Topic: Complete newbie. How do I get started and what's possible?

Hi!

I've been using the RME UFX on firewire for years via firewire on an old 2006k. Recently I notice crackling and popping. I think it's the old machine not able to deal with plugins but it's even happening on mixdown at the highest buffer rate. This actually coincided when I upgraded to Cubase 9.5. I'm using Windows 10 professional.

Also, I miss the not worrying about latency that comes with PCIe, at home, and don't know what I need to use my RME UFX as an interface and what card I would need. I also plan to finally upgrade my computer to an i9 so that may take care of my problems.

At any rate, if I were to use my RME UFX as an interface is the RME HDSPe RayDAT the only card I would use? Does it come with appropriate cables or do I need to buy them separately? Where do I plug them in? The optical and midi ports or would I now connect my two MIDI directly into the card?

Does totalmix still have the same options my USB/Firewire interface has?

Any help, guide, advice where to buy and what to buy will be greatly appreciated! In the many years I've had my RME/UFX I've never had to post here so just signed up today. I absolutely love it. It's a fantastic machine except my computer is now old and, I'm told, USB 2.0 is no longer relevant. Thank you for any help.

Re: Complete newbie. How do I get started and what's possible?

Perhaps you mean "converter", not interface. The UFX is a completely independent audio interface, and USB 2.0 is fully sufficient to operate it.

You can, of course, also use it as a standalone converter connected to a Raydat, but if there is a performance issue of your PC, a PCIe card won't necessarily solve that....
I would suggest to try the UFX connected to USB with your new system and see what happens.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Perhaps you mean "converter", not interface. The UFX is a completely independent audio interface, and USB 2.0 is fully sufficient to operate it.

You can, of course, also use it as a standalone converter connected to a Raydat, but if there is a performance issue of your PC, a PCIe card won't necessarily solve that....
I would suggest to try the UFX connected to USB with your new system and see what happens.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you for your time and insight. I will try that before I look further into purchasing the Raydat PCIe card.

Still, if you can provide me a link to a guide as to what i will need and how it can be connected, I would be greatly appreciative.

Best Regards,

John

4 (edited by ramses 2018-03-23 00:08:22)

EDIT1

USB2 is still the standard if a recording interface has less then 64 i/o channels.
Therefore even the new UFX II has still USB2 ports.
The UFX+ requires USB3/Thunderbolt as it has 94 IN / OUT.

If you hear crackles with the UFX even at higher sample rates might indicate that
- either you have more complex projects require bigger CPU or
- that you maybe installed new driver / HW which block your EDIT1: CPU

If you get a more powerful machine I would try the UFX again.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

USB2 is still the standard if a recording interface has less then 64 i/o channels.
Therefore even the new UFX II has still USB2 ports.
The UFX+ requires USB3/Thunderbolt as it has 94 IN / OUT.

If you hear crackles with the UFX even at higher sample rates might indicate that
- either you have more complex projects require bigger CPU or
- that you maybe installed new driver / HW which block your machine

If you get a more powerful machine I would try the UFX again.

Thank you, sir, I will do that. I do think it's related to the lack of power of my old system.