Topic: RME FF 800 + Ferrofish A16 MKII Issues

Hey there,

i've got a Problem with my FF800 and my Ferrofish A16 and i hope somebody can held me, sort this out.

The Ferrofish is connected to the FF800 via ADAT (ins and outs) and is also receiving its sync via ADAT.

The strange thing happening is, that the input level from the ferrofish is extrem low. Almost no amplitude on the

Ferrofish Meters aswell. Tried it with different input sources (Synths, Modular, Phone etc.)

I also tried to crank up the input levels on the ferrofish but almost no effect. I can't sort it out from here.

I didn't used the ferrofish in the last time and before some time everything worked in this configuration.

But now something seems to be wrong. It wasn't connected for over a year or so, and i forgot to put the little rubber plugs

into the the ADAT sockets. Could this be the case, and if so what can i do to clean them. But wouldn't there be any signal at all if

if this would be the matter?

The sync seems to be alright no flashing sync lights on my RME  and the Ferrofish tells me aswell sync is fine.

So i really don't know what to do from here.

Does anyone here had the same problem and can help me? Would be awesome.

Kind Regards

And thank you in advance

Karim

Re: RME FF 800 + Ferrofish A16 MKII Issues

All I know is that if you have sync and audio it is not the adat cables.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by SF_Green 2018-03-23 16:38:55)

Not sure. I would contact support at both Ferrofish and RME. You also might try posting this at Gearslutz since it could be either vendor's product. Lots of traffic there too so more people will see this.

Good luck.

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

If your analog inputs to the ferrofish aren't even registering on the ferrofish's own input meters, I'd think the ferrofish is to blame at this point.  Do those same analog input sources work at a proper level when connected directly to the FF800's analog LINE inputs?

Does the Ferrofish's input metering change (increase) if you run it on internal clock instead of locking to FF800's ADAT?  Doubtful this is a clocking issue - but ruling that out will basically leave the ferrofish (or the analog input connections feeding it) as the culprit...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hey guys, thanks for your replies.

To answer randymans questions... Yes if i connect the same sources directly to the FF800 inputs, the level is alright.

No there is no change in metering if i change clocks on the ferrofish.

I do think aswell that it's the analog input connectors, but what's making me bit suspicious is that every one of the 16 connectors

failing at the same time? Seems a bit odd to me...

I will check with ferrofish support what's wrong with my unit. But thanks to you for your time.

Kind regards
Kareem