1 (edited by hexachordia 2018-03-26 19:23:30)

Topic: How to mute incoming mic signal while playback

Hi. I am a newcomer to TotalMix FX and the RME UCX. I have a somewhat easy question: How do I mute the incoming microphone signal (analog 1 & 2)while playing back a take in my daw (Samplitude)? I thought that turning down the AN 1 and An 2 in the hardware playback would do this? I also have a slightly annoying sound in my headphones while recording from a short delay of the signal being double (both return from daw and the routed signal in the ucx at the same time?) How do I get rid of this? I thought muting the an 1/2 in the software playback would do this. Something elementary I must have missed. Thanks for all the great contributions in this forum!

2 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-26 19:30:07)

Re: How to mute incoming mic signal while playback

1) Normally you want to monitor the incoming signal in either audio interface or the DAW, if any.
2) You DAW should be able to handle the functionality of no monitoring during the playback, it is usually set by default.

pianopictures wrote:

1) Normally you want to monitor the incoming signal in either audio interface or the DAW, if any.
2) You DAW should be able to handle the functionality of no monitoring during the playback, it is usually set by default.

Thanks. I thought so myself but haven't managed to make it work.

4 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-26 19:33:28)

Please keep in mind that your DAW have the direct access to your audio interface input channels, so you don't need to "route" them to any of your outs to be able to record them, as it would be the case with the hardware mixer. I.e. you may want to keep your input faders at zero in Total Mix FX (depending of the Operation mode).

pianopictures wrote:

Please keep in mind that your DAW have the direct access to your audio interface input channels, so you don't need to "route" them to any of your outs to be able to record them, as it would be the case with the hardware mixer. I.e. you may want to keep your input faders at zero in Total Mix FX (depending of the Operation mode).

No I have all faders down but still the same. (except phones 1)

To put it another way: How do I mute the incoming adat channels an 1&2 in totalmix so I only hear playback from the daw software without disconnecting?

Routing .. see this thread, thanks

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26909

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Many thanks, Ramses. I think I get the main idea but there must be an easy way to make a shortcut so that incoming signal from microphones are muted while playing bach the take from DAW?  With previous hardware I have been using this was very easy (Lynx).

1) Disable the monitoring through Total Mix FX, fader on the mic channel should be at zero for your outputs.
2) Set your DAW to mute the monitoring during the playback.

pianopictures wrote:

1) Disable the monitoring through Total Mix FX, fader on the mic channel should be at zero for your outputs.
2) Set your DAW to mute the monitoring during the playback.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Newbie here, but if I understand you correctly you simply need to press the solo button on the 2nd row of totalmix (software playback) which has the stereo main output of your daw. I call this track the "computer return", as it also carries any sounds from my computer: iTunes, films, well any audio from the pc.  In my case I use the pair on the far left middle row. With this soloed I am only hearing the daw output in stereo. Some people like to add individual daw tracks or other submixes on the middle row of TM, so I suppose you would also need to solo each of those too in order to get just the sounds of your daw setup. I never tried that but Im sure it would work too.
Im finding that whilst the solo button is my friend for this reason, it is quite hard to see when it`s on (27" monitor), and I have had panic attacks when we cant hear anything from the vocal mics (recording our band rehearsal) until I realise Ive still got the "computer return" soloed. Doh!

cheers
plank

plankspanker wrote:

Newbie here, but if I understand you correctly you simply need to press the solo button on the 2nd row of totalmix (software playback) which has the stereo main output of your daw. I call this track the "computer return", as it also carries any sounds from my computer: iTunes, films, well any audio from the pc.  In my case I use the pair on the far left middle row. With this soloed I am only hearing the daw output in stereo. Some people like to add individual daw tracks or other submixes on the middle row of TM, so I suppose you would also need to solo each of those too in order to get just the sounds of your daw setup. I never tried that but Im sure it would work too.
Im finding that whilst the solo button is my friend for this reason, it is quite hard to see when it`s on (27" monitor), and I have had panic attacks when we cant hear anything from the vocal mics (recording our band rehearsal) until I realise Ive still got the "computer return" soloed. Doh!

cheers
plank

Brilliant. That will do it. I'll try it tomorrow!
Many thanks!

13 (edited by ramses 2018-03-29 05:46:41)

You think maybe too complicated if I read about the usage of the solo button in SW playback channels.
Sure you can use it, but its not required to use it this way.

Use the submix mode of TM.
Click to the output for which you want to create the submix (like i.e. for monitors or a phones submix)

Then simply use the faders of
- HW inputs, if you want to listen to something within near-realtime (zero latency)
- SW playback, if you want to listen to audio from PC (DAW, applications) with a little latency (Round trip time of the driver depending on ASIO buffersize, the larger, the higher the delay)

Then you can store a certain routing as a Snapshot to be able to recall it at any time quickly.

Additional care with Mic inputs not to create a feedback loop, because the HW inputs of your recording interface are always passed through to the DAW/application, the mute button is only active for the submixes that you create in TotalMix.
So if you press the monitor button in your DAW, then this input can become active again, because the DAW then will most likely route it to your main out channel inside of the DAW.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

14 (edited by ramses 2018-03-29 06:16:54)

hexachordia wrote:

Hi. I am a newcomer to TotalMix FX and the RME UCX. I have a somewhat easy question: How do I mute the incoming microphone signal (analog 1 & 2)while playing back a take in my daw (Samplitude)? I thought that turning down the AN 1 and An 2 in the hardware playback would do this? I also have a slightly annoying sound in my headphones while recording from a short delay of the signal being double (both return from daw and the routed signal in the ucx at the same time?) How do I get rid of this? I thought muting the an 1/2 in the software playback would do this. Something elementary I must have missed. Thanks for all the great contributions in this forum!

OK back to your initial question .... I have a certain feeling you require step by step instructions:

Some preparation, not necessarily required, but its nice to have phones and near field monitors in the monitor section of TM FX. TM: push assign button:
- assign your near field monitors (assumed AN1/2) to Main Out
- assign your phones (for me its PH9/10) to Phones1

TM: ensure you are in submix mode (upper right -> routing mode: "submix")

Example you want to listen via near field monitors and don't want a feedback loop via Mic

TM: in the bottom row, in the monitor section on the right, click to "Main" (AN 1/2).
Now you create a submix for this particular output AN1/2 (to your near-field monitors)!
Raise / lower the faders from HW inputs and SW playbacks to create the mix for your near field monitors.
If you want to prevent that i.e. Mic9 (in my case) will be recorded and played back you need to perform 2 things
1. in TM: lower the fader of Mic9 HW input to zero or press the mute button or both (what you prefer)
Note: this only prevents that signals from Mic9 will be routed to AN1/2 inside of TM FX.
The Mute and Fader positions only are in effect inside of TM FX.
The HW inputs are always passed to the application / DAW.
So you need also to look, that you do not monitor the Microphone input inside of your DAW, because then you would get a feedback loop.
2. in your DAW: look to the Mic9 input and ensure that you do not push the monitor button or additionally mute the channel or lower the fader to zero.
If your submix is finalized, then save it i.e. to Snapshot1 and rename it to "Monitor" or whatever you like to indicate that this is the submix to playback on your Monitor.

If you are recording then you need another submix, where the Monitors are muted because I assume you put your headphones on to avoid feedback loops when you record vocals.
1st step is to mute Main out.
Then click to your phones output, unmute if required and create a submix for phones 1.
You want to listen i.e. from SW playback AN1/2, this is most likely what comes out from DAW, if you choosed in the DAW AN1/2 as your output.
If you want to listen to your vocals directly / zero latency, then unmute Mic9, raise the fader until you have a comfortably listening volume and good ratio between vocals and playback track. You can also lower the fader of SW playback AN 1/2 (from DAW), so that you stay below 0dB to avoid distortion.
This you can save then to i.e. snapshot2 for Phones (if you record using your phones).

ramses wrote:
hexachordia wrote:

OK back to your initial question .... I have a certain feeling you require step by step instructions:

Some preparation, not necessarily required, but its nice to have phones and near field monitors in the monitor section of TM FX. TM: push assign button:
- assign your near field monitors (assumed AN1/2) to Main Out
- assign your phones (for me its PH9/10) to Phones1

TM: ensure you are in submix mode (upper right -> routing mode: "submix")

Example you want to listen via near field monitors and don't want a feedback loop via Mic

TM: in the bottom row, in the monitor section on the right, click to "Main" (AN 1/2).
Now you create a submix for this particular output AN1/2 (to your near-field monitors)!
Raise / lower the faders from HW inputs and SW playbacks to create the mix for your near field monitors.
If you want to prevent that i.e. Mic9 (in my case) will be recorded and played back you need to perform 2 things
1. in TM: lower the fader of Mic9 HW input to zero or press the mute button or both (what you prefer)
Note: this only prevents that signals from Mic9 will be routed to AN1/2 inside of TM FX.
The Mute and Fader positions only are in effect inside of TM FX.
The HW inputs are always passed to the application / DAW.
So you need also to look, that you do not monitor the Microphone input inside of your DAW, because then you would get a feedback loop.
2. in your DAW: look to the Mic9 input and ensure that you do not push the monitor button or additionally mute the channel or lower the fader to zero.
If your submix is finalized, then save it i.e. to Snapshot1 and rename it to "Monitor" or whatever you like to indicate that this is the submix to playback on your Monitor.

If you are recording then you need another submix, where the Monitors are muted because I assume you put your headphones on to avoid feedback loops when you record vocals.
1st step is to mute Main out.
Then click to your phones output, unmute if required and create a submix for phones 1.
You want to listen i.e. from SW playback AN1/2, this is most likely what comes out from DAW, if you choosed in the DAW AN1/2 as your output.
If you want to listen to your vocals directly / zero latency, then unmute Mic9, raise the fader until you have a comfortably listening volume and good ratio between vocals and playback track. You can also lower the fader of SW playback AN 1/2 (from DAW), so that you stay below 0dB to avoid distortion.
This you can save then to i.e. snapshot2 for Phones (if you record using your phones).

Many thanks. You are right about the need of a step by step guidance. I'll  try this as mentioned above, but for now I will find a different solution. I am sure totalmix is brilliant, but you need to get the terminolgy right in order to understand all the possibilities. Thank you! Great forum!

Give it simply some time.

BTW I came from 2 different products for recording
- Terratec EWS 88 MT
- Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 && OctoPre Mk II

Terratec Mixer was very limited without any routing capability / software for PC. Focusrite Mixcontrol offered more control, but I was never satisfied, as the usage of this software was not logic and simply a pain for me.

After ~10 years of struggeling with Terratec and then Focusrite I got finally a RME UFX in 2014. Since then I am really amazed how good an user interface can be. Its logic and structured. I am still very excited about it.

You only need to give yourself a little time, to become familiar with it, this doesn't come over night.

After understanding the few basic operational concepts of TotalMix FX you will also find out
how easy things can be at the end.

I have another recommendation for you...
For the time being you could also use the TM FX operation mode "Digital Audio Workstation Mode".
Then you do the Mixing fully inside of your DAW.