Topic: suggestions for Babyface expansion

Any suggestions for expanding inputs to Babyface?  I would need 4 inputs and was wondering if the Quadmic could be used.  I don't see any reference to ADAT in its specs.  If the Quadmic cannot be used, any suggestions RME or otherwise?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: suggestions for Babyface expansion

No ADAT on the Quadmic, but the Octamic will work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Thanks.  Just curious, the Octamic is roughly the same price as a Fireface 800.  So, if one already has a Babyface, but needed to record 4-8 channels simultaneously, would it be better to use the Octamic as a front-end to the Babyface, or to buy the Fireface?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

Does anyone else have any thoughts, especially someone who is familiar with both pieces of equipment?

Thanks,
Steve

HI Steve,
Either will work fine. The FF800 will be more complicated to deal with at first sense you will install the driver and plug the Firewire into your system in order to setup the routing for stand alone AD/DA mode. It will also only have the 4 Mic-Pres. The rest will all be line level.
The FF800 would be useful though say if you used it say in the studio and then used the babyface for mobile use.
You can have both plugged into your system at once as long as you have a free USB and a free Firewire port.
On the PC they will be seen as 2 different devices. On the MAC you can set them up as a Aggregate device which makes them show up as one audio device with  all the I/O from units list together. On the PC you will them listed as separate devices under ASIO and under WDM.
What I would do If I was wanting to use both would be to use the FF800 as the main unit and then plug the Babyfaces ADAT and SPDIF I/O into the FF800. This way channels 13-20 (ADAT port 1) on the FF800 become extra analog line and Mic-pres and you can use the left over digital I/O for accessing the Babyface built in effects for recording or for effects send/returns inside you recording program.

With this setup you could even add the Octimic II to ADAT port 2 at some point as long as you working at 44.1/48k you will get 16 channels of ADAT to utilize.
If your system does not have Fire wire then it is less attractive than the Octamic II sense you would need to setup the stand alone routing on another computer in order to do this.
The Octamic II would be the most straight forward solution in this case. Just plug in cables and go.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hi Chris,

This is very helpful.  I have one question left - are the mic pres on the Octamic II better than on the FF800 and on the BF?  I would have guessed that they are, but perhaps the Octamic cost is more related to the greater number of mic pres in the Octamic.  Also, I think that you are saying that if this is for a session requiring portability, than the Octamic is clearly the better way to go.  In my case, Firewire is not an issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Octamic II preamps are a newer design, so better than FF800, roughly the same as Babyface.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response.  This is great news.  I am very happy with my Babyface, but I never would have guessed that its preamps would be so well regarded compared to other, pricier RME products.

Steve

ChrisADK wrote:

HI Steve,
Either will work fine. The FF800 will be more complicated to deal with at first sense you will install the driver and plug the Firewire into your system in order to setup the routing for stand alone AD/DA mode. It will also only have the 4 Mic-Pres. The rest will all be line level.
The FF800 would be useful though say if you used it say in the studio and then used the babyface for mobile use.
You can have both plugged into your system at once as long as you have a free USB and a free Firewire port.
On the PC they will be seen as 2 different devices. On the MAC you can set them up as a Aggregate device which makes them show up as one audio device with  all the I/O from units list together. On the PC you will them listed as separate devices under ASIO and under WDM.
What I would do If I was wanting to use both would be to use the FF800 as the main unit and then plug the Babyfaces ADAT and SPDIF I/O into the FF800. This way channels 13-20 (ADAT port 1) on the FF800 become extra analog line and Mic-pres and you can use the left over digital I/O for accessing the Babyface built in effects for recording or for effects send/returns inside you recording program.

Chris

Hi. I have been happily using a FF800 for quite some time, but want to add a mobile component to my rig as well as access some of the in-built effects and features of TotalMix FX in my studio. My budget is tight and I have a line on a reasonably priced babyface.

If I am reading the above post correctly, is there a way - via creating an aggregate device on Mac OSX - to maximize the I/O of the combined units (FF800+babyface) AND utilize the new features of TMFX?  If this were possible, I would be thrilled.

Scanning the documentation online and the forums, I haven’t been able to concretely determine if this is the case. Can anyone help me by providing some clarity? Thx!

Right now I am running the FF800 with an additional 8ch of input via a separate ADAT converter box, with plenty of outboard pres into a Mac.

If you add a Babyface you need to clock both units, so you will loose SPDIF optical In on one of both. And the FX stay with the unit that support them, so only the Babyface delivers 3 Band EQ. Its Echo / Reverb will most probably not work, on the Babyface these are software functions that don't work in multi-device mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

A very good unit is a Audient 8 channel preamp. Get the new ASP880 or the older ASP008 with the optional adat card.

I'm a little sad that I'm just now finding this thread, as it's from 2011, though a few replies from 2017.  Hopefully someone can still help.

Is it still the case that, as a Windows user, I wouldn't be able to use the FF800 and Babyface as "one unit" connected through ADAT?

I have both units, and was hoping I could get some a few extra I/O by adding in my Babyface.  Mostly trying to squeeze out more DA than the FF800 offers by itself.

BUT I'm a Windows user.  Any help here would be awesome.

All analog I/Os of the BF can be used with the FF800 via ADAT. That was not the point of the previous posts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I guess I should've specified that I was referring mostly to ChrisADK's post.  Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding altogether...

I've tried both the FF800 as the main unit, and the Babyface as the main unit, but I can't seem to get either way to work in the same instance of Totalmix.  Nor can I get Pro Tools to recognize my ADAT inputs either.  Didn't know if that was a function of having two RME units with Windows, or if I'm just not using the settings correctly.  As I understood ChrisADK's post, it's not possible in Windows.

Annnnd I think I figured it out.  Feel slightly boneheaded... though to be fair, I can't find an explanation of how to do this very clearly in the manual.  But I'm all set.

16 (edited by ramses 2018-08-22 20:12:58)

jmo2610 wrote:

I guess I should've specified that I was referring mostly to ChrisADK's post.  Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding altogether...

I've tried both the FF800 as the main unit, and the Babyface as the main unit, but I can't seem to get either way to work in the same instance of Totalmix.  Nor can I get Pro Tools to recognize my ADAT inputs either.  Didn't know if that was a function of having two RME units with Windows, or if I'm just not using the settings correctly.  As I understood ChrisADK's post, it's not possible in Windows.

2 different devices run in 2 different instances without routing possibility across the TM instances.

One exception, Octamic XTC can be integrated as so called AUX device into one TM instance.
Like i.e. UFX+ and up to 8 XTC via MADI.
Then you can handle the UFX+ and the 8 XTC (as AUX device) in ONE TM FX instance.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13