Topic: ADI-2 Pro suitable?

Hi

I'm looking for a device (such as an audio interface) that will support the use case below and it looks like the ADI2-Pro is an excellent candidate.

I'm trying to integrate two JL Audio subwoofers (unbalanced) with a two channel system consisting of a DAC, power amplifier and main speakers. I am using AudioLense to create convolution filters for crossover and other corrections. I want the existing chain to drive the main speakers and the ADI-2 Pro to provide the analog signal for the subs.

In Windows I need to do the following with a SINGLE ASIO device (playback and recording must happen through the same device):

1. play back multichannel audio over USB (need 4 channels for this - 2 unbalanced analog for the subs, stereo digital to DAC)

• use 1/4" TS to RCA female converters to connect sub unbalanced cables

• use toslink SPDIF out to connect DAC

2. record signal played back using a balanced microphone (Beyerdynamic MM 1)

• connect mic preamp output to ADI-2 Pro XLR analog inputs

In OSX, where I'll actually be listening to music, I'll need the same multichannel playback chain as above. Volume control will be in the DAW (Roon in this case).

In the absence of TotalMix it looks like the "USB interface mode + Class Compliant Multi-channel mode" will do everything I want to:

1. Is fully duplex for recording playback at the same time
2. Analog inputs (Channel 0 & 1) are routed over USB to the ASIO device driver for recording
3. USB playback channels 1/2 are routed to TS Analog outputs
4. USB playback channels 7/8 are routed to Optical Digital output

Is my understanding correct, will this work?

Is it possible to route USB playback channels 3/4 to one of the digital outputs?

Thank you
Peter

Re: ADI-2 Pro suitable?

Hi, I'm not the expert and haven't tried that exact configuration but I believe it will work.

However I don't think you need the external DAC any more, as you have two sets of analog outputs on the ADI-2 Pro (Main and Phone 3/4).

As far as I can tell, USB playback channels 3/4 only goes to Phones 3/4 (except in DAC mode where it can be sent to the Main Out + Phones 3/4).

Re: ADI-2 Pro suitable?

Thank you for the reply SpeakFriend.

I'll evaluate what the ADI2-Pro sounds like doing DA for my mains but I'm quite fond of my Chord DAC, would prefer to continue to use that unless I find the ADI2-Pro more pleasing smile