1 (edited by runesig 2018-08-11 21:24:40)

Topic: Connecting Fireface UFX ouputs to live mixer

Hi, I need some advice. I am going to connect my Fireface UFX to a FOH mixer for play back use of backing tracks live. The outputs are directly connected with TRS to XLR to mic on FOH. +4 dbu on outputs. When everything is at unity in Fireface I have to turn gain all the way down. It is very close to clipping. Should I connect a DI between with a pad or is it “good enough” to just turn volume down on Fireface.

Re: Connecting Fireface UFX ouputs to live mixer

Handbook page 105:

DA, Line Out 3-8, rear
[...]
Output level switchable Hi Gain, +4 dBu, -10 dBV

Try then lower output level of -10 dBV.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, yes that is actually helping. But do you know if the impedance is correct? That is also something a DI takes care of right?  Thank you!

4 (edited by ramses 2018-08-12 13:33:06)

What Mixer and what is the type of input. Analog input or Mic input ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, I am connecting it to mic inputs of a of a QSC Touchmix. I need as many outputs as possible from Fireface (at least 5). Thanks!

6 (edited by ramses 2018-08-13 06:33:26)

XLR plugs can be applicable to both, Mic inputs and symmetric line inputs. When looking to the specs of several of their products, then it appears to me, that the XLR inputs can be used for Mic and Line.

Same like with the RME Octamic XTC, you can connect either 8 Mics, but can also use these inputs for balanced lines.
RME automatically detects this, I am not sure, whether you need to configure the input to be for Mic or Line.

This I deduce from their Specifications overview on product web page (sorry no link here, their webserver has no static link to it, too much scripting instead of a copy / paste-able URL :-/).

TouchMix-30 Pro
Inputs     32 (24 mic/line, 6 line, 2 stereo USB)
Mic/Line   24 (20 XLR, 4 XLR combo)

TouchMix-16
Inputs      22
Mic/Line    16 (12 XLR, 4 XLR combo)

TouchMix-8
Inputs      14
Mic/Line      8 (4 XLR, 4 XLR combo)

Look at your manual, contact the seller, contact the vendor or ask in their user forum to double check.

For me it looks as if you only need a TRS to XLR cable between UFX and your QSC mixer for a balanced line connection like i.e. this here: https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cpm_5 … ImVuIn0%3D

Thank you very much! Really appreciate it.