Topic: Lock audio with Fireface UFX and Octamic

Hi--I recently upgraded from my FF400 and FF800 to the UFX (yes, I'm still years behind)
Is there a consensus on locking the audio? I would prefer to set the UFX as the internal master, can I just hook up the ADAT wire and lock the audio that way? Or do I absolutely need a wordclock cable?

Also, anyone have an opinion as to whether it is better to go analog out from the octamic, or use the octamic converters?
(In which case, I'm pretty sure I won't need to lock the audio....)

Music can change the world.

Re: Lock audio with Fireface UFX and Octamic

Which OctaMic is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Right, sorry--it just says "Octamic" on it and nothing more. There are dip switches on the back, and it has the ADAT option along side the 8 analog outs. It can't be a II version, I'm sure.

The OctaMic has two ADAT outputs beside the digital AES/EBU outputs, these are not 'analog outputs'. You have a WC BNC input to sync the OctaMic to the UFX. The UFX should be master (clock internal). DIP switch settings are explained in the OctaMic manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC. There are eight analog outputs as 8 balanced quarter inch, two ADAT, a combo plug for a snake and the wordclock.

I'm just wondering if I would get better sound from the analog outputs of the octamic combined with the newer converters in the UFX. I can try them both, but I find experience is usually more valuable than tests. Always interested in others opinions.

Try it - I don't think anyone has specifically compared...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME