Topic: Babyface problems/errors

Hello!

I have a RME Babyface (with the latest firmware and driver) running on a Windows 7 x64 machine (Intel Core i7, 6 GB RAM).

What do the errors on the left side of the slash and what the errors on the right side of the slash mean in the Fireface USB Settings? I always get errors on the right side (Errors: 0/123).

I think I'm getting more errors since I enabled the Battery Care function on my Sony VAIO. Should I disable it, together with C3/C6 states in BIOS, would that help? Disableing the C states makes my CPU run hotter thought.

I've also run the LatencyMon tool and got bad results: The problematic drivers (taking too long) are ACPI.sys and nvlddmkm.sys (Nvidia). What can I do about it?

I would like to eliminate the crackling and errors and skipping that I get when recording or mixing audio (my DAW is Mixcraft). Sometimes I even get an error while simply playing music with Winamp (just a glitch, maybe a little skip - that's how it sounds).
The buffer size I use is 128 samples and I'd rather not double it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Babyface problems/errors

Help me, pretty please. smile

OK, since here's no help/support for my problems, could you tell me about another forum where I could be helped, maybe something like unofficial RME forum where users help each other or something?

Thank you.

Today I tried to record something with my webcam and this is what I'm getting. Can someone please tell me how to solve the errors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmnaA1IoEI

Thank you!

Would anyone please help me about it? What do those errors mean and how can I make it work alright?

These are USB transmission errors (recoverable and unrecoverable). Disabling battery polling should help somewhat. Disabling WiFi and adjusting the Nvidia driver settings may help further.

On a correctly working system your error counter should show 0/0.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I see, thank you. I have WiFi disabled at all times. Battery polling means Battery care? I will disable that too even though it will decrase the battery lifetime. Should I also disable the C3/C6 states in BIOS? I have no idea how to adjust the Nvidia driver though, any idea?

Thanx!

Obviously your USB is not working as it should. And also obviously there can be a million reasons why this happens. Computer hardware, computer settings, computer software, USB cable, power supply needed for the BF...sorry, but that can not be solved from a distance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So I've tested my PC with the LatencyMon and the biggest two problems were ACPI.sys and nvlddmkm.sys.

I have the wireless card disabled at all times. I have then disabled the Battery Care function and that didn't help. I have disabled the C3/C6 state support in BIOS - didn't help either.

Then I have found some information on the internet about disabling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in the Device Manager as it could fix the ACPI.sys problem - I have trided it and the ACPI.sys problem is gone! I only hope that my battery won't blow or overheat or get damaged or anything like that (what do you think?).
My battery level indicator icon is gone now but if that means better audio performance - OK.

Before that the LatencyMon reported that my machine has problems with dropouts and now it says that it's suitable for handling real-time audio without dropouts (as seen on the pic below).

Still, if possible, I'd like to get ride of the nvlddmkm.sys (Nvidia) problem as well - but don't know how (do you?).

Also, what are those hard pagefault resolution times (on the pic)? The number si huge and the indicator is RED but at the top it still says that my PC is capable of real-time audio tasks. What are the hard pagefaults about then, are they relevant?

http://shrani.si/f/1l/g3/1GnB8QhT/untitled.png

Regarding the crazy USB transmisison errors recorded on the video above (youtube link): they only occur when I enable audio recording when trying to record with my Logitech webcam in Camtasia Studio. I then raised buffer size (latency) from 128 to 512 and there were no more errors (but I'd like to keep the latency as low as possible).

I still get crackling noise in my DAW (Mixcraft) when playing back recorded tracks, even with latency set to 512... What else do you suggest?

Thank you for your help!

The nVidia problem has been discussed several times in this forum, a longer time ago. Please search. I also did not see you mention that you have set the Windows power scheme to 'High Performance'.

Basically it all comes down to that your notebook seems to have all the errors from former generations that should not be there these days any longer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Bellzemos wrote:

Then I have found some information on the internet about disabling the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in the Device Manager as it could fix the ACPI.sys problem - I have trided it and the ACPI.sys problem is gone! I only hope that my battery won't blow or overheat or get damaged or anything like that (what do you think?).
My battery level indicator icon is gone now but if that means better audio performance -

No risk of damage, to the best of my knowledge - you just lose the battery indicator. This is a known issue, see http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3437

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

12 (edited by Timur Born 2014-11-11 11:32:47)

The Windows ACPI control driver only checks battery load (every 15 seconds), it doesn't control it. The laptop hardware does that by itself, else you couldn't load the battery while the laptop is off.

Look for Nvidia Powermizer Manager in the web. Disable all Battery Save functions.
Georg

@ MC -  My Windows power scheme is and always was set to 'High Performance'.

@ georgob - I don't have the Nvidia Powermizer Manager on my computer. My GPU is Geforce 425M. Should I download the Nvidia Powermizer Manager, install it and optimize it? I would think that since it's not installed all the battery functions are off by default?

Thank you all for help!

A note: I have Nvidia Display Driver Service set to Disabled in the Windows Services (I did that quite some time ago). Should I enable it? Where can I download a legitimate version of the Nvidia Powermizer Manager (do I need it)? Please help me sort this thing out.

Could you please help me about the Nvidia thing? Thank you. smile

I also have a little off topic question: For audio production, using Babyface, would you suggest Windows 8.1 over Windows 7? Or is it about the same regarding the system itself? I know it's all about the tweaks. And please, please help me... Should I write you an email for support instead of asking here?

18 (edited by Timur Born 2014-11-12 21:17:24)

Did you try uninstalling the NVidia drivers and use the ones that come with Windows 7 (older generation drivers)? Are you using current ones from NVidia's web-site or the ones coming with the laptop? I'd try all three of these.

Next thing to try:

Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global (or specific for your daw application) -> Power Management Mode -> change from Adaptive to "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Usually this only works for 3D applications, so likely won't help with 2D DAW software.

Powermizer Manager is old software that might not help anymore. But it's worth giving it a try. The one linked to in the following forum seems free of viruses: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gateway … nager.html

Hi,

no, I haven't tried that. The driver that's currently on the VAIO support site for my VAIO type is dated 24-04-2013 (NVIDIA - 8.17.12.6672). The driver I have curently installed is a newer one but I do you really thing that going back to an older driver would help? I will try. The one that laptop came with is long gone, my HDD was formatted.

I will have to enable the Nvidia Control Panel first, I have it disabled at the moment. I will try that too, but I have probably already set it ot Maximum Performance.

I'm kind of afraid to install the old Powermizer Manager. Can it mess up my computer in any way?

Thank you for helping me.

Going back to an older driver can help very much in this case. Back when I used an NVidia based Macbook Pro with Windows the only NVidia driver that did not suffer from Powermizer issues was an older one offered from Microsoft's own driver catalog website.

The Powermizer only messes with Registry settings used by the NVidia driver. It can also backup and restore the settings and a driver reinstallation likely restores them anyway. Back then I also found one registry hack that would work, but I don't know if I can find that again (I found it by comparing the Microsoft catalog driver with the others). Once Powermizer Manager was available I just used that.

Hi,

I tried with the old Nvidia driver from the laptop's site but got the same resoults (or even worse).

Then I installed the latest driver and got even worse new problems. How to solve them?

http://shrani.si/f/1i/fe/1NlDfhgx/latency.png

http://shrani.si/f/e/xs/2WnYV0pf/latency2.png

Please help me.

Hello again!

I'm thinking of installing Windows 8.1 alongside my Windows 7 OS - dual boot - so I can safely troubleshoot this latency problem.

I would take 60 GB from my HDD and dedicate it for the Windows 8.1 installation where I would then test the Babyface, DAW etc.

I would use a program called Autoruns to completely disable the problematic Nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys) that's causing latency and see if that helps (or completely breaks the system).

What do you guys think?

Anyone, please? smile

Just go ahead and try. There is no crystal ball which tells the results upfront.
I would also try a new installation of Windows 7 with only the really required drivers and not too much on top.
Directly after Windows installation and activation I would make a disk image that you have this as a good starting
point should something go wrong (i.e. by using Acronis True Image Home 2014).
I would then make a latency mon test directly after windows installation and then before each new driver installation.
I would also configure the system to allow for recovery points and set one before installing a new driver component.
Shall you see with latencymon that something makes it really worse, you can easily go back.
In terms of Latencymon. For Windows 7 better use the older version 4.02, which gives better results in terms of kernel latency. Version 6 got changes for Windows 8. Although you can re-enable the kernel latencies it shows strangs results.
If you do not get the old version from their web site, then you can grab it from my dropbox.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … n-4.02.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/961 … 02.exe.md5

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you so much! I will try your old LatencyMon version too. Now LatencyMon shows the nvlddmkm.sys driver from Nvidia as the main latency culprit. But I've read that this driver is the main Nvidia driver - without it I will be running a low resolution Windows. If that's true then I'm basically screwed, I think. Anyway, thank you, you've been very helpful!

Hi again!

After replacing LatencyMon 6.0 with 4.02 on my Windows 7 x64 the results seem even worse (sorry for the large screenshot):
http://shrani.si/f/1U/wQ/4iRQq35x/402worse60.png

It shows that one of the problems is nvlddmkm.sys but there seem to be even worse problems - I can't tell what exactly though?

27 (edited by ramses 2015-02-09 23:01:25)

Maybe also try to find out whether you have perhaps IRQ conflicts. Disabling not used hardware might also be worth a try. Or to see whether it makes a difference. Before buying a Laptop I would go to a shop and try to execute latencymon.
The Lenovos are quiete smart, my T540p has a latency in the range of 50µs .. thats pretty smart.
Another possibility, align with a shop that builds up laptops for recording .. ask them how they perform.
Maybe better to spend a few bucks more and other peops do the research for you ...
Its taking long time to do it on your own, to build up knowledge and finally you have a gotcha after buying new HW after maybe 1-2 frustrating years ... new HW and of all sudden it works ... I had such a gotcha experience.
MSI P55 GD65 board .. never better values than 60-100µs kernel timer latency.
Then I got the P55A GD65 (which brought me USB3 and Sata6, and I could keep old CPU and Mem) .. and with that board - on an idle system - the latency went down up to 1.5µs, with recurring peaks of under 10µs.
But you need to make many test and observations by changing BIOS settings, fine tuning system .. and the bad thing is that on Laptops the BIOS tuning is very limited and the CPU and chipsets are optimized for accu life, low power consumption.
Therefore I prefer Desktops for recording.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

28 (edited by Bellzemos 2015-02-10 04:28:11)

How can I tell if I have IRQ conflicts? I have already disabled all the hardware that I don't use in the Device Manager (including the wireless card).

And yes, I like Lenovos a lot but I have already bough this VAIO (which was expensive and it otherwise a good laptop) and I will have to stick with it and find a way to make it usable for audio production. I have recorded and produced quite some music on it already with RME Babyface. But in the later months I am getting a lot of errors and I always had problems with crackling etc. in the DAW.

So, wait, when you changed the MOBO model (a similar model that is) your latency went down from 60-100 to 1,5-10? That's amazing. You didn't do anything else that could change the latency? Why did you change the MOBO? Is it a different chipset or what is the change that lessens the latency?

On my laptop the only settings that I can change in the BIOS are Time & Date, Boot Order, Intel Vanderpool On/Off and C3/C6 CPU State On/Off. I tried both settings for the C3/C6 but it didn't affect the latency, only the CPU was hotter when if was set to off.

In the future I will buy a desktop and connect the Babyface to it but for now I have to fix the VAIO so that the errors go away and latency decreases. There were no errors a year ago or so, I don't know what happened.

Thank you for your help!

PS: What is the kernel timer latency exactly? It's really high in my LatencyMon resoluts. How can I go about fixing it?

Please, do answer (when you have time). smile

Yesterday I letf the LatencyMon running for an hour and it showed no excessive latency (all under 1000). It has it times or so it seems, weird...

> What is the kernel timer latency exactly?..

You simply need to look at the explanations on the webpage, where LatencyMon is being offered. But you need to take time, those things are usually beyond an end users scope and is a deeper dive into how Windows works on interrupt level.

32 (edited by Timur Born 2015-02-18 10:04:51)

You already reported the culprit as being the NVidia drivers.

First thing to try is: Powermizer Manager

http://nvidia-powermizer-manager.software.informer.com/

If that doesn't help then try what I suggested in 2011:

Everyone with issues, please check if the following registry key contains NVidia settings on your system:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\ Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]

If it does then add the following entry (enter the name without the quotes):

"RmPowerFeature"=dword:00000050

Also try different values, 40 might be good. And be aware that your GPU fan might be running all the time as the GPU might get hot.

Last, but not least, you could try to find a 261.28 Quadro driver and hack its inf file to install it on your system. But that needs a bit more work and insight.

I have the registry key that you posted under the CurrentControlSet as well as under the ControlSet001.

I'm a little afraid to add the RmPowerFeature and set it to 50 or 40 since you said that the GPU will get hot. I don't want to ruint anything, this is a laptop and there only one fan that takes 2 pipes off to the CPU and the GPU.

What exactly does the entry do? And what do the values mean? How would this help with latency?

Thank you!

The entry changes how the driver controls the GPU power states. Since this is what causes your DPCs (GPU sleeps too long) the only way to get rid of it is to find a better working driver, change how GPU power saving works (registry entry) or turn off power saving completely.

Try it, monitor your temperatures via GPUZ or similar software and see if it helps. If not then you need another computer.

i have a problem with my babyface rme, my first installation on win 10 pro latest version was successful, but the size of the totalmix window was too big, i didn't see, so i have manually deleted the totalmix folders.
after i have tried to reinstall again there were errors.
i have sound but i don't see totalmix.
how to solve that issue, thanks.