Topic: Fireface 400 + ADI-2 best way of hooking these together?

Hi, i have a Fireface 400 and just recently bought the older version of the ADI-2 AD/DA-converter. Which would be the best way to connect the FF400 to the ADI-2 - Should i use an optical or digital coax cable? And what would i need to change in 'Fireface Settings'?

My way of thinking would be to connect a digital coax cable from the FF400s (red) SPDIF Out to the 'In' on the ADI-2 and set the 'Fireface Settings / SPDIF Out' to 'Professional'. I'm just not very clued up on the technical setup. I'm aware that the ADI-2 connected to my Neumann KH120A monitors with balanced leads will put me in a good place for sound design, mixing and mastering my music.

Re: Fireface 400 + ADI-2 best way of hooking these together?

I would use koaxial SPDIF, then you can use ADAT (which allows up to 8 channel) for other stuff which needs more channels.

Usually you only need a S/PDIF Coax Cable , 75 Ohm, with RCA connectors (male) on each side.
For this type of cable / transmission configure both sides to use consumer output format.
Maximum cable length is 10m according to specification.

Optionally you can also use AES which allows for cable length up to 100m. Needs 100 Ohm AES cable and professional format. And you would need RCS/XLR adapters on both ends additionally.

Set FF400 to be clock master (clock source internal) and ADI-2 to get clock from coax.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the reply and clarifying things Ramses.

A question about the differences between 'Consumer output' and 'Professional output'. Does going the 'Professional' route of connection give me any audio quality advantage over the 'Consumer' option? The FF400 sits on top of the ADI-2 so i don't need any great cable lengths. My application is mainly for music production mixing/mastering. I rarely even record anything these days, everything i do is pretty much in the digital realm (DAW VST instruments/effects) My aim is to have the best quality signal going out to my Neumann monitors to allow me to do accurate work.

This is simply a digital connection. You don't get "nicer" / "more audiophile" zeros and ones with the one or other solution.
The D/A conversion later is whats counts.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks again Ramses. I'll buy a 75 Ohm S/PDIF Coax Cable.