1 (edited by SonicExplorer 2018-07-11 20:33:04)

Topic: FF400 Rotary Dial Issue, Help Please.... UPDATE

UPDATE:

More information:   I was able to reproduce the problem without the computer even being on, just the FF400.  So this would imply it isn't related to external PC software or drivers.  The specific problem appears only when dialing down the volume knob rapidly.  It won't always stop at "infinity" symbol like it should.  Rather it will sometimes wrap back around to a very high volume level.  Doesn't seem to exhibit the same behavior in the other direction though, dialing upward always stops at +06 properly.

Further Information: Today I learned something more telling about the problem:  If I keep my index finger and thumb on the knob when I spin it quickly counter-clockwise, then it behaves correctly.  It always stops at -infinity and never wraps back around.  It's only when I spin it and let my fingers off the knob in the process that it sometimes causes the FF400 to wrap the volume setting back around to +06.  I'm guessing that means there's some kind of jitter happening internal to the encoder.  So when I keep my fingers on it, they act as a dampener.  This now has me wondering if the problem might be fixed by either cleaning the encoder or tightening the contacts (if it can be opened?).  Or, maybe adding a small capacitor across two of the pins might smooth out whatever glitch is randomly happening.  Lastly, if there was just some way to govern the limit on the signal that would be yet another acceptable solution (in other words, is there some way to set the max limit to -20 instead of +06)?

Anyone ?

---------------------------

Hi,

I m the original owner of a FF400 whose rotary dial has begun acting randomly strange if I turn it too quickly.  It will occasionally jump ahead by multiples, and I've now damaged an expensive studio monitor due to a burst of loud volume.  I've searched on the forum and it's not clear if what I'm experiencing is a faulty encoder, dirty encoder or some software/driver communication sync glitch.

Can anybody help me possibly narrow down what the issue might be?  The device did not seem to do this previously on my old W2K DAW, it seems to have surfaced only after I rebuilt a new, faster XP DAW.   ALL software and drivers are identical between the old and new DAW.

Any guidance appreciated......

Sonic