1 (edited by danilo85 2018-07-28 09:37:27)

Topic: Fireface UC Driver trouble

Hey dear Forum members,

just encountered a weird problem, been pulling hairs for hours already, hope somebody can help.

I ve got 2 separate studios and was moving my RME Fireface UC (2009 model i think) from one to the other.
Decided to get a second, brand-new Fireface UC.

On my macbook pro 10.10.5, the new Fireface works after some fiddling around finding the right driver.

However, on my main studio Imac (10.6.8) NOTHING seems to work.

- First tried just plugging it straight in with old drivers installed, doesn't work.
- Tried installing newer drivers, always crashes right before it should write to disk with an "unknown error - contact the manufacturer" message.
- Older drivers up to 2012 go through with installation, but the Fireface is not working. Settings/TotalMix don't open up, in Cubase it doesn't show up. (The usb port of the Imac recognizes it though!)

I tried all of the following:

- Remove all traces of previous drivers in the Library etc
- Run Disk Utility, passes through without trouble and renewed the access rights too.
- Run Imac & Fireface in 'Safe Mode'

Nothing. None of the drivers on the RME site works. Mind you, with my other Fireface i NEVER had any trouble at all, also running it on different OS. It is at the other studio though, 800 km away.. So what could be the problem and how to fix it ? I m having deadlines and am going a bit crazy over here... Thought the same sound card should work the same way lol!!
Hope someone can shed some light on this!

EDIT: Updating the OS would be a last resort that i d really hope to avoid. I have tons of plugs that won't work under Sierra, and you know how it is in Pro Audio.. Never change a winning team.

2 (edited by ramses 2018-07-28 10:09:36)

Re: Fireface UC Driver trouble

Hi sorry to hear what problems you have. From your description its not possible for me to follow what combination originally worked and where exactly you have the problem now.

I think its important in such a weired / complex case to be clear about the details.
So could you please give it please more structure, that its easier to support you.

i.e.:

Studio A: original situation, which worked, UC#1
Which MAC, OS Version, RME Driver version ?

Studio B: has now UC#1
Which MAC, OS Version, RME Driver version ?
What drivers did you test ? What doesnt work ? Any error messages ?

New UC has been bought UC#2 and moved now to which Studio ?
Which Studio / UC#? device/driver combination works now ?
Which Studio / UC#? device/driver combination works not ?

Maybe as a 1st idea I would move the UC#1 back to the studio where it initially worked,
then you have 1 working studio again.

After this has been addressed we should concentrate on Studio B and evaluate rest issues with the new device.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by danilo85 2018-07-28 10:58:56)

Thx for getting back. I ll try to make it more clear.

Setup 1, my main studio in the south of germany, runs an Imac 2008 with 10.6.8. and UC#1 worked on here with driver versions 'Fireface USB Driver v.1.68' and before that with v1.19

Setup 2 is in Paris, Macbook Pro 10.10.5 with the latest driver.  UC #1 worked here with the latest driver installed on the Macbook.
It would cost me at least 2 days of work and hundreds of euros to get there.. I left UC#1 there because its all wired up thinking if i just get another UC for my main studio i can finally stop moving them around.
So i don't have the option of testing with UC#1 here at Studio 1 for now and frankly i have deadlines and it would be a total pain & money waste to go get it.

But lets start with the good then, UC#2 works on my macbook pro 10.10.5 with the latest driver.

Studio 1 / Main Studio: Imac 2008, 10.6.8.
UC#1 worked on here with driver versions 'Fireface USB Driver v.1.68' and before that with v1.19

for UC#2

- 1.68/ 1.19 : Installation goes through, but Fireface Settings & TotalMix won't open/recognize the card. USB Hub of Imac recognizes it but its also not selectable as audio device for the Imac.. so basically it just recognizes its on the port but no drivers detected.
- 1.76/ 1.86 / 2.22 & also the one from the cd that came with it and the latest download on RME site: Installation goes through up to the point where you put your adminstrator password, then crashes with error message: "unknown error occurred. Please contact Manufacturer" with only the option to close the installation left..

I tried literally anything i could find on this forum already. Disk Utility, installing as Different User etc..

OS X driver for UC and 10.6.8 would be version 2.22. You can try older versions by downloading them with a changed download string in your browser, from version 176 up to 222 they are all on the website. Example:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_209.zip

will download version 2.09.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

> Setup 2 is in Paris, Macbook Pro 10.10.5 with the latest driver.
> UC #1 worked here with the latest driver installed on the Macbook.

What is "latest driver" ? There are three drivers on the USB download page for Mac and as soon as RME releases a new driver update then a phrase like this brings absolutely no clarity.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> Setup 2 is in Paris, Macbook Pro 10.10.5 with the latest driver.
> UC #1 worked here with the latest driver installed on the Macbook.

What is "latest driver" ? There are three drivers on the USB download page for Mac and as soon as RME releases a new driver update then a phrase like this brings absolutely no clarity.

yes, sorry for that!  it ran on V2.22

I ve been trying some of the other drivers now with UC#2, but everything from 1.76 upwards leads to the same installation crash. The last one i have here that goes through with installation, yet doesn't recognize the card, is 1.68

If i install 1.68 and check afterwards what it actually installed, its only the Fireface USB settings, the total mix and in the library only one (!) file named de.rme-audio.firefaceUSBagent.plist in the 'LaunchAgents' folder. Nothing at all in Preferences. 
shouldn't there be more?

thanks for your quick help, much appreciated.

Driver 1.68 will not work with OS higher than 10.5. Mentioned on the download page and in the readme.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

yes ok. but whatever the case is, i cant install any of the later drivers, meaning i won't be able to use neither of the 2 Firefaces on the IMac from now on.
So that leaves me with the option to reinstall everything / OS etc or get a new computer altogether i guess?
Not exactly what i had in mind sad

9 (edited by ramses 2018-07-28 13:34:47)

I shortened more to have better overview

Studio 1 - Munich - initially with UC#1
Imac 2008, 10.6.8., works with driver v1.19 and v1.68

Studio 2 - Paris
Macbook Pro, 10.10.5
UC #1 works with driver v2.22 (stays there)
UC #2 works with driver v2.22 (moves later to studio #1)

Change: UC#1 stays in Studio 2 and UC#2 moves to Studio 1

Studio 1 - Now with the new UC#2
Imac 2008, 10.6.8
(In the past UC #1 worked here with driver v1.19 and v1.68 (but is now in Studio #2))
Now UC #2 has issues:
1. Issue with 1.68/ 1.19: Reply MC: Driver 1.68 will not work with OS higher than 10.5
2. Issue with 1.76/ 1.86 / 2.22 & also the one from the cd that came with it and the latest download on RME site: Installation goes through up to the point where you put your adminstrator password, then crashes with error message: "unknown error occurred. Please contact Manufacturer" with only the option to close the installation left..

As you wrote that
- UC#1 worked in Studio #1 and Studio #2 with driver v1.19 and v1.68
- UC#2 worked in Studio #2 with driver v2.22

an option might be to
- move UC #1 back to Studio 1 and using driver v1.19 or v1.68
- move UC #2 back to Studio 2 using driver v2.22

I understand that moving the FFs would be the easiest, but i havent really got the time now to go to paris and back, i d rather spend those 300 bucks towards a new Imac or replacement of some sort..

There is no way to just manually copy all the files to the specific Library folders etc? Basically install it without the installer. Sorry, i m far from being an expert, just seeking out any option possible.

It seems to me that what you describe could be a simple signing issue. Our drivers come signed with certificates so Apple's OS allows them. You might not have allowed updates that puts newer certificates on the failing machine, so it won't accept them. Otherwise there is no logical reason that the driver installation fails as it works for anyone else.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

danilo85 wrote:

I understand that moving the FFs would be the easiest, but i havent really got the time now to go to paris

DHL (international, express) ? Rest via Remote Administration over internet ?

MC wrote:

It seems to me that what you describe could be a simple signing issue. Our drivers come signed with certificates so Apple's OS allows them. You might not have allowed updates that puts newer certificates on the failing machine, so it won't accept them. Otherwise there is no logical reason that the driver installation fails as it works for anyone else.

that sounds logical indeed, but i did check my security settings and i couldnt find anything that would prevent this.
Also installed other software just to see if it would do something and it does install..
Where/What would I have to check to allow updates?

14 (edited by ramses 2018-07-28 19:56:31)

This is maybe something that you could ask Apple.
Its something general in terms of driver installation, not limited to RME.

ramses wrote:

This is maybe something that you could ask Apple.
Its something general in terms of driver installation, not limited to RME.

Thx - i ll look into it when i got the time.

In the end I went a out today and bought a new Imac too, setting it up at the moment, FF installed like a charm of course.
So - for the moment i m all good. I just hope i can get the old configuration with 10.6.8 running back in Paris (will move the old imac there) , otherwise i ll have to go through upgrading there too i guess.

Its funny, i have tons of machines from the 60s onwards who rarely give me a headache - even 'known' buggy synths / multitrack tape etc.. but computers always manage to ruin my day wink Thanks anyway for helping out, i have too much work piled up to wait so i bit the bullet and just went for a new computer too.
I just hope for a smooth ride from here on out. (Cubase 5 wont work on High Sierra, so off to a good start lol)