Topic: Front end sample rate converter for Fireface UFX

I use the Fireface UFX (not the UFX II) for music listening as a DAC with AES or SPDIF (Toslink) input. The digital signal is routed to a software convolution engine (Acourate) as ASIO. When the source sample rate is constant (e.g. 44.1, 96 etc), it works well. However, if the source rate changes and I do not change the input source rate in Fireface USB settings panel, my setup fails.

The RME ADI-192DD appears to be a solution that would allow any source rate to be sent to the UFX by means of sample rate conversion to a constant input, such as 192. However, it is a big rig for a single source conversion job.

Is there a different RME product that is less expensive but does what I am looking for?  Or, a non-RME product?

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

Re: Front end sample rate converter for Fireface UFX

Hi

I use UFX with acourateconvolver on USB.
Player is JRiver MC24.
I can play stereo as well as 5.1 surround.
By the way, JRiver does samplerateconversion if you wish (up or down or DSD etc.). Cheapest solution I am aware of (whole player software under USD 50.-)

I can configure rate switching depending on the sourcefile sampling rate, automatically. JRiver , acourateconvolver and UFX switches correctly for and back. A small switching noise is hearable.

I heard that with AES or TOSLINK, samplerate switching does not work. However I see no need for that as multichannel-streaming anyway does not work with SPDIF.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately, I do not like the J River interface for a classical music (I use Daphile, a Squeezebox player and server). But I am happy to know that JRMC can pass rate changes to Acourate Convolver.
Murray

UFX+; MADIfaceUSB; Startech active USB3 cable; Sonnet Allegro Pro adapter; Win11x64

4 (edited by pschelbert 2018-05-19 22:39:30)

Hi

I use ASIO driver, not anything Windows (WDM WASAPI etc.).
Daphile Squeezebox usese ASIO as well?

I you have tagged your files, you just can import them for a trial in JRiver.
User interface is a taste thing. In Jriver however you can configure a lot of views and sorting of your music.

I listen to a broad variety form classical to Rock.
I like the flexibility of organization in Jriver. Its all based on the tages (not depending on Jriver but a feature of ALAC, flac, mp3).
Jriver just sorts and displays the music as you decide to sort. Various views are possible.

I do not know Daphile/Squeezebox what the advantage is of it.

Peter