Topic: UFX+ on Mac Pro early 2008 without Thunderbolt or USB3.0

Hello guys,

I recently win a MacPro early 2008, from my wife, it's a great machine 2.8 dual quadcore Xeon, but unfurtunately without thunderbolt or usb3 on board.

So I was wondering if you guys could advice me what can I go to run a UFX+ via thunderbolt through a PCIex 16x port. Or USB3.0 through the same port, but honesty I rather go thunderbolt
Any thunderbolt 1, 2 or 3 PCIex model that is recommended for this machine?

any tweaking?

2 (edited by ramses 2018-03-29 05:28:17)

Re: UFX+ on Mac Pro early 2008 without Thunderbolt or USB3.0

In the Windows PC area you can equip thunderbolt cards only to mainboards that are supported for it:
a) Thunderbolt Support in the BIOS
b) So called Thunderbolt "AIC header" on the mainboard
I also read that Thunderbolt Cards, ie those from Asus, only run on Asus mainbords that support it.
So you might even not be able to use an Asus Thunderbolt add-on card on maybe a Gigabyte board with TB support.

Its rather likely that this all is the same for Apple....

In this article I found information, that this thunderbolt AIC header is a connection between BIOS/Mainboard and Thunderbolt card for license verification. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/i … -port.html

"That motherboard header requirement has more to do with license verification. It's not chipset related at all. I think it has to do with the motherboard's BIOS, since only certain motherboards are supported. The Thunderbolt license key would be stored in the motherboard's BIOS and used during the add-in card's authentication process during POST."

Thunderbolt is for me personal the biggest disappointment in terms of industry design. I would like to add such a card as well, but can't due to these strong design / deployment limitations. And you merely find boards with Xeon and thunderbolt support, in my case for socket 2011-3 so that I could keep CPU and DRAM not having to buy everything newly. The one (!) I found from Asus looked like a board that nobody buys because of the price.

My advice: Get a good working USB3 PCIe card instead and thats it. The manual of the UFX+ tells you what chipsets are supported. This Sonnet card, which I also use, is very nice and supported for Apple. I would choose the model with the 4 FL1100 USB3 chips on board which requires a PCIe x4 socket. Then you have 4 times a dedicated USB3 controller behind each of the 4 ports: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/alleg … 3pcie.html

"Mac Compatibility
- Mac Pro® (with card slots)
- macOS® 10.8.5+
- macOS High Sierra compatible"

Where to get in the EU: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/ … 79334.html

The drivers on Win7 are superb, they use the new more effective MSI (message signaled interrupts).
On Windows 10 the driver support shall be included into the OS already.
Mac seems to be supported, I could think of that this card runs as well there, simply try it out.
With this card I can connect 2 x UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro to my Win7 / Win10 system.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you very much for quick response RAMSES, I really apreciatte that!

Hum, so i'll let PCI-E TB asside for awhile...

I just found the Alegro (non pro) model, that works like a HUB. but I just have one UFX+ so I not necessarly need 4 dedicated ports.

I could try it on MAC OS instead of using bootcamp artecfact to run Windows.
But If I was sure that I could properly Install Windows drivers for this PCI-e running on Macpro based computer I could go for that too, once I have All programs for Windows and I'm a PC guy.

But I don't know if Bootcamp could decrease performance in some way running on a MAC computer. Have anyone noticed it?

Best is to try virtualization with your own use case / applications, then you know.

I would recommend still the pro, if you are not limited by budget, because then you can
even add more recording interfaces to your device without having any hassles or to connect an USB3 disk additionally without any impact on your recording. Otherwise the other 3 ports are simply of no use for you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

But virtualization allow Windows Drivers for periphericals? Or do I have to run mac drivers "virtualized" for windowns?
Asside of that, will virtualization "steal" CPU or memory performance or create Drivers imcopatibilities? I meant, is totally safe to use boot camp for secure and professional audio aplications?

I just looked, bootcamp is not using virtualization, it runs Windows on Apple HW and comes with the proper drivers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

Great Ramses thanks!

Before I start to install everything and a give a chance to bootcamp, I'll need to buy some stuff and would apreciatte any sugestion by the way.

SSD drive - No clue which one is better, but I was thinking about samsung 860 PRO 500gb.(?)

USB 3 card - Do you know this one?  http://shop.caldigit.com/us/Adapters%20 … -6GU3-Plus  it's USB3.1 do you think that could be faster and a better investiment than USB3.0 for UFX+? or should I go Allegro pro instead?

8 (edited by ramses 2018-03-30 16:22:49)

Better get 860 EVO with 1 TB instead of the 860 Pro with 512 GB.

The USB3.1 cards that you link makes absolutely no sense. The webpage even does not tell what chipset is built-in.
Nobody knows whether the drivers are good.

Don't know how you come to the idea to take a random card with random chipset,
where you can read in the handbook and in this forum that it is very important to have a supported chipset.

Additionally you wouldn't have any performance benefit, as the UFX+ only supports USB3.
Next thing is if you plan to use the 2nd USB3.1 port for a quick USB3.1 external disk, then its rather likely that the 2nd device impacts the UFX+ as they share the same USB3.1 controller.

I gave you already a recommendation for real good reason, why you put this into question ? Re-read post #2.

Besides of this I do not trust such combo cards USB3.1 and Sata.

Make sense!
Much more now that I understood that Sonnet cames with Fresco chipset! I wasn't realize that before, I meant, you mention FL1100 but I didn't get lol! That's Great!

I'll def go for Allegro Pro!
Thanks A lot!

You're welcome and good luck :-)