1 (edited by cscan 2016-06-17 21:45:17)

Topic: Fireface 400 Installation with Windows 10

I recently built a desktop to use with my Fireface 400. I installed a siig firewire pci card with a chipset of TSB43AB23 (TI single chip):

http://www.siig.com/it-products/firewir … t-pci.html

When I plug in the fireface nothing happens. The fireface's firmware is 1.71 and the newest Windows driver 3.116 is installed on the computer. The host controller my machine is the Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. I have also tried using the 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. The Fireface works perfectly well with a mac laptop so it could be related to the chipset of the firewire card - but I have read that TI chipsets (and SIIG cards) generally work. Another possibility is that it's related to the host controller; I tried to add a legacy host controller via device manager's 'add legacy hardware' menu item. But, when I select 1394 host controllers there are no manufactures/models listed so I can't complete the action. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Collin

Re: Fireface 400 Installation with Windows 10

I have since installed the legacy 1394 drivers as described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191

I then updated my 1394 host controller to use the legacy host controller. No such luck - the fireface still doesn't turn on.

3 (edited by Nordcore 2016-06-24 04:51:46)

What mainboard/chipset do you have?

There is some problem with Intel Z170 chipset. (Some FW boards working fine on other main boards do not work on this chipset. )
(I'm still working on that... see https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=23876 )

It's a KCMA-D8 Motherboard, which has a AMD SR5670/SP5100 chipset. Here's a link:

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers … ns/KCMAD8/

Is there anyway to debug the Fireface with another computer?

Make a parallel installation of Windows 7 on the computer (other partition, other internal or external Disk).
Could also be a problem of Windows 10 still IMHO.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The FF400 (and other devices that use the same driver) works just fine on Win 10, your conclusion is a bit premature here... What exactly does not work as expected? Can you test the unit's basic functionality with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by osigurdsson 2018-04-12 02:57:30)

RME Support wrote:

The FF400 (and other devices that use the same driver) works just fine on Win 10, your conclusion is a bit premature here... What exactly does not work as expected? Can you test the unit's basic functionality with another computer?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sorry for my premature conclusion, I did spend a whole evening trying to get it to work but of course that is Win 10's fault not RME.

I did get it working eventually but on low buffer settings the audio playback is very shaky yet the p.c. has more then enough power to run at low latency.

Amazing quality in it's sound though, as if a wool blanket has been lifted of my monitors. Will for sure be sticking with Rme.

Is there anyway to improve performance of my Fireface 400 on win10? I'm only able to run the buffer at 256 and yet I still get glitches in the audio from time to time. My previous audio interface is able to run at 64 samples without any audio glitches.

If it's not possible I'd like to know so I can get rid of the 400 and buy a newer one... Thanks.

Depends on your computer. I checked yesterday with 1803 - same FW performance as before. Not perfect (one core constant load of around 20% CPU), but usable, and works with low latency as well.

That said FW is dead as can be, no support anywhere anymore, so changing to a different interface based on USB or PCIe/TB seems the way to go.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Depends on your computer. I checked yesterday with 1803 - same FW performance as before. Not perfect (one core constant load of around 20% CPU), but usable, and works with low latency as well.

That said FW is dead as can be, no support anywhere anymore, so changing to a different interface based on USB or PCIe/TB seems the way to go.

Thanks for the fast reply, yes I was not thinking straight when I saw a RME interface for 350 euros should have done some more research before pulling the trigger.

I will pick up a Rme Ucx instead and try to unload the FF400 if I can, thank you.