Topic: UFX II and UFX jointly on same computer (via USB and same DAW) ?

Hi

what happens if I operate one UFX II and one UFX at the same computer (DAW) at the same time.

1) UFX II and UFX connected each via USB to the same computer.
Totalmix: Do I see for each unit a Totalmix or I see two Totalmix , one for UFX II and one for UFX?
ASIO Ports (in DAW, I use Soundforge Pro11).
Each unit his ASIO ports or just more ASIO ports (may be then difficult to know which ports belong to what unit)

1a) I have seen the comment that UFX II and UFX do use different drivers (USB-drivers). I hope there is no conflict using  both drivers at the same time!

2) Setup: UFX II as main, connected via USB to computer. UFX via ADAT connected to UFX II. No USB connection from computer to UFX then.
Totalmix: surei I see UFX II in Totalmix.
How do I configure the routing of UFX then?
Temporarily connecting UFX via USB for config and then disconnecting during operation (if connected via ADAT to UFX II) may be.

3) Setup: UFX II connected via ADAT to UFX:
Samplerate switching: is the samplerate of the slave (UFX) then following the samplerate of the Master (UFX II)?

Peter

2 (edited by ramses 2018-06-01 08:58:28)

Re: UFX II and UFX jointly on same computer (via USB and same DAW) ?

EDIT1, EDIT2

Hi Peter,

use the UFX II as main audio interface on your PC, as it has an overhauled/better analog section, etc ...

Connect UFX II and UFX via USB. Side note: the UFX could also be connected via Firewire, but you need USB for firmware upgrades, this saves you 1 additional cable.

In the RME driver settings dialog
- of the MADIface driver (UFX II) you set clock type to "internal", so it becomes master clock
- of the USB driver (UFX) you set clock source to "ADAT1", so UFX becomes clock slave of the UFX II

Connect UFX II ADAT1 OUT to UFX ADAT1 IN, to be able to receive the clock.
Connect UFX ADAT1 OUT to UFX II ADAT1 IN, to be able to receive a few channels of the UFX.

In TotalMix FX you can open a 2nd instance of TotalMix FX.
For the 1st instance select i.e. the UFX II, for the 2nd Instance the UFX.
EDIT1: there is no need to open 2 TM FX instances, you can also use only one instance and select between UFX II and UFX.

EDIT2: If you save the workspace in TM FX, then the window positions of the 2 different TM FX instances will be saved as well.

In TM FX (UFS): configure the Routing, that i.e. 4 Mics and 4 analog INs will be routed to ADAT1 OUT.
You can store the final routing in one of the 6 device profiles of UFX and UFX II.

The any to any routing capabilities are isolated in each of the TM FX instances.

You can keep both units connected via USB to be able to control each of the devices.

In the DAW make sure that you always load the MADIface ASIO driver for the UFX II,
because this is now your main interface and master clock.

If you change the clock in your DAW project, the main interface (UFX II) will automatically be set
to the other sample frequency, and as this is your clock master, all the slaves will be set as well automatically.

Shall you have issues on your system with USB for whatever reason, you can also flip this setup.
Connect i.e. UFX via Firewire400, make the UFX master and the UFX II to a slave. All is possible.

Shall you need the pitch functionality of the ASIO driver then you need to make the UFX to clock master,
as the MADIface driver doesnt support pitch. Only with the UFX+ this is supported again in the thunderbolt driver.
At least this is the case for the MADIface driver and USB3, maybe the USB2 transfer mode doesn't have this little
limitation, but I am not 100% sure, as I do not own an UFX II.

EDIT3: once the routing has been configured in the UFX, then you can store the settings in one of the 6 device profiles and disconnect the UFX from your PC. Then you simply turn the UFX on or off as the 1st thing before opening the DAW and operate it simply in standalone mode.

EDIT4: for clocking you can also use Word Clock, then you do not require TOSLINK connection between UFX II towards UFX.
But its handy to have this connection, because then you can route audio to the UFX to i.e. make use of the 2 phones outputs, its perhaps nice to have 2 additional wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the detailed info, great will work as intended.

Peter

4 (edited by ramses 2018-06-01 08:56:48)

You're welcome, see EDIT1 - EDIT4 in my post.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

OK, I think EDIT4 is now the last addition from my side, have fun ! wink

To put a similar example, I used the old UFX as preamp on my RayDAT, see this article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ME-RayDAT/

Hi Thanks.

This explanation could be added to the user manual as "use cases" or "examples of setup"

May be of interest to a lot of UFX UFX II owners.

Peter

8 (edited by pschelbert 2018-06-07 21:47:58)

ramses wrote:

EDIT1, EDIT2

Hi Peter,

use the UFX II as main audio interface on your PC, as it has an overhauled/better analog section, etc ...

Connect UFX II and UFX via USB. Side note: the UFX could also be connected via Firewire, but you need USB for firmware upgrades, this saves you 1 additional cable.

In the RME driver settings dialog
- of the MADIface driver (UFX II) you set clock type to "internal", so it becomes master clock
- of the USB driver (UFX) you set clock source to "ADAT1", so UFX becomes clock slave of the UFX II

Connect UFX II ADAT1 OUT to UFX ADAT1 IN, to be able to receive the clock.
Connect UFX ADAT1 OUT to UFX II ADAT1 IN, to be able to receive a few channels of the UFX.

In TotalMix FX you can open a 2nd instance of TotalMix FX.
For the 1st instance select i.e. the UFX II, for the 2nd Instance the UFX.
EDIT1: there is no need to open 2 TM FX instances, you can also use only one instance and select between UFX II and UFX.

EDIT2: If you save the workspace in TM FX, then the window positions of the 2 different TM FX instances will be saved as well.

In TM FX (UFS): configure the Routing, that i.e. 4 Mics and 4 analog INs will be routed to ADAT1 OUT.
You can store the final routing in one of the 6 device profiles of UFX and UFX II.

The any to any routing capabilities are isolated in each of the TM FX instances.

You can keep both units connected via USB to be able to control each of the devices.

In the DAW make sure that you always load the MADIface ASIO driver for the UFX II,
because this is now your main interface and master clock.

If you change the clock in your DAW project, the main interface (UFX II) will automatically be set
to the other sample frequency, and as this is your clock master, all the slaves will be set as well automatically.

Shall you have issues on your system with USB for whatever reason, you can also flip this setup.
Connect i.e. UFX via Firewire400, make the UFX master and the UFX II to a slave. All is possible.

Shall you need the pitch functionality of the ASIO driver then you need to make the UFX to clock master,
as the MADIface driver doesnt support pitch. Only with the UFX+ this is supported again in the thunderbolt driver.
At least this is the case for the MADIface driver and USB3, maybe the USB2 transfer mode doesn't have this little
limitation, but I am not 100% sure, as I do not own an UFX II.

EDIT3: once the routing has been configured in the UFX, then you can store the settings in one of the 6 device profiles and disconnect the UFX from your PC. Then you simply turn the UFX on or off as the 1st thing before opening the DAW and operate it simply in standalone mode.

EDIT4: for clocking you can also use Word Clock, then you do not require TOSLINK connection between UFX II towards UFX.
But its handy to have this connection, because then you can route audio to the UFX to i.e. make use of the 2 phones outputs, its perhaps nice to have 2 additional wink

I got an UFX II installed it and it works as you described above.
The UFX is at the moment the master as I quickly tried the combination. I will change that later on (make UFX II the master).

The Total mix V1.5 in two instances works. With the UFX and the driver 1.14 with Totalmix V1.5 I could not get it to work before. Installing the UFX driver also deinstalled Totalmix V1.5.

So if you want Totalmix V1.5 and have an UFX, you just install the UFX II Madidriver as a workaround smile until the driver is fixed (work with older driver 1.099.0)

Samplerate changes connected via ADAT works nicely, no need to sync with worldclock.

Peter