Topic: Fireface 802 detection issue (Windows 10)

Hi,
I've had a search through previous posts but non of those I've seen help here.

I'd be grateful for some help with the following. I have a Fireface 802 connected to PC (Windows 10 Pro, Asus Rampage V motherboard) via USB. I've had intermittent problems in the past with audio software (e.g. Cakewalk Sonar, Digicheck) not picking up the 802, usually (in the end) requiring me to uninstall then reinstall the 802 drivers before working again.
Recently, things were working well, until now.

I tried, as before, plugging into a few different usb ports with no success. I then uninstalled the Fireface driver, re-downloaded the latest version and reinstalled. Unfortunately, after PC power off/on the 802 was not being detected. I then checked Device Manager and saw that the 802 was sitting outside any group and on itself (not in sound video and game controllers section) and with a  no driver present error (even after a few more reboots). I then tried the 'Update driver - Browse my computer' option, pointing to "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\fireface.inf_amd64_cf40cf03280fb90f". Unfortunately, this was not successful ('no compatible driver found'...something odd there maybe) and I tried another driver install route - 'Let me pick from a list of available devices' - selecting sound controllers then 'RME Fireface 802' from the drop down list. This was successful (I'm assuming it used the same FileRepository folder as above since driver versions look the latest/same), as can be seen from the screenshots below. After a cold reboot the TotalMix and Fireface Settings programs are sitting in the taskbar.
All appear ok BUT, damn, on 802 power-on (blue usb led is on solid), the TotalMix software is not launching. I tried double-clicking both these programs from the taskbar (and System32 location) but none would open. Digicheck 5.91 does run but states 'No Device running' in the bottom right status area. On the front of the Fireface 802 the blue USB led is permanently lit. I've also tried a couple of different USB cables with no success. It's annoying that Device Manager sees the 802 and drivers seem ok (I think!), the 802 is connected (solid blue light) but no joy.

I'm starting to think that my motherboard may have issues as I've also had intermittent issues getting my external hard drives detected from the ports at the front of the PC case (HDD detection freezing on occasion). I also tried updating all motherboard USB drivers from the device manager as part of early troubleshooting for the above.

...I hope this isn't the case and there's something daft I've overlooked.

Status after driver installation:-

http://666kb.com/i/ds450hmv9jbr87upb.jpg

Re: Fireface 802 detection issue (Windows 10)

You use USB? But installed a FireWire driver?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Jim90 2018-03-27 13:14:59)

Re: Fireface 802 detection issue (Windows 10)

Aw nuts!! Yes, it's meant to be USB. Will try again with correct drivers (I hope).

[Update] Excellent! all working. You can leave this post as a reminder of the pain you will go through if you click the wrong thing. I'm going to blame age.