Topic: ADI-2 DAC driving sub and main speakers at the same time

Hi,

Just ordered an RME ADI-2 DAC, looking forward to receiving it!

I am currently planning to connect RME ADI-2 DAC to my power amps via XLR balanced connection. While RCA outputs connect to my SUBs L/R inputs, using sub's built in cross over. I was wondering if this would degrade the sound quality of XLR outputs in anyway.

Thanks!

Re: ADI-2 DAC driving sub and main speakers at the same time

No, they use separated electronic driver circuits.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Can the XLR and RCA outputs used simultaneously as 4 channels (like the Pro version)?

This way we can do bass management with room correction in popular audiophile software (JRiver/Roon, Dirac, etc) instead of using the lacking Sub/AVR analog bass management.

There's only 1 DAC inside, so only 2 channels output I think, so you can't do bass management etc like you suggest. I think from a  previous forum thread you can do this with the ADI-2 Pro using the rear output and one of the headphone sockets on the front.

I am using mine the same as you suggest, and it is working very nicely.....

Mac Mini with Roon > USB > RME......then....

RME > balanced XLR > 2 x Hypex Ncore monoblock power amps > 2 x ATC SCM11 speakers

RME > unbalanced RCA > ATC C1 subwoofer

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

occamsrazor wrote:

There's only 1 DAC inside, so only 2 channels output I think

Got it!

Sounds right.

Bummer.

occamsrazor wrote:

you can do this with the ADI-2 Pro using the rear output and one of the headphone sockets on the front.

Yes, just noticed that in the manual (pg. 42 and 48). The rear analog (XLR/TSR) outputs are connected to channels 1/2. Only the front Phone output is connected to channels 3/4.

So - not really suitable for 2.1 / 2.2 setups.

Bummer #2.

occamsrazor wrote:

I am using mine the same as you suggest, and it is working very nicely.....

Mac Mini with Roon > USB > RME......then....

RME > balanced XLR > 2 x Hypex Ncore monoblock power amps > 2 x ATC SCM11 speakers

RME > unbalanced RCA > ATC C1 subwoofer

Using the subwoofer crossover right?
What about a crossover for the fronts to prevent phase and summing issues?

Anyway - That won't allow the use of software Room Correction like Dirac, Acourate, REW, etc for the Sub speaker (which usually needs it the most).

ronkuper wrote:

Yes, just noticed that in the manual (pg. 42 and 48). The rear analog (XLR/TSR) outputs are connected to channels 1/2. Only the front Phone output is connected to channels 3/4.

So - not really suitable for 2.1 / 2.2 setups.

Bummer #2.

Well, you can use the 3/4 output as a Line-Out I believe, rather than for headphones. But it would get a little inelegant cable-wise I guess.

ronkuper wrote:

Using the subwoofer crossover right?

I run full range to the mains, and the sub's internal low-pass filter set to 56hz, which is what the ATC manual says.

ronkuper wrote:

What about a crossover for the fronts to prevent phase and summing issues?

Not using anything....

ronkuper wrote:

Anyway - That won't allow the use of software Room Correction like Dirac, Acourate, REW, etc for the Sub speaker (which usually needs it the most).

In theory you are right. That said I demo'd Dirac Live for a while with a near identical setup (only change was using my Audiolab MDAC, before I got the RME) and for me at least it still made a BIG positive difference. I just felt it was too expensive. That said I'm waiting for the new Dirac Live to come out and may re-evaluate. Or, if I find time, which is unlikely, I might play around with REW to create filters I can use in Roon.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

Can I use a splitter to run two subs or two monitors out of the headphone out? So I can have a 2.2 system?

If you mean splitting to stereo headphones in to two (mono) cables the yes (so headphones TRS to 2 TS (or cinch))

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Yes I mean to split the front headphone outpit to run a pair of speakers. I just don't want something to blow up from wattage or volts or amps being to much for it to handle

vinark wrote:

If you mean splitting to stereo headphones in to two (mono) cables the yes (so headphones TRS to 2 TS (or cinch))

Yes that is 100% safe and will also have 100% audio quality.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

MC wrote:

I did connect RCAs to subwoofer, it all seems to be working super fine. However, one thing worried me. When I touch the live tips of the RCA output when they are not plugged in to my sub, I hear quite a bit of hum on the speakers. So, I assume this means that those 2 outputs are not fully isolated. Some explanation would be highly appreciated. My electronics knowledge is very limited smile