1 (edited by rajeev 2018-03-31 09:57:14)

Topic: Babyface Pro getting hot quickly

Hello Forum,

I happen to purchase a BF pro two days ago , but right after i setup it up on my macbook pro 13 2015 laptop , I am noticing that BF pro unit gets quite hot even on iTunes playback just for 15 minutes. It gets much hotter when working Logic.
I have asked quite a few owners of social media most of whom have said that they don't face this issue. Also one of them said that the unit gets warm but only after 4-6 hours of continuous use.

Is this normal? I dont think it should get warm/hot just after 15 mins of iTunes playback. Apart from this the unit itself is working in stellar condition. but only the heat is worrisome for me.

Has anyone faced this ?

Re: Babyface Pro getting hot quickly

Do you have a temperature sensor ? Hot is "relative" ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Do you have a temperature sensor ? Hot is "relative" ..

No. But it does feel hot to touch on the face of the unit which tells me the circuit inside might actually have higher temperature.

4 (edited by pianopictures 2018-03-31 14:56:42)

It could be possibly related to this (page 8 of the manual):

The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption!

pianopictures wrote:

The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption!

Yes I get what you mean but I am not using monitors , I am mixing through headphones connected to the high impedance headphone out on the unit.

rajeev wrote:
pianopictures wrote:

Yes I get what you mean but I am not using monitors , I am mixing through headphones connected to the high impedance headphone out on the unit.

You need to know the temps.  If it's under 50 degrees centigrade it's probably fine (depending on where you live - is if you mixing in a 35 degree climate the unit will be a lot hotter).

Basically the unis get warm - it's normal specially with their metal casing.  I'd only worry if it was getting too hot to touch.  A bit of warmth is fine.