Topic: USB Interface Recording Levels on Audacity (Babyface Pro)

Just received a BFP. After installing the drivers and setting everything up via USB (using the cable supplied), I noticed that all the inputs are registering fine through the monitors; however, when I record to a program like Audacity, the levels are dramatically lower than the TotalMix and the unit itself shows (i.e., they barely show up while recording even with the recording level maxed.)

I have tried various ports (3.0 and 2.0), reinstalling the drivers on both computers, and trying a different USB cable. The outcome is still the same. Is it possible the USB interface is faulty? (I bought the unit refurbished.)

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have put in a return but figured there might be something else that I am missing despite the troubleshooting already taken.

Thank you,
Seth

Re: USB Interface Recording Levels on Audacity (Babyface Pro)

Recording levels should be the same as those shown at the inputs in Totalmix. If not, there is a configuratiion issue in your software... Have you tried other software, e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yeah, the levels aren't even close. I have used another USB I/O, and those do match up. I haven't tried anything other than Audacity. I will try another. (I usually don't use anything else.)

If the same end result occurs with another program, is it possible there is something amiss with the USB interface?

Thank you, Daniel!

Interesting: it works fine with Reaper. Why would this be the case with Reaper and not Audacity? Any insights to this? (I didn't make any adjustments to the TotalMix.)

Audacity has no ASIO support. Which audio driver did you use in Audacity, which in Reaper ? In Reaper I assume you used the RME ASIO driver ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I didn't realize that about Audacity. The very first time I installed the drivers and used Audacity it responded without any issue. All I did was disable the Babyface Pro as the CPU's playback device (as recommended in the manual). I didn't see why this would affect the recording levels in Audacity. Are the two linked?

All I did was install Reaper and open up a track and arm it for recording. I reinstalled the latest RME drivers, but that is all. I didn't make any changes to the default Reaper preferences.

Is there a way to check and make sure the USB connection is completely healthy and working exactly as it should?

Thank you for the feedback!

Stay with a true ASIO driver !!! My assumption is, that the levels in Audcity are simply different,
because the windows sound system is in between. Its best practise to use an ASIO driver for
this and other reasons.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Understood, but is there also a way to make sure the integrity of the USB port is working an not somehow compromised in any way?

9 (edited by ramses 2018-06-02 18:49:13)

USB is simply for the data transport between PC and Recording interface and basicall has nothing to do with level differencies.

Before I got the ASIO drivers and Reaper, I was able to use the Babyface Pro as a microphone via my VoIP (e.g., Google phone number). Even with the proper mic setting (Analog 1/2), it doesn't transmit through. Is there a way to get this to work once again?

11 (edited by ramses 2018-06-04 06:16:52)

What application is this ? Does it support ASIO driver ? If yes, then select the ASIO driver inside of the application.

If not then you need to enable WDM devices in the RME driver settings dialog, otherwise Windows and non-ASIO aware applications are unable to access your BBFP.

Once you enabled the required WDM devices, you should see them in the Windows Sound settings.

I see the options appear under the non-ASIO program; however, once I select them (e.g., BFP Analog inputs 1+2), it doesn't appear to transmit across the program, even though TotalMix registers levels and can be heard directly via the BFP phones output.

Is there any reason why this would have worked when I first plugged in the RME only to eventually stop? Seems odd to me that it would function at one point and not another.

I did a complete reset on TotalMix; now the hardware input fader on the microphone won't move despite a level registering. Tried reinstalling the drivers but to no avail. Is there something I need to change after a total reset?

Can you provide a screenshot? Is only fader 1 stuck?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME