1 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-09 18:26:23)

Topic: PC building advice needed

Hello,

Could I get some advice here, please.

I want to build a PC intended to be used primarily for audio. My number one priority is low latency, stability, reliability, hassle-free, etc. Live VI playing. Not for heavy projects, few tracks, no more than 10, some VSTs here and there. No more than 2 tracks for external audio recording. Some guys need tons of RAM (for orchestral stuff, etc.) - not my case. Even super powerful CPU - realistically anything modern will be quite enough for my needs, so, it is secondary in the list of priorities.

I was surprised reading this forum that seems Windows 7 is the better choice for audio, so this will be my choice I guess.

So the actual question is which chipset (platform) could be considered the best for my needs? Z370 - i7-8700? Maybe some exact motherboard recommendations? Better USB controller choices?

What about Mini-ITX, any underwater stones here? Like this one: https://www.computeruniverse.ru/product … itx-ac.asp

Up to now I was quite happily using the integrated video, but still could consider getting a dedicated GPU if recommended.

I'm a recent Babyface Pro owner.

Thank you.

2 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-08 12:04:39)

Re: PC building advice needed

Hello, I still asking for help if you don't mind. I'm asking my questions on another forums but my guess is RME people definitely know this stuff in and out.

Say, i3 8100 vs. i7 8700K. Is it safe to say that at the same low-moderate loads they will make the same amount of heat, but i7K would just have much more room to go for if needed?

Or, using that settings I'm not familiar with yet, auto power management (off), so if I need to have it to be full power all the time, that means i3 will be significantly cooler?

@ramses, could you help me with this please?

In principle they will be equally cool under the same load. Even under full load they could be the same if they have a cooler that is right for them (so the i7 needs a little better cooler). I don't think heat is such an issue. You could say that maybe the power used by the i7 is half more going from 4 to 6 cores.

Sorry can't help you with mobo's etc. I am still on older tech (p45 Q9550 OCed to 3.6ghz no heat issues)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

4 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-08 14:50:07)

OK, thank you vinark.

I keep reading stuff, C-States, ParkControl Utility, etc. So the basic question is is there ANY advantages i3 have, besides the price, compared to i7K in heat/cooling noise regards? Anything that can't be configured manually for i7K to match any lower CPU if needed? Seems no from what I was able to find, is not it?

Even if a cpu runs at full speed it doesn't use full power. It just can't lower it's clock and voltages. And it very much depends on the motherboard and bios if you need to turn of all power savings. Some run fine with it. But again, power saving can lower the power usage under idle and low load from lets say 15 watts to 5 watts. That is all. Without power saving it doesn't use the full 65 (i3) or 95 watts(i7) when doing nothing.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Without power saving it doesn't use the full 65 (i3) or 95 watts(i7) when doing nothing.

Really? That's how I thought it works. Thank you.

7 (edited by vinark 2018-03-08 16:48:53)

Yes, so power saving saves extra when doing nothing...Which is what most computers do all day, nothing, like typing and browsing, which is nothing cpu wise and then it saves quit a lot, percentage wise. On battery operated laptop this makes sense. With a daw not as much....

There is a program called LinX (intell burn test) Which really lets your cpu work 100% and then it gets hot, really hot.

Vincent, Amsterdam