Topic: New babyface pro

Hi, is there any plan about upgrading the current babyface pro? It looks like the ad/da performance of current model could not compete with other pro products. Hopefully you are going to release a new version. Thanks

Re: New babyface pro

Wondering what do you mean by ad/da performance in particular, can you please detail ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Wondering what do you mean by ad/da performance in particular, can you please detail ?

dynamic range, thd+n compare with focusrite clarett, apollo twin mkii, apogee element due to the earlier release date. However bfp has the best driver and totalmix which I really like.

Minor difference of technical specs at this level is pretty much academic imho. Its a fantastic sounding unit -  just wish it had a little built in talk back mic!

5 (edited by blekko 2018-08-16 00:48:41)

ramses wrote:

If you got a chance, please take a look at this test by pro tools experts.com
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc … interfaces

He (and we) know that one. And we really don't care, sorry.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26721

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2018-08-18 07:23:45)

blekko wrote:
ramses wrote:

If you got a chance, please take a look at this test by pro tools experts.com
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc … interfaces

And where is the problem ?

"Output Dynamic Range
This test I believe needs a little clarification.  The Apogee quartet did very well with a figure of 121.55dB and the AudioFuse at 117dB. The RME Babyface Pro only scores 109dB which we believe could be down to this being the only unit in the test selection that is buss powered. RME do not supply a PSU with the Babyface Pro as standard so we had to use the buss powering option.  Potentially buss power might not be able to offer what the unit needs to operate at it most effective so this could have been a factor in this result. "

In regards to the test conditions: not very professional IMHO.
Is it such a big problem for the testers to get a standard power supply to take care for equal test conditions ?

In regards to equal test conditions, does it make sense to test devices
- of different price range
- for different use cases ?
The BBFP is designed for portability and that it also can run via bus power.
The Apogee is double the price compared to a BBFP.

I think according to the price and that the unit ran bus powered, the BBFP delivered excellent results.
And some of the results were the best of all 4 test candidates.

Additionally I want to say that the BBFP delivers additional advantages that you also have to take into consideration:

• FPGA Design: most likely none of the competitors have an interface design fully based on FPGAs, which allows flashing of the unit for fixes or firmware/feature expansions

• FPGA Design goes at RME so far that even the USB or whatever communication is being performed via FPGA and thus can also be flashed and corrected, should there be an issue. Most other interfaces have a 3rd party communication chip fix built in, which can not be changed afterwards. Some of them might be slow or even have a bug. Only Thunderbolt based Interfaces might not suffer from this as this is "PCIe". But with this you have other issues. Higher price and Thunderbolt capable PCs/Laptops are rare and it can not be upgraded if the mainboard and the BIOS is not prepared for this. The latter is the worst problem with TB.

• Class Compliant Mode to be used with iPAD or Linux ALSA drivers

• SteadyClock, extremely precise clocking mechanism invented by RME

• Digicheck Analysis Software for which you usually pay a lot

• The competitors doesnt offer something compareable to TotalMix FX.

• A functionality like TotalMix Remote none of the competitors has at the horizon

• TotalMix FX of course has a loopback function. Other vendors like Focusrite do not offer anymore the very useful loopback functionality through all interfaces of the Scarlett series. This means you need to dedicate 2 input and 2 output analog ports for performing loopback recording (if you have then free and the cables in the situation, where you need it).

• All competitors do not maintain the software like RME does, from time to time you get additions like TotalMix Remote. Such thing no other vendor does to give you later additional values at no cost

• Windows only: Global Record. An excellent alternative to perform recordings very reliable as it avoids the complexity of a DAW which might hang from time to time depending how stable the product is and what VSTs you use

• Furthermore the BBFP has the stable and performant ASIO drivers and had the lowest latency @44.1 of all four test candidates

• The BBFP at least allows for bus powered operation. Most other vendors sell either cheap bus powered recording interfaces with the limitation not to allow to connect a power supply (very bad) OR the bigger units can only operate with a power supply and do not allow bus powered operation. So the BBFP is in this regards a masterpiece, as I do not know any other vendor, which is able to design a unit with these features, numbers of I/Os and the flexibility to still run bus powered.

Sorry, but I do not see any problem with the BBF Pro in this test. Consider, it was being driven bus powered during this test against units with a power supply and double price. IMHO it delivered an excellent performance and is feature wise absolutely the best in the market.

In regards to purchase decisions

If you buy a recording interface you need to see and honour the whole package including driver performance/stability, bundled software, service and whether you get driver fixes or additional features after purchase and such things.

A few decible do not hurt that much compared to a limited mixer software with which you have to work every day and feel its limitations. I personally always struggled with Mixcontrol, when I owned a Focusrite LS 56 many years ago, as this software was neither flexible nor logic in its use.

Also the quality of documentation is important. The other products do not deliver that much information and technical details that RME delivers printed and this in two languages (de/en).

Also the support. When you talk with RME i.e. via user forum, then CEO, lead designer and support are very active and  supportive. I know from experience that this is not the case for other products.

And in regards to sustainability of purchase .. I do not know any other vendor who delivers goodies for all customers and in most cases for all interfaces back to 2001: TotalMix FX, ARC USB support, TotalMix Remote .. to give only a few examples.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> Furthermore the BBFP has the stable and performant ASIO drivers and had the lowest latency @44.1 of all four test candidates

Their testing of latency was invalid. I mentioned that in the other link. They just used the lowest offered buffer size, no matter if that would work or not in real-world applications. And we all know it usually won't.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME