Topic: 600 ohm headphones

Hi, can the Babyface Pro drive 600 ohm headphones with good quality and soundstage?

Re: 600 ohm headphones

Sure. And whether the volume is enough or not depends on the specific headphone and your volume preferences.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by pitchshift 2018-09-03 03:52:31)

MC wrote:

Sure. And whether the volume is enough or not depends on the specific headphone and your volume preferences.

I dont need a super loud volume, tinnitus is a scary thing.

I do however need great clear sound, flat, good soundstage, no struggle in the sound, to mix properly.

I have read that most USB interfaces can't deal with the 600 ohm headphones and I would need an additional headphone amp so I was worried this was the case too with the Babyface Pro.

The only relevant issue will be volume, not "soundstage" or the like.... And volume also depends on your phones' sensitivity. Just try it out...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

And if you have strong requirements to get excellent sound go ADI-2 Pro

which also could support your ears by slow  ramp up of volume when connecting phones or switching channels.

In areas where you have tinnitus the PEQ could boost the frequencies near the Tinnitus tones a bit as people report to hear bad in that frequency range.

The ADI-2 PRO even supports 5 band PEQ for left and right separately which is good as you might not have same frequencies on both ears.

If you add these medical aspects and the quality plus dynamic loudness then the ADI-2 Pro is worth every Penny.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Someone said that the Babyface Pro will not be enough to drive 600 ohm headphones:

Babyface Pro is not going to do it - and hardly the same money as decent headphone preamp. Not saying Lake People G109-P is the one to get, just one I believe it is a true investment if needing to go for 600 ohm phones. The G103-P is probably more than OK is much better suited than any standard phone outs on audio interfaces. That unit is more like €300 compared to €500 for G109.

Anyone has the specific headphone amp specs on the Babyface Pro?

See manual and usually product Webpage,  but I have doubts that the pure data will tell you the final result how it will sound.
You should better compare the devices side by side.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

pitchshift wrote:

Someone said that the Babyface Pro will not be enough to drive 600 ohm headphones

And I say the BF Pro produces more than enough volume with my good ol' 600 Ohm Beyer DT 880 from the Eighties, and sounds great (of course)... Would not even want to turn the volume all the way up. There is no magic "enough to drive". Either the volume is sufficient for your needs or it isn't. The rest is Hifi Voodoo talk.... :-P

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by mjfe87 2018-09-05 10:09:38)

I suspect it'll be enough but it also depends on the dynamic range of the material you're working with.  For example, if we're mixing pop it's much louder than recording classical, when we need to leave enough headroom across all the input channels.

Higher impedance tends to be improve the sound of headphones (transients) but it's pretty marginal.

Re the ADI-2 Pro and tinnitus, what design steps have RME taken to protect our hearing other than the slow ramp up when plugging in?  What are the chances of the digital volume control failing, particularly in "Extreme Power" mode?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Slow ramp-up also when switching between phones and speaker output when ie using remap key function.

The device has no mixer like Totalmix so where should it flip to zero dB because of wrong mouse click ?

When you have ADI-2 Pro stacked behind a recording interface, then set the digital output towards the ADI-2 Pro to 0dB and then dial-in a proper listening level.

Do this in every snapshot/workspace of TM FX.

Then no issue can arise.

Let me put it this way, it's a matter of self-organization and using the devices in a proper way.