Topic: problems with adat connection FF400 and Babyface

Hi everbody,

I need your help. I'm trying to connect a FF400 with a Babyface Pro trough optical ADAT.

The FF400 is the main device connected to my mac. A microphone is in input 1 of the BF. The BF is connected trough adat out in to the FF400 adat in. The ADAT lamp on the FF400 is active, on the babyface I have selected the ADAT output.

The problem is that in totalmix  I dont any signal from the mic.

I noticed that in the macos audio-midi-setup the ADAT inputs are grey, so I cannot move the gain slider. It seems that they are still not activated.

I really don't get it.
Any help is appreciated.
thank you all

Re: problems with adat connection FF400 and Babyface

Is the Babyface Pro connected to the computer on USB, or did you use the external power supply?

Did you route the Mic input to ADAT out in TotalMix for the Babyface?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I tried in different ways. Actually the BF get its  power from an external power supply.
I tried also to use the BF as main device and the FF as ADAT device. Same problem here, I'm not able to see any input gain in the ADAT 1 channel in TotalMix .

Did you route the Mic input to ADAT out in TotalMix for the Babyface?

I will check this later when I'm back in the studio, but I think the routing is right.

nobody can help me?

Now it works but only if all two devices are connected to my laptop. When the slave device, in this case the Babyface, is stand alone no signal passes trough the ADAT output.
I'm forced to connect the BF to my laptop, than it works.

Am I right? Is this the only solution? I thought ADAT works also with standalone devices.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-08-25 10:34:18)

I think you need to keep the BBF connected via USB to the PC so that you can control the routing with TM FX
if the device doesnt provide the proper routing in stand-alone modus (when no USB is connected).

Unlike other RME interface like UCX, UFX II, UFX+, the BBF has no register where you can store routings
and later recall them in standalone modus.
AFAIK there is also no memory which remembers last settings / routings.

A look into the handbook (search for "stand-alone") should make this clear.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13