Topic: Madi XT dropouts

Have my Madi XT via USB3 connected to my PC... windows 10pro ASUS 299ex 32gb ram Pentium 9...
So far so good... works all fine and I’m rme User since years...
But suddenly since I upgreat my XT and new drivers I have dropouts on audio... somethimes for a minutes nothing, but somethimes every feu seconds... really enjoying.
Enyone with same problem,,,, or some ideas what’s the issue...
Best. MILOS.

Re: Madi XT dropouts

What's the USB 3 chipset here (see my email also)?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Kann leider nur schreiben was an Homepage von ASUS ist...

Und auch noch link zu meinem Main Board.. vielleicht kann ma ja da was rausfinden...
Email habe ich leider kein gekriegt....
https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-DELUXE/

Intel X299 Chipsatz
Der Intel X299-Chipsatz unterstützt die Intel-Core-X-Prozessoren für den LGA 2066-Sockel. Durch serielle Punkt-zu-Punkt-Verbindungen erzielt der Chipsatz eine höhere Bandbreite und Stabilität und damit eine verbesserte Leistung. Der X299 bietet bis zu 10 USB-3.1-Gen-1-Anschlüsse, 8 SATA-Anschlüsse mit 6 Gbit/s und Unterstützung für M.2 mit 32 Gbit/s für schnellen Datenabruf.

4 (edited by ramses 2018-03-29 17:05:36)

Question is to which port it has been connected ...

Either to chipset (X299) or to any of the below mentioned USB3.1 ports in USB3 compat mode with an ASM3142 chipset behind.

https://geizhals.de/asus-prime-x299-del … 41156.html

Formfaktor: ATX • Chipsatz: Intel X299 • RAM: 8x DDR4 DIMM, quad PC4-32000U/DDR4-4000, max. 128GB (UDIMM) • Erweiterungsslots: 4x PCIe 3.0 x16 (2x x16, 1x x8, 1x x4), 2x PCIe 3.0 x1, 1x M.2/M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4/SATA, 2280/2260/2242), 1x M.2/M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4, 22110/2280/2260/2242), 1x U.2/SFF-8643 (PCIe 3.0 x4) • Anschlüsse extern: 3x USB-A 3.1 (ASM3142), 1x USB-C 3.1 (ASM3142), 4x USB-A 3.0, 4x USB-A 2.0, 1x Gb LAN (Intel I219-V), 1x Gb LAN (Intel I211-AT), 5x Klinke, 1x Toslink, 1x USB BIOS Flashback • Anschlüsse intern: 1x USB 3.1 (20-Pin Key-A, ASM3142), 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, 7x SATA 6Gb/s (X299), 1x VROC-Header, 1x Thunderbolt AIC (5-Pin Header) • Header Kühlung: 2x CPU-Lüfter 4-Pin, 5x Lüfter 4-Pin • Header Beleuchtung: 2x RGB-Header 4-Pin (5050) • Audio: 7.1 (Realtek ALC1220) • RAID-Level: 0/1/5/10 (X299) • Multi-GPU: NVIDIA 3-Way-SLI (x16/x16, x16/x16/x8), AMD 3-Way-CrossFireX (x16/x16, x16/x16/x8) • Stromanschlüsse: 1x 24-Pin ATX, 1x 8-Pin EPS12V, 1x 4-Pin ATX12V • CPU-Phasen: 8 • Grafik: N/A • Beleuchtung: RGB, 2 Zonen (Chipsatz-Kühler, I/O-Cover) • Besonderheiten: Audio+solid capacitors, Diagnostic LED, 1x M.2-Passivkühler, Bluetooth 4.1 + WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ad, OLED-Panel • Herstellergarantie: drei Jahre (Abwicklung nur über Händler)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I suppose i just need to reconnect and hope that I’ll get the right port with Chipsatz Intel X299...
I was already looking for the chipsatz and thay use ASmedia chip for USB3... and according RME is not compatible...
May be RME should try to get work there gear also with this Chipsatz while it is so in common...
I will contact Asus to let me know what USB3 port is with intel X299 chip... in there user manual I just can not find it....
So bad luck... and I spend 4.500€ for PC...

6 (edited by ramses 2018-03-30 10:02:40)

If the chipset does not work according to standards, then its broken. For some issues you might be able to workaround on the other side, but certain things can't be fixed.

One example which I know very well is the broken TI XIO2200A Firewire 400 chip. The main issue with this was, if I remember right, that it didn't reliably issue a hardware interrupt once data arrives. This you can't workaround on driver level.

From what I read in this forum basically the USB3 chipsets from ASMedia were bad.

For USB3.1 chipsets not 100% sure .. maybe there is not much experience with this, because you would normally save the "precious" USB3.1 ports (precious in terms of Bandwidth) for other things ...

I personally made the experience that my UFX+ worked well on a Startech USB3.1 PCIe card with ASM2142 chip in USB3 compat mode. No long term test but worked with my stress test project with 400 tracks.

But there is no guarantee that your newer Startech USB3.1 controller with newer chipset works the same ...

I think there are reasons if RME documents in the handbook that there are issues with ASMEDIA. I would for this reason recommend, to take this information as serious and simply take the stuff which is documented to work.

So either use the USB3 ports from chipset or do the same as me and get an additional card with the supported FL1100 chips.

The Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E is a really fantastic card. It has behind each of the 4 ports a dedicated USB3 controller based on the supported FL1100 chip.

The driver for Win7 is really good as it uses the more efficient MSI driver model (message signalled interrupts). In Win10 drivers are provided automatically by Microsoft.

Although my Chipset on the board is an Intel C610, which normally works very well I came finally in trouble when connecting besides 2 UFX+, 1 ADI-2 Pro also additional peripheral stuff like USB3 bridge and USB Bluetooth adapter.

The only solution which really helped was to isolate the 3 Recording Interfaces / ADDA converter behind this Sonnet USB3 controller.

Now everything works like a charm and even with 2 UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro permanently connected via USB.

USB has some builtin "magic" .. somehow the devices seem to impact each other .. I don't know for whatever reason. But if the USB from Chipset is not stable enough anymore, I can only simply give you the advice to do what I did.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your answer. Im anyway playing in my mind to buy me ufx+.. but ill have the same problem if i connect it over usb3...
Any experience how is with thunderbolt... im not such PC freek...

8 (edited by ramses 2018-03-31 09:54:56)

milos.m wrote:

Thanks for your answer. Im anyway playing in my mind to buy me ufx+.. but ill have the same problem if i connect it over usb3...
Any experience how is with thunderbolt... im not such PC freek...

You say it yourself, 1st you should get stability with USB3.
I told you about the benefits of the Sonnet card.

Why not try this 1st ? You can order the card and even send it back if it doesnt solve your issue.
So either you spend relatively few money or the thing is cost neutral for you.

Ofc there is always a chance that there are other things causing this, but IMHO you would have a definitively better chance with the Sonnet card which you could easily try out 1st.

Thunderbold could also be a nice solution with the UFX+.

I just order USB3 card... mid of next week supose to come and I’ll set it up into my system... I hope it will work fine... if not I need to check thunderbolt UFX+... but this cost me again lot of money...

milos.m wrote:

I just order USB3 card... mid of next week supose to come and I’ll set it up into my system... I hope it will work fine... if not I need to check thunderbolt UFX+... but this cost me again lot of money...

Why you say "again" ? If the USB3 card works, there is no real need to go for Thunderbolt.
If the USB3 card doesnt work, you give it back anyway .. then you will get the money back and try thunderbolt.

In regards to the 2 possibilities from driver perspective:

1. if you keep USB / MADIface driver then you have the advantage, that this driver also supports i.e. the ADI-2 Pro/AE/DAC and other RME devices.

2. If you use the separate Thunderbolt driver then you have the advantage that "pitch" is supported, which is not possible via USB3 in that transfer mode.

Sorry. Didnt wont to critisize u...U missunderstod my "again" 
What i wont to say is that i need to spend "again" lot of money for new soundcard... in this case ufx+ even i do not really use all inputs and possibilities from ufx+... my system is all based on madi ..  and i clock all with antelope atomclock... so i think no need for pich... but lets see. I do hope it works with new usb card just fine. If not ill go for ufx+

Don't worry, a few misunderstandings can easily happen, I simply was wondering what you mean exactly as I didn't understand immediately.

Yes I think this is a good approach to check 1st whether the new USB3 card brings the desired benefits.

Let u know once I’ll instal a card how it goes.

Get the card installed and work just fine. Thank u for the support. Milos

Very nice to hear. Did you get the Pro with the 4 USB chips (Sonnet USB3-PRO-4PM-E) ?

Yes. And work just fine. No dropouts any more.
Thank u.

One question....
Any idea how to optimize PC for better buffer latency... if I try to work with 32 just don’t work... seems like stabile at 128 or 256...
Any idea what to do may be in miso or any other configuration...
Thanks.

milos.m wrote:

One question....
Any idea how to optimize PC for better buffer latency... if I try to work with 32 just don’t work... seems like stabile at 128 or 256...
Any idea what to do may be in miso or any other configuration...
Thanks.

Puh, this is an extensive topic and I wrote about it already so often/much here in the forum.

Please use the search function of the forum and look for LatencyMon, many thanks.