Topic: Fireface 800 converters vs Babyface Pro converters

I now own a Babyface Pro and a Fireface 800. I've had the ff for years and just got the bfp. I haven't had time to do much with it yet, and I'm wondering how the converters compare between the two units. I read that the bfp has improved converters over the old version of the babyface, but I'm wondering if they are also improved over the converters on the ff800.

I don't really ever use more than two analog ins at a time. I'm thinking if the converters are improved by a lot then I might sell the ff800. If they're equal or close to equal then I may keep the ff800 for convenience and keep it in the rack with my external mic pre amps.

Thanks!

2 (edited by strangedays 2018-06-22 09:29:00)

Re: Fireface 800 converters vs Babyface Pro converters

I believe the Convertors are that of the UC, so in a way they are improved, however the sonic difference might only be small as the RME stuff is just good generally.

HOWEVER!  I own the Babyface pro and can say that there is no other interface I can find that is a reliable, high quality, bus powered, small, and adaptable as this one.  You can add another 8 pres with the ADAT totalling 12 audio inputs, 2 headphone outputs, 4 built in inputs directly on the device for audio, rock solid latency.  The pre amps provide plenty of gain for even my SM7b which if you read around many have to buy an external pre amp for use with other interfaces.  To have all this bus powered is fantastic, I honestly don't think there is another interface that has quite that level of core fundamental features.  I have yet to find one thing it cannot do.  Even though it does not feature the compressors due to the FX limitations it has the essential EQ and reverb.  Anyway only the UAD stuff really gives you the best of that work, and then you are into far more money for additional plugins and again it's powered through a plug so it's not portable.

only Cons -I often find the RME stuff really boring from a design/ fun aspect, is the UAD stuff has all the inbuilt processing power - but requires separate power, the other options are less reliable.  As boring as it is it also does not get in the way of my workflow, and Totalmix once understood is very adaptable.

Other cons - the Babyface Pro metal is soft and as the device is portable in every sense I have found it dents a little easily if knocked - not majorly and the metal kind of hides the problem so it's more of a niggle than a concern.  Also the jog wheel could have been slightly better designed I feel it's a little plasticy and can come of if you are not careful - however again I am just looking at minor things that once you are used to handling the unit you won't have an issue with it.

So yes - if you feel that these things away you get the Babyface, it's been an absolute storm of an interface and I still cannot find anything quite as good that's only bus powered.