Topic: RME UFX - BSODs - at a loss here

I've been troubleshooting some BSODs I've been getting here with the UFX plugged in via Firewire.

With the help of the Windows forum, tenforums, it seems like the Fireface drivers are the culprit.

If I use the UFX via USB, so far it seems to be stable. It's the firewire connection that is the issue. However, I have terrible performance with the USB connection so I would much prefer to use the firewire.

I have the latest Fireface drivers and my UFX has the latest firmware. Also, my Texas Instruments firewire card has the latest drivers there too.

Here is the thread if support here wants to look at it: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes- … ption.html

Not sure how to proceed from here.

Re: RME UFX - BSODs - at a loss here

Did you try the legacy and or generic firewire drivers for you firewire card (via device manager/update driver and choose the bottom option two times(sometning  like choose yourself)). You should specify your OS too etc.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2018-07-25 19:57:17)

What card with what TI chip ?

There is at least one TI Fw chip that I know which is bugged: XIO2200A.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Timur Born 2018-07-25 20:56:34)

Also try o switch from the default "Balanced" Windows power profile to the "High Performance" one (or switch the PCIe Link State Power Management option within the profile to off).

ramses wrote:

Syba SY-PEX30016 3 Port Firewire 1394B & 1394A PCIe 1.1 x1 Card TI XIO2213B Chipset

Driver says 10.0.17134.1
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Not sure if that answers your question.

Timur Born wrote:

Also try o switch from the default "Balanced" Windows power profile to the "High Performance" one (or switch the PCIe Link State Power Management option within the profile to off).

Yeah this was already done. Thanks though

vinark wrote:

Did you try the legacy and or generic firewire drivers for you firewire card (via device manager/update driver and choose the bottom option two times(sometning  like choose yourself)). You should specify your OS too etc.

Never heard of this option. I switched to the generic one. We will see how it goes.

I'm on Windows 10 Home.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

danielbeck24 wrote:
ramses wrote:

Syba SY-PEX30016 3 Port Firewire 1394B & 1394A PCIe 1.1 x1 Card TI XIO2213B Chipset

Driver says 10.0.17134.1
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller

Not sure if that answers your question.

Ok, its not the XIO2200A, XIO2213B is fine, I also had a card with that chipset (Exsys EX-16415).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

9 (edited by Timur Born 2018-07-25 22:26:56)

That Syba card should work properly with the default FW driver and no need to switch to legacy drivers, so I would rather suspect some mainboard incompatibilities. Here is what I wrote about it in the past:

"1. You can get one of the many Syba SY-PEX30016 variants (TI XIO2213B) that are sold under various brand names. The current revision comes with a v2.0 text printed on its board.

The TI chipsets are not true PCIe controllers, instead the XIO2213B incorporates a PCIe-PCI bridge and FW controller in one chip. Performance wise that's not a drawback, but some mainboards/BIOS might be picky about the combination. It's one more bridge that can cause issues, but usually does not.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LN5VDAJPL._SL1000_.jpg

Startech sells a variation of the same design using some bigger capacitors. Unfortunately they also seem to sell the alternative LSI based card mentioned below on Amazon, using the same product name but at a lower price. They also mix images of both card variants under the same name in their own web-shop."

Timur Born wrote:

That Syba card should work properly with the default FW driver and no need to switch to legacy drivers, so I would rather suspect some mainboard incompatibilities. Here is what I wrote about it in the past:

"1. You can get one of the many Syba SY-PEX30016 variants (TI XIO2213B) that are sold under various brand names. The current revision comes with a v2.0 text printed on its board.

The TI chipsets are not true PCIe controllers, instead the XIO2213B incorporates a PCIe-PCI bridge and FW controller in one chip. Performance wise that's not a drawback, but some mainboards/BIOS might be picky about the combination. It's one more bridge that can cause issues, but usually does not.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51LN5VDAJPL._SL1000_.jpg

Startech sells a variation of the same design using some bigger capacitors. Unfortunately they also seem to sell the alternative LSI based card mentioned below on Amazon, using the same product name but at a lower price. They also mix images of both card variants under the same name in their own web-shop."

Huh that's interesting. And disheartening at the same time. I will give this legacy driver a try until it crashes (hasn't even been 24hrs yet).
What's a good TI Firewire card to get then? I'm suspicious of them all now haha. I don't mind throwing a $30 part at this problem given that the alternative is finding a new audio interface or possibly graphics card.

On a non critical part of my setup I have a firewire tascam FW1804 (for its mic pres via adat). I can choose from 3 drivers. manufacturer, generic and legacy. Of these 3 one works, one sees the interface but can't access it and the other one doesn't even see it. This makes no sense, but whatever it works. So these drivers make a big difference and all 3 are viable options.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ok well got a crash with the legacy driver too. Bummer. I'm gonna post my crash reports on the tenforums page but it's probably the same info as before.

I'll probably put up with the crashes for a couple more days here while I get some work done and then I'll switch to the USB connection for my UFX. Though that brings along with it, some horrible audio glitching that I've never been able to resolve. It will work for a while and then gradually there is some audio garble that gets progressively worse over time. The UFX does this on my Mac laptop too which is connected via USB. To fix it on my Mac it is simple. I just change the buffer size up or down, then change it back, and the problem is gone. On Windows, it takes a lot more poking to get it to fix itself. I will change the sample rate, change the buffer size, change the sample rate again, etc etc and then it will finally be back to normal. It always comes back. It's almost like the digital clock is drifting or something but I don't use an external work clock. Or the buffer isn't getting cleaned out? This particular issue ONLY happens via USB.

You can try one of the LSI/Agere based cards with their native PCIe chipset. It may work better or worse depending on your system (mostly BIOS). Here is what I wrote before:

"2. Alternatively you can get one of the LSI/Agere/Lucent 643E boards. Lindy sells one using a good revision 8 chip that in my short tests works the very same as the aforementioned TI XIO2213B variant. The main advantage is that the 643E is a true PCIe controller with no bridge chip in-between. The board is much simpler, too, which can be a good thing.

I got mine from Lindy, which was considerably cheaper here in Germany. Their web-site shows a red PCB, but I got a (likely more current) green one. It's the very same design as the old (?) Startech and I expect various clones to exist under different names."

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/PEX1394B3LP.main.jpg