Topic: fireface ufx+ & dante

Hi,

Is this correct?

Fireface UFX+ > madi coaxial fireface ufx+ > digiface dante madi coaxial > RJ45 digiface dante > AN other switch > Dante PCI-e card = total integration of fireface ufx+ into Dante?

What would the current situation be with this?

Re: fireface ufx+ & dante

Used without USB the Digiface Dante automatically turns into a 64-channel Dante / MADI converter. The analog stereo output can be preconfigured to send out a mix of exactly those channels that are needed.

So yes... What "situation" are you referring to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: fireface ufx+ & dante

If you connect the UFX+ to the Digiface Dante its possible.
But then you have the operational burden, that you need a 2nd TM FX instance for the UFX+ to route the up to 64 channels of the UFX+ through its MADI port out towards the Dante. Later, if you found a fix setting, you can operate the UFX+ in stand-alone operation mode.
But then I personally would still regard it as disadvantage, not being able to i.e. have FX effects directly on the unit which is connected to the PC. So if you want to use FX effects for a vocalist, then you need to configure Reverb etc on the UFX+. But to be able to operate it you would require to permanently work with 2 TotalMix FX instances.
Then I do not see very cool Dante devices and none from RME.
I personally wouldnt buy i.e. Dante Preamps from Focusrite, because I made already the experience, that the Gain meters are completely inaccurate, its not comparable with RME quality.
Another thing which you also should take into consideration with Dante or any ethernet based communication ...
It runs in most of the cases over shared infrastructure, where you also might need to take care of, that the Switches are of such quality, that the Dante Audio Streams are not impacted.
With a MADI based solution you are more flexible in terms of cable length up to 2km between each of the devices, and this is a communication infrastructure which is fully dedicated for audio, fully isolated.

Still not knowing what you really intend to build up and what your budget is I would recommend you a MADI based solition which is scaleable and where you do not need to care much about distances between the recording and machine rooms.

So .. if you need only one MADI channel or split (32 optical, 32 coax) go i.e. for the UFX+.
By this you have already 8 analog inputs and outputs. And you have an FX chip on board and the very useful Durec.

If you plan to use more MADI channels, then you could also have a look to the PCIe card: HDSPe MADI FX, which also has built in FX chip.

And for MADI RME offers very good quality devices, which can be remote controlled via MIDI over MADI.

The preamps like Octamic XTC can even be fully integrated as so called AUX device.
Then you can remote control most of the channels parameters via the one TM FX instance of the UFX+.
And of course store all the parameters digitally in TM FX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13