1 (edited by lionfeather 2018-04-24 14:38:59)

Topic: Would I need a wordclock device?

Currently I've been running a Focusrite Platinum Octapre Connect to ADAT 1 no problems,

If I got a second Octapre for ADAT 2 connection, would it just work as is or would I need to get a wordclock device?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Would I need a wordclock device?

Which Octopre exacly ? Link pls. The one which I find with google has no ADAT ports.

Best is to use RME device as clock master, in the RME driver setting window set clock type to "internal".

If the Focusrite devices also have an ADAT IN, then it can recive clock as clock slave from the RME.

If such a ADAT IN port is not available or when you want to use your ADAT OUT ports on the RME for other purposes, then use Word Clock.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by lionfeather 2018-04-24 23:52:35)

Focusrite Octopre Platinum, It does have two ADAT connectors, One for the lower sample rates channels 1 - 8, and Two for the higher sample rates with each handling 4 channels, there is also what looks like a wordclock connector, labled sync

I don't  seem them labled as in and out, I believe they are both outputs

here is one on ebay..   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Octo … rmvSB=true

So you think with the RME as clock master, that two Ocotpres would both sync up fine?

The devices need a digital input to receive a clock signal.
You say they don't have ADAT IN.
So you need to choose Wordclock, best with the RME as clock master for Word Clock.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok thanks, it's not clear to me, Does the RME produce word clock? ( I know it can reproduce it, but not sure if it can produce it.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-04-24 22:03:36)

lionfeather wrote:

Ok thanks, it's not clear to me, Does the RME produce word clock? ( I know it can reproduce it, but not sure if it can produce it.

Next time please be so kind to write directly, what interface you have.
I had to look it up now by reading other postings from you, so its an UFX...

Why don't you consult the manual ? In the UFX manual you will find a chapter about Word Clock, chapter 22.
There it is clearly stated:

[...]Output
The word clock output of the Fireface is constantly active, providing the current sample frequency as word clock signal.
[...]

Thanks, oversight on not stating I have the UFX sorry about that.

And I have been reading the manual, which is in fact very well written, I just hadn't grasped it all yet and I'm in a time crunch on deciding. Regardless thank you very much for being direct and still providing the answer!