Topic: RME Digiface USB connected with various ADAT devices

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, so nice to e-meet everyone.

I'm about to upade my recording setup and I need some help in order to make the best choice.

My current setup includes 3 devices: Audient ID22, Apogee 800 and Audient asp880. I use the Audient ID22 as my main audio interface and the Apogee 800 connected through ADAT on it. The asp880 is connected to the analog inputs of the Apogee and a 6 channel headphone preamp is connected to the analog outputs of Apogee.

With this setup, I have 10 microphone preamps a 14 ouputs which I use for monitoring and cue mixes when I'm in a recording mode or summing when I'm in a mixing mode(thermionic culture summing mixer).

Now, I need to upgrade this setup a little bit. I have an API lunchbox with some preamps from Tonelux and I want to use them without loosing the Audient preamps.

So, my idea is to purchase an RME Digiface USB and connect the asp880 to the 1st, apogee 800 to the 2nd and id22 to the 3rd adat.

With this setup, I could have 8 microphone inputs from asp880, 8 microphone Inputs from the Lunchbox connected to Apogge and 2 microphone inputs from the Audient id22. Also, I will be able to keep the outputs from the audient id22 and the apogee for cue and summing purposes.

The question is, if Digiface USB will be stable enough to handle the clock for various devices connected on it. Has anyone tried a similar setup?

Keep in mind that I want only usb because I do my records remotely while having a desktop setup in my home studio and usb is accesible from everywhere.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Best,
Takis

Re: RME Digiface USB connected with various ADAT devices

Hi and welcome! all the clocks need to be in sync, so one master the others slaves. All your devices have that option so it will work great. Esiest would be the ASP880 as master through adat to the RME. The other 2 will be slaves to their adat ins from the RME.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Hi and welcome! all the clocks need to be in sync, so one master the others slaves. All your devices have that option so it will work great. Esiest would be the ASP880 as master through adat to the RME. The other 2 will be slaves to their adat ins from the RME.

Hey,

Thank you very much for the response. smile

Why do you recommend the asp880 as the master clock? Since RME Digiface will be the main audio interface shouldn't be the master clock for the rest of the devices?

Also, you think that clock will be stable enough with various devices?

RME clocks are very stable also as slaves (steady clock). AFAIK the ASP880 can only be clocked as a slave throug Wordclock(WC), and the digiface has no wordclock. If the SP880 had an adat in I indeed would advice to have the digiface as master. With clocking the easiest solution is always the best. Plus since the digiface doesn't produce any audio (no DA) it is unimportant how it is clocked. Clocking the other 2 devices is easiest and best through their adat ins (no termination etc).

You could make a complicated setup with the RME as master but there is no gain in that.

Vincent, Amsterdam

If you need to have the RME as master, clock the 2 devices with adat in to adat and the ASP880 WC to the Apoge 800 WC out.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi Vinark,

Ooook. Now it's clear! I completely forgot that Audient asp880 had only ADAT outputs. You are totally correct about the slave/master setup.

Thank you very much! I think I'm going to purchase Digiface in the next week and I'm going to share my experiene.

Best,
Takis