Topic: Setup advice

Hello guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle for a somewhat complex studio/hi-fi setup and need your help.

I've been testing out the ADI-2 Pro FS for a while and it's really good, but I've recently acquired a Violectric 281 (with remote) as well, and I also have a Babyface Pro for the mic pre-amps along with the other inputs and Totalmix, but I don't know if the DAC version or the Pro version of the ADI-2 is more handy in my situation. This is how I see the setup:

Setup 1:

PC/Workstation
--> USB cable to ADI-2 Pro/DAC --> (Balanced) line outputs ADI-2 Pro (as standalone DAC) --> (Balanced) line input Violectric V281 --> (Balanced) line output (V281 as pre-amp) --> Sceptre S8's Monitors

And the balanced or unbalanced outputs from the front of the V281 for headphones. (head-amp), but I don't know if I'll be able to use the parametric EQ, Dynamic Loudness along with other handy features on the ADI-2 that way.

Also I want to connect the ADI-2 Pro/DAC with the Babyface Pro for Totalmix and mic-preamps along with other inputs while still having the ADI-2 connected to the Violectric V281 (the ADI-2 Pro/DAC still being a standalone DAC), so it would look like this:

Setup 2:

PC/Workstation --> USB cable to ADI-2 Pro/DAC --> ADAT output from Babyface Pro to ADAT input ADI-2+ Setup 1

So signals from a mic or a midi device from the Babyface Pro (with DC adapter instead of USB power) will be redirected to the ADI-2 Pro and then to the PC/Workstation.

Another solution would be to connect the Babyface Pro to USB, but I am not quite sure if the ADI-2 and the Babyface Pro can run at the same time, including drivers. Also I don't know if Totalmix will work with the ADAT out to the ADI-2 Pro/DAC. Pretty confusing, and I heard ADAT on the DAC is limited to 2 channels (instead of 8 on the Pro) so I can't use a lot of inputs on the Babyface Pro that way probably, is that true? Also not sure if I would need the balanced inputs from the Pro version.

Alternative Setup 2:

PC/Workstation --> USB cable to Babyface Pro, so it'll run parallel from the ADI-2 + V281.

I'll not be using much devices anyway, but I at least want to have some inputs in my bedroom studio for 1 or 2 microphones, a keyboard workstation and a drum-machine simultaneously.

To sum it up:

- Balanced or dual headphone connections from the Pro not needed because of the V281 amp/pre-amp
- Not sure if I'll need the analog inputs as I already have the Babyface Pro
- Not sure if ADI-2 and Babyface Pro + drivers can run at the same time
- Not sure if Totalmix will work with an ADAT out from the Babyface Pro to the ADI-2

I hope you guys could shine a light on this and which device would be handier/unnecessary. Would appreciate it greatly!

Cheers!

2 (edited by dxmat 2018-05-09 17:29:50)

Re: Setup advice

Setup 1 : ADI 2 Pro EQ & Dynamic Loudness work great with V281 if you want.

Setup 2 : It works great. ADI 2 and BabyFace Pro can run simultaneously but only one driver is used by the software.
               You can use the ADI 2 Pro driver in DAW and use Totalmix to configure the Babyface Pro for correct ADAT IN/OUT
               and clock synchro.

Setup 3 : this is possible. The software uses only one device at a time.

matt

RayDAT, ADI-2 Pro FS R, UCX

3 (edited by ramses 2018-05-09 13:53:07)

EDIT3: some additions, pls re-read.

In setup 2 the ADI-2 * should act as clock master. Its beneficial to make the device to clock master which is connected to PC and whose ASIO driver will be in use by the DAW, then the DAW determins clock and ADI-2 and all clock slaves will have automatically the correct clock based on the DAWs project settings.

So, If you want to record from BBF's Mic Pre's I think you need to clock sync both devices by an additional toslink cable from ADI-2 * to the BBFP (as it can receive clock only via a digital Input like ADAT IN). But then you have no digital cable left anymore to connect the Vio digitally !!! The Vio doesn't seem to have an AES IN as far as I can see. And this would require the ADI-2 Pro to have ADAT/SPDIF and a separate AES channel.

I think you should 1st check closely by double blind tests whether the Vio gives to you that much additional benefit over the ADI-2 Pro.

I personally compared side by side the ADI-2 Pro and DAC against the DAC-40 module of the Accuphase E-600 Class A HiFi amp with B+W 803 D3 speakers connected. Hard to recognize any differences. I tend to say, that the Pro and DAC deliver a little bit more detailed room information. So the ADI-2 * are already high end devices and I see no value in spending so much money into 2 DACs and using the excellent ADI-2 Pro only for dynamic loudness. This maked no sense to me.

I would simplify your setup and make an UFX II to the center of your homerecording studio. By this you have a lot of more options. Durec, autoset, enhanced analog section of the UFX II, more channels and fully standalone by its display. Also signal flow and routing is a lot easier if the UFX II is the center of your recording studio.

Then I would connect the ADI-2 Pro FS via AES as clock slave. And then phones and speakers to the ADI-2 Pro. Steadyclock of ADI-2 Pro FS will use the internal  FS clock for the final D/A conversion, so you do not loose any advantage of FS clock even if the device is clock slave. Beside of this the UFX II offers already a high quality clock signal.

With the ADI-2 Pro's key remapping feature you can very nicely switch between phones and speakers. When you switch the outputs you will have a 1 second ramp-up of volume which gives you time to turn volume down shall it be too loud. Mute all and enabling/disabling Loudness/PEQ are additionally useful functions. This setup is described here in detail: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … tup-EN-DE/

With this combination you safe money and get even a more sophisticated recording setup.

At any time you can enhance this solution by adding an ARC USB, which you can connect either to PC or directly to the UFX II, where the latter is a big benefit for standalone operation.

Next you can do it like me and use a 15m toslink cable (maybe up to 20m) to make a connection to your HiFi. If you need High End there as well then I would place an additional ADI-2 DAC there. As dynamic loudness function is also very nice there. Then you can make an ADI-2 DAC in front of your HiFi to the center of High End DA conversion. It simply workd fabulous. Also the possibility to map functions to the 4 programmable keys on the remote control.

I personally use an Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 in front of the ADI-2 DAC. It has BTW also a nicely working remote control. The DAC is connected via balanced cable (XLR) to the HiFi amp. To the Oehlbach Optosel I can connect digitally (SPDIF) UFX+ (Studio), TV and Oppo Blu
-ray Player. Still one port free for i.e. a Streamer if you like. The Oehlbach works reliably up to 96 kHz, more is really not required.
By this setup you have additionally the benefit that you do not require the big Oppo with its own high end D/A converters, as this does the ADI-2 DAC now for up to 4 devices !!!

When I want to listen to Music, then my Player is MusicBee on Windows PC. The lossless files I play either through UFX+ -> ADI-2 Pro -> Geithain RL906D or alternatively through my HiFi. UFX+ -> Optosel -> ADI-2 DAC -> HiFi.

This combination of devices (UFX *, ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC) I described here: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … tup-EN-DE/

If you compare functionality, price and total value, then I think you are better off with
Option A
UFX II.              €1999
ADI-2 Pro FS.  €1563
ARC USB.           €129
Approx.             € 3691

and optionally on top
ADI-2 DAC.        €999
Option B (incl Option A)
Total:                  €4690

compared to your planned setup Option C:
BBFP                  €735
ADI-2 Pro FS   €1563
Vio V281         €1949 ( without digital option, so this will at the end cost even more)
At minimum €4200 PLUS the digital option !!

If you ask me, you get a much better setup with Option A and even save money.
Even Option B is not much more expensive as you need to also get the digital add-on for the Vio. And even if not. Its in my opinion a much better setup.

BTW I am using an Audeze LCD-3 with the ADI-2 Pro and I am really missing nothing. I think you will like it as well.

Please check whether the Vio is really worth the money. I have a certain feeling that you get same quality and more value by selling BBFP and going for Option A or B.

Also consider, that speakers and monitors also need to be on par with the D/A converters in front. Really consider a comparison of both DACs in your environment using your equipment. Maybe get them all and test the final functionality for you side by side and also honor the additional functionality/workflow of final solution B which I really can recommend.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

dxmat wrote:

Setup 2 : It works great. ADI 2 and BabyFace Pro can run simultaneously but only one driver is used by the software.
               You can use the ADI 2 Pro driver in DAW and use Totalmix to configure the Babyface Pro for correct ADAT OUT
               and clock synchro.

matt

Hi matt,

Thank you for your reply! In case of setup 2, would I need 2 ADAT cables for Babyface Pro to properly receive the FS clock from the ADI-2 unit like Ramses said or would 1 cable be fine along with some configuration in Totalmix as I will only send signals towards to source and not the Babyface Pro itself? That might avoid some costs for me as the ADI-2 DAC can probably do that with it's ADAT input, although channels will be limited maybe?

5 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2018-05-09 16:14:57)

ramses wrote:

EDIT3: some additions, pls re-read.

In setup 2 the ADI-2 * should act as clock master. Its beneficial to make the device to clock master which is connected to PC and whose ASIO driver will be in use by the DAW, then the DAW determins clock and ADI-2 and all clock slaves will have automatically the correct clock based on the DAWs project settings.

So, If you want to record from BBF's Mic Pre's I think you need to clock sync both devices by an additional toslink cable from ADI-2 * to the BBFP (as it can receive clock only via a digital Input like ADAT IN). But then you have no digital cable left anymore to connect the Vio digitally !!! The Vio doesn't seem to have an AES IN as far as I can see. And this would require the ADI-2 Pro to have ADAT/SPDIF and a separate AES channel.

I think you should 1st check closely by double blind tests whether the Vio gives to you that much additional benefit over the ADI-2 Pro.

I personally compared side by side the ADI-2 Pro and DAC against the DAC-40 module of the Accuphase E-600 Class A HiFi amp with B+W 803 D3 speakers connected. Hard to recognize any differences. I tend to say, that the Pro and DAC deliver a little bit more detailed room information. So the ADI-2 * are already high end devices and I see no value in spending so much money into 2 DACs and using the excellent ADI-2 Pro only for dynamic loudness. This maked no sense to me.

I would simplify your setup and make an UFX II to the center of your homerecording studio. By this you have a lot of more options. Durec, autoset, enhanced analog section of the UFX II, more channels and fully standalone by its display. Also signal flow and routing is a lot easier if the UFX II is the center of your recording studio.

Then I would connect the ADI-2 Pro FS via AES as clock slave. And then phones and speakers to the ADI-2 Pro. Steadyclock of ADI-2 Pro FS will use the internal  FS clock for the final D/A conversion, so you do not loose any advantage of FS clock even if the device is clock slave. Beside of this the UFX II offers already a high quality clock signal.

With the ADI-2 Pro's key remapping feature you can very nicely switch between phones and speakers. When you switch the outputs you will have a 1 second ramp-up of volume which gives you time to turn volume down shall it be too loud. Mute all and enabling/disabling Loudness/PEQ are additionally useful functions. This setup is described here in detail: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … tup-EN-DE/

With this combination you safe money and get even a more sophisticated recording setup.

At any time you can enhance this solution by adding an ARC USB, which you can connect either to PC or directly to the UFX II, where the latter is a big benefit for standalone operation.

Next you can do it like me and use a 15m toslink cable (maybe up to 20m) to make a connection to your HiFi. If you need High End there as well then I would place an additional ADI-2 DAC there. As dynamic loudness function is also very nice there. Then you can make an ADI-2 DAC in front of your HiFi to the center of High End DA conversion. It simply workd fabulous. Also the possibility to map functions to the 4 programmable keys on the remote control.

I personally use an Oehlbach Optosel 4:1 in front of the ADI-2 DAC. It has BTW also a nicely working remote control. The DAC is connected via balanced cable (XLR) to the HiFi amp. To the Oehlbach Optosel I can connect digitally (SPDIF) UFX+ (Studio), TV and Oppo Blu
-ray Player. Still one port free for i.e. a Streamer if you like. The Oehlbach works reliably up to 96 kHz, more is really not required.
By this setup you have additionally the benefit that you do not require the big Oppo with its own high end D/A converters, as this does the ADI-2 DAC now for up to 4 devices !!!

When I want to listen to Music, then my Player is MusicBee on Windows PC. The lossless files I play either through UFX+ -> ADI-2 Pro -> Geithain RL906D or alternatively through my HiFi. UFX+ -> Optosel -> ADI-2 DAC -> HiFi.

This combination of devices (UFX *, ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC) I described here:

If you compare functionality, price and total value, then I think you are better off with
Option A
UFX II.              €1999
ADI-2 Pro FS.  €1563
ARC USB.           €129
Approx.             € 3691

and optionally on top
ADI-2 DAC.        €999
Option B (incl Option A)
Total:                  €4690

compared to your planned setup Option C:
BBFP                  €735
ADI-2 Pro FS   €1563
Vio V281         €1949 ( without digital option, so this will at the end cost even more)
At minimum €4200 PLUS the digital option !!

If you ask me, you get a much better setup with Option A and even save money.
Even Option B is not much more expensive as you need to also get the digital add-on for the Vio. And even if not. Its in my opinion a much better setup.

BTW I am using an Audeze LCD-3 with the ADI-2 Pro and I am really missing nothing. I think you will like it as well.

Please check whether the Vio is really worth the money. I have a certain feeling that you get same quality and more value by selling BBFP and going for Option A or B.

Also consider, that speakers and monitors also need to be on par with the D/A converters in front. Really consider a comparison of both DACs in your environment using your equipment. Maybe get them all and test the final functionality for you side by side and also honor the additional functionality/workflow of final solution B which I really can recommend.

Hi Ramses,

Thank you for you elaborate explanation, to clarify I already own the Babyface Pro, ADI-2 Pro FS and recently I bought a V281 with 128-step attenuator, USB digital input and XMOS DAC for very cheap secondhand which will arrive Friday.

I'm not sure how it will sound, but for the price I got it (1200 euro!!!) and the mint state it was in I couldn't resist grabbing it, as the ADI-2 Pro sounds a little "soft" so to speak sometimes on the Focal Clears I have, but balanced mode helped a bit, very clean and tight sound.

I can imagine the V281 sounds a bit better with some more insight, but I don't think it will be mind-blowing. So I might end up selling it again. For now I just had the idea of incorporating it into my studio, as it very well may be a end-game mixing as well as leisure listening setup for me.

Saw a second hand mint UFX II for 1200 euro in my country but i'm not quite sure if I want a rack in my room at the moment as space is somewhat limited, but the driver convenience is extremely handy indeed.

Are you sure the Babyface Pro needs ADAT cables in and out for the FS clock to function? I might just only need the DAC version of the ADI-2 if a single cable is required.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:
dxmat wrote:

You can use the ADI 2 Pro driver in DAW and use Totalmix to configure the Babyface Pro for correct ADAT OUT
               and clock synchro.

matt

Hi matt,

Thank you for your reply! In case of setup 2, would I need 2 ADAT cables for Babyface Pro to properly receive the FS clock from the ADI-2 unit like Ramses said or would 1 cable be fine along with some configuration in Totalmix as I will only send signals towards to source and not the Babyface Pro itself? That might avoid some costs for me as the ADI-2 DAC can probably do that with it's ADAT input, although channels will be limited maybe?

ADI-2 DAC will not work in this setup as it has no digital outputs, no matter whether you choose ADI-2 DAC or BBFP as main audio device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2018-05-09 17:11:46)

ramses wrote:
Nicked_Wicked wrote:
dxmat wrote:

and clock synchro.

matt

Hi matt,

ADI-2 DAC will not work in this setup as it has no digital outputs, no matter whether you choose ADI-2 DAC or BBFP as main audio device.

A little correction, I saw you said in your other reply that I had no digital inputs for the Vio left, but I won't use any (except for the IN and OUT on the Babyface Pro then), as the digital connection on the V281 will most likely be far worse and very susceptible to jitter, so I will only connect it with the analog outputs of the ADI-2. But yeah, if I need 2 ADAT connections, the DAC version won't cut it as it only has ADAT and coax inputs.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

Hi Ramses,
Thank you for you elaborate explanation,

Hi Nick, you're welcome and thanks for posting / discussing this here instead of using private e-mail. Its surely also interesting and inspiring for other people and four eye principle is always better.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

to clarify I already own the Babyface Pro, ADI-2 Pro FS and recently I bought a V281 with 128-step attenuator, USB digital input and XMOS DAC for very cheap secondhand which will arrive Friday.

You could also use the ADI-2 Pro FS in front of the BBF Pro. Simply use BBF Pro as clock master, then one TOSLINK cable to the ADI-2 Pro FS. There you connect then phones and speakers. Or use the Pro FS's ADAT/optical SPDIF Output to send the digital signal further to the Vio. If you connect your speakers to the ADI-2 Pro and the phones to the Vio, then you can still use the ADIs remap key feature to switch between Phones and Speakers.

The only thing which is unclear to me whether this Vio has digital inputs as the Thomann page said that these were optional ...
You need to look what you get.

BTW .. RME has a very precise linear AD/DA conversion. Its not coloring the sound. If there is something missing in terms of sound in your phones, then you should perhaps take the PEQ to shape the sound into a direction which you like. Ie Sennheisers in comparison to Audeze Planar phones have definitively not enough Bass. In such situations you can compensate with the PEQ or the knob for  Bass correction.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

I'm not sure how it will sound, but for the price I got it (1200 euro!!!) and the mint state it was in I couldn't resist grabbing it, as the ADI-2 Pro sounds a little "soft" so to speak sometimes on the Focal Clears I have, but balanced mode helped a bit, very clean and tight sound.

Then this is more a property of the devices which you connect to the ADI-2. Headphones are also so different like Speakers. But in my opineon it should not be the sound/mojo of the DAC to compensate this by having a fixed characteristic of its own. Its better to be by default transparent and then to use Bass Treble or PEQ in situations where required.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

I can imagine the V281 sounds a bit better with some more insight, but I don't think it will be mind-blowing. So I might end up selling it again. For now I just had the idea of incorporating it into my studio, as it very well may be a end-game mixing as well as leisure listening setup for me.

I can not tell. All I can say is that the ADI-2 Pro is a fantastic unit with reference sound quality. Even tad a bit better than an Accuphase DAC. With the ADI-2 * you can do IMHO nothin wrong. Its more the opposite. It has besides a very good sound features like no other device on the market.

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

Saw a second hand mint UFX II for 1200 euro in my country but i'm not quite sure if I want a rack in my room at the moment as space is somewhat limited, but the driver convenience is extremely handy indeed.

You do not need a rack. You can glue feets under it. From feature density and quality its also the cutest device on the market only topped by the UFX+. But you dont need MADI or thunderbolt. USB2 will make life simply easier, then you can use USB3 ports for other stuff...

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

Are you sure the Babyface Pro needs ADAT cables in and out for the FS clock to function? I might just only need the DAC version of the ADI-2 if a single cable is required.

For a device to receive a clock signal you require a digital input, so that it can become slave.

The DAC is missing digital outputs or do you intend to perform the DA conversion already at the ADI-2 *? I would have thought it shall be digital up to the Vio which makes IMHO more sense as you wanted the sound of the Vio.

Yes, setup 2 require ADAT IN/OUT for sync Babyface clock (slave) with ADI 2 Pro FS (master).

10 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2018-05-09 22:35:16)

ramses wrote:

For a device to receive a clock signal you require a digital input, so that it can become slave.

The DAC is missing digital outputs or do you intend to perform the DA conversion already at the ADI-2 *? I would have thought it shall be digital up to the Vio which makes IMHO more sense as you wanted the sound of the Vio.

Hmm the DAC of the ADI-2 is by far better, most times with standalone amps with extra options they are not the best, in the case of the V281 it can fight up to 600$ dacs but it's not much compared to the clean, thorough detail retrieval of the AKM 4490 implementation in the ADI-2, if anything the DAC in the ADI-2 will give me the true sound of the V281. smile

The V281 does have a USB input but it's not as clean as the ADI-2 by a long shot, so I prefer to connect the ADI-2 with the V281 the analog way.

11 (edited by dxmat 2018-05-10 05:08:45)

Yes, I confirm.  ADI 2 Pro DA is far better than V281 (optional) DA.

12 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2018-05-11 15:44:59)

I have received the V281 today and connected it with XLR's, but I ran into a problem. AD/DA source on auto, Auto ref level on (+24dBu on 0.0 volume), depending on the headphone I can increase/decrease pre-gain on the V281 itself. For the HD 650 I'm using 0db and for the Focal Clear -12

But the ADI-2 Pro is dangerously close to distorting, also I barely need to touch the potentiometer on the V281 because it ramps up in volume so quick, if I give a touch-up with EQ it distorts even, is there a way to fix this, am I doing something wrong?

13 (edited by ramses 2018-05-11 17:01:29)

Read the Vio Manual. Max input level may not exceed +21 dBu. So if the ADI-2 Pro can deliver +24 dBu then you overload the Vios input.

I would ensure that pre-gain on the Vio is set to lowest level -6. Lower the output volume on the ADI-2 Pro to i.e. -50. Set volume on the Vio to nearly max (~90%). Slowly increase the Output volume on the ADI-2 Pro up to reaching your max listening volume with your phones.

This way you have the analog poti set to nearly max with a little threshold shall you listen to more silent content.

And at the ADI-2 Pro the Auto Ref Level setting ensures optimum Output Level.

If you use different Phones with much different impedances you see now how cumbersome it can become having to adjust the onput gain by jumper bridges or you simply live with one setting which fits both phones and the rest you control on the Vios volume knob...

Alternatively you could IMHO also store 2 different output levels on the presets of the ADI-2 Pro to compensate there volume differences between different phones which have different impedances.

I think the advantage is that you really can do it on the ADI-2 Pro side easier and better.

Therefore I would only use the ADI-2 Pro where you can already drive 2 different phones with ideal level settings. With auto reflevel set to on you can store individual level and dynamic loudneds settings for both phones.

I think sometimes its better to simplify a setup by removing not necessarily required components.

Use the PEQ additionally for each phone if needed to compensate ie missing bass etc. RME delivers the sound as is without adding any "mojo".

If you are not convinced then order an Audeze LCD-3 in alcantara leather and the more comfortably headphone straps of the LCD-4.
The softer alcantara leather is important and makes a significant difference for a more pleasant sound. With this leather option the tone is perfect" and ears seem to sit in optimum position.

After that you may get my point better that the ADI-2 Pro alone is perfect, all that you need are now phones that do not require special mojo on the DAC side. Or you need to compensate accordingly with either Bass, Treble or by using the PEQ.

14 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2018-05-11 17:10:05)

ramses wrote:

Read the Vio Manual. Max input level may not exceed +21 dBu. So if the ADI-2 Pro can deliver +24 dBu then you overload the Vios input.

I would ensure that pre-gain on the Vio is set to lowest level -6. Lower the output volume on the ADI-2 Pro to i.e. -50. Set volume on the Vio to nearly max (~90%). Slowly increase the Output volume on the ADI-2 Pro up to reaching your max listening volume with your phones.

This way you have the analog poti set to nearly max with a little threshold shall you listen to more silent content.

And at the ADI-2 Pro the Auto Ref Level setting ensures optimum Output Level.

If you use different Phones with much different impedances you see now how cumbersome it can become having to adjust the onput gain by jumper bridges or you simply live with one setting which fits both phones and the rest you control on the Vios volume knob...

Alternatively you could IMHO also store 2 different output levels on the presets of the ADI-2 Pro to compensate there volume differences between different phones which have different impedances.

I think the advantage is that you really can do it on the ADI-2 Pro side easier and better.

Therefore I would only use the ADI-2 Pro where you can already drive 2 different phones with ideal level settings. With auto reflevel set to on you can store individual level and dynamic loudneds settings for both phones.

I think sometimes its better to simplify a setup by removing not necessarily required components.

Use the PEQ additionally for each phone if needed to compensate ie missing bass etc. RME delivers the sound as is without adding any "mojo".

If you are not convinced then order an Audeze LCD-3 in alcantara leather and the more comfortably headphone straps of the LCD-4.
The softer alcantara leather is important and makes a significant difference for a more pleasant sound. With this leather option the tone is perfect" and ears seem to sit in optimum position.

After that you may get my point better that the ADI-2 Pro alone is perfect, all that you need are now phones that do not require special mojo on the DAC side. Or you need to compensate accordingly with either Bass, Treble or by using the PEQ.

I see, that makes sense, but shouldn't the digital volume always be set to zero for maximum detail? If I would lower the volume on the ADI-2 then it might impact the sound quite a bit or am I dead wrong about that? As for keeping impedances, I don't really mind fiddling with the jumpers, but that's just me.

As for the LCD's I've tried multiple ones, but they unfortunately hurt my head after a while even with the new suspension system. The V281 doesn't add anything either, it's just more of the same, digging deeper into the recording picking out every flaw while maintaining a non-fatiguing sound for those long mixing sessions.

15 (edited by ramses 2018-05-11 17:26:23)

I think the ADI-2 * handbook contains information about this that there is no loss that harms the signal. The auto ref level setting also adds to this. No matter what output level you require it will always choose the optimum reference level.

BTW esp. the Alcantara leather option sits in total more comfortably on your head/ears and together with the LCD-4 strip I have absolutely no issues in terms of comfort.

I can wear the LCD-3 Alcantara for 2-3 hours without any issues. Longer hearing sessions I didn't have up to now.

The LCD-3 gives a pleasent sound. If you need it for mixing and mastering then you should go for the LCD-X it presents more details and dynamic.

So to say, you might be better off by using ADI-2 Pro and then LCD-X for studio work and using LCD-3 to enjoy music.

Planar / magnetostatic phones is IMHO the way to go in terms of technology (electrostatic is to expensive and require special preamps). But you need to test, not all deliver so nicely like i.e. LCD-3 and -X.

ramses wrote:

I think the ADI-2 * handbook contains information about this that there is no loss that harms the signal. The auto ref level setting also adds to this. No matter what output level you require it will always choose the optimum reference level.

BTW esp. the Alcantara leather option sits in total more comfortably on your head/ears and together with the LCD-4 strip I have absolutely no issues in terms of comfort.

I can wear the LCD-3 Alcantara for 2-3 hours without any issues. Longer hearing sessions I didn't have up to now.

The LCD-3 gives a pleasent sound. If you need it for mixing and mastering then you should go for the LCD-X it presents more details and dynamic.

That makes sense as the volume is fully digital on the ADI-2 and I can push the Vio to 12 to 3 o'clock where it performs better than with low volumes under 12 o'clock, wow!

This might actually be better as the ADI-2 shouldn't have any signal degradation that way in theory (prevents noise and distortion as well)  and the V281 minimizes signal degradation with this. So in the end I should probably just set the ADI-2 to a preferred approximate max volume and then turn the V281 pot most of the way to the right.

Thanks a lot ramses, I have a lot of listening to do tonight! smile

You're welcome and have fun ;-)

19 (edited by dxmat 2018-05-12 06:40:18)

Set +4dBu or +13dBu ADI 2 Pro out.
Mine with v281 work fine.
Auto ref level OFF.

dxmat wrote:

Set +4dBu or +13dBu ADI 2 Pro out.
Mine with v281 work fine.
Auto ref level OFF.

Then you need to take care of your own that you do not leave optimum settings whn changing the output level.

As the ref level is being displayed I would keep auto reflevel on.

If I remember right then the handbook also tells that autoreflevel should be turned on if you use the dynamic loudness function. And I think this he also wanted to use.

On this case he needs to dial the volume on the ADI-2 Pro anyway and then you dial the volume in a range of 20 - 30 dB, then auto ref level is demanded anyway.

21 (edited by dxmat 2018-05-13 16:03:05)

Yes.
Auto Ref level is useful only to maximaze S/R ratio when
the ADÌ-2 Pro volume knob is tourned down.

In my setup ADI volume knob level is always on 0.0 dB.
V281 volume knob is master volume control room.

dxmat wrote:

Yes.
Auto Ref level is useful only to maximaze S/R ratio when
the ADÌ-2 Pro volume knob is tourned down.

In my setup ADI volume knob level is always on 0.0 dB.
V281 volume knob is master volume control room.

How do you manage to get 0.0dB on the ADI-2 without distortion or making the knob on the V281 almost useless? (always under 9 o’clock)

He will simply set auto ref level to OFF and choose maybe Ref Level as +4 or +13 or +19 dBu .. but not +24 dBu.

ramses wrote:

He will simply set auto ref level to OFF and choose maybe Ref Level as +4 or +13 or +19 dBu .. but not +24 dBu.

Yes.