Topic: New RME user?

Hello, my name is John and love to make music. In the past years I build a nice homestudio. I upgraded all my gear but not jet my interface. I had a few interfaces (budget) like Roland quad Capture and on this moment I have a Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP. I want to upgrade to a RME interface, but I have two questions:
- I only record vocals via a Focusrite Isa One preamp and control my monitors. Is the RME babyface pro good for this job or shut I buy a RME fireface uc (I like the specs!)
-Will there be a noticable difference in sound (AD DA) vs the Saffire pro 24 DSP?

2 (edited by ramses 2018-08-11 17:26:54)

Re: New RME user?

Do you have the ISA one with the digital daugherboard ?
What is your max. budget ?

An overview about RME recording interfaces (except PCI/PCIe cards) you can get from this excel sheet which I compiled out of different sources of information (Handbook, Product Page, Forum): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 18-08-pdf/

Ideal would be UC or UCX or even better UFX II as "base" to have TotalMix FX as platform for routing etc and that you could even make use of the ARC USB remote control.

If you have enough budget, you can think about integrating the ADI-2 Pro FS into your setup for reference quality A/D and D/A conversion.

The integration of the ADI-2 Pro FS could be done like described here in my Blog Article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

If your Focusrite Interface has digital outputs, then you can integrate the ADI-2 Pro also with this device.
But then you are still missing the very good TM FX software.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello Jebschuur,

I also have a Focusrite ISA One preAmp and I also record vocals.
My ISA One preamp does not have the digital daughter board (it was too expensive for me at the time I bought it). As soon as the price will drop, I’ll get this daughter board to connect it with my
UFX.

I have an RME UFX and the ISA One is connected to the UFX via a rear analog input.

That’s my perfect setup (record with a TLM 107 and a Blue Bluebird tat I prefer for my voice).

Hope his helps...
Philippe

PhilippeMustang wrote:

Hello Jebschuur,

I also have a Focusrite ISA One preAmp and I also record vocals.
My ISA One preamp does not have the digital daughter board (it was too expensive for me at the time I bought it). As soon as the price will drop, I’ll get this daughter board to connect it with my
UFX.

I have an RME UFX and the ISA One is connected to the UFX via a rear analog input.

That’s my perfect setup (record with a TLM 107 and a Blue Bluebird tat I prefer for my voice).

Hope his helps...
Philippe

Hi Philippe, I don't think that is a meaningful investment anyway. The UFX converters are very good and there is no theoretical difference if converted in the ISA or in the UFX, let alone an audible difference...Only thing you "gain" is having to worry about digital clocking ;-) .

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

jebschuurs wrote:

Hello, my name is John and love to make music. In the past years I build a nice homestudio. I upgraded all my gear but not jet my interface. I had a few interfaces (budget) like Roland quad Capture and on this moment I have a Focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP. I want to upgrade to a RME interface, but I have two questions:
- I only record vocals via a Focusrite Isa One preamp and control my monitors. Is the RME babyface pro good for this job or shut I buy a RME fireface uc (I like the specs!)
-Will there be a noticable difference in sound (AD DA) vs the Saffire pro 24 DSP?

-Both are great
- Noticeable? Probably not unless the Focusrite is designed wrong. What are the problems you want to solve? Just wanting better is not the best motivation IMHO. Are the noisy? Dull? Bad stereo imaging?
As an extra, RME have the best low latency drivers, they make a lot of difference!

Vincent, Amsterdam

6 (edited by ramses 2018-08-16 16:02:11)

vinark wrote:
jebschuurs wrote:

-Both are great
- Noticeable? Probably not unless the Focusrite is designed wrong. What are the problems you want to solve? Just wanting better is not the best motivation IMHO. Are the noisy? Dull? Bad stereo imaging?
As an extra, RME have the best low latency drivers, they make a lot of difference!

Don't forget TotalMix, working with Focusrite Mixcontrol was always a pain for me.
Or DigiCheck tools.
As Firewire can be regarded as nearly dead and as the Windows 10 Support isn't that great when I recap some threads,
then I would sell the Focusrite and looking towards USB2 or USB3/TB based solutions.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Agreed, was just a reply towards noticeable difference... One man's noticeable is an other ones sounds identical.

Vincent, Amsterdam