Topic: Plug Eventide H9000 in Babyface Pro possible?

I would like to know if it's possible to use BBFP's SPDIF in/out into H9000's SPDIF in/out? this would give me the sound. I could then use the ethernet cable to control the H9000, so I don't even need to use the midi port on the BBFP anymore, because I think H9000 have a VST now for remote control, so you don't need to resort to good ol CC.

Im not going to be pluging anything else (besides my headphones and monitors). This is for a minimalist laptop setup, a temporal thing.

Some guy here told me it's not possible because BBFP lacks i/o and now im confused. I don't see why?

2 (edited by ramses 2018-09-03 05:48:51)

Re: Plug Eventide H9000 in Babyface Pro possible?

Yes this should be possible.

But then your BBFP is full io wise.

You said that you want to keep the device for a longer time and that you might need to expand i/o wise.See your initial thread.

Your proposal to use an external mixer / patchbay later for this  not so good.

The quality of inputs of not so expensive mixer is not so good and you loose the ability to record multiple audio sources on individual tracks in your DAW and TM FX ability for any to any Routing. This money I would save and better put into the recording interface to have sufficient number of IOs.

To achieve higher quality mixes you should record tracks individually, if possible always the unmodified dry signal and add the effects then later.

Therefore I recommended to take UC or UCX.

PS why you open now for every additional question a thread of its own? It's the third now.

Everything is related to your initial post. Spreading it across multiple threads makes quoting / handling of your purchase question simply more difficult.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by pitchshift 2018-09-03 13:55:48)

Im not going to record anything, I draw midi notes in the note editor/tracker.

Also can't I use ADAT to expand?

I made other threads because the other one was too long and most people don't like to read long threads and get less replies.

If you use the ADAT port for optical SPDIF to connect the eventide then it can only do this. Then no ADAT is there for further digital expansions.

If you need to connect a second device this could be done via line in/out but then there is no port free to connect your speakers.

Simply look at Webpage which IO's the device has and how all would need to be connected.

You could read audio from an external Mixer but only the stereo sum. And you would be missing the possibility to send something to the mixer depending how your signal/work flow will be.

Ok, but here its different. The people that help or might help you in that forum track the forum regulary. So they do not need to read long threads as the just read the new articles coming in and the forum software supports this. And if something is not on their table then they ignore it anyway.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by pitchshift 2018-09-03 20:04:07)

Ok I got confused, I thought there were 4 plugs (2 spdif in out, 2 adat in out) but apparently these can be spdif or adat at the same time??. So yes, I would run out of any expansion if I use the Eventide... tricky situation. The Eventide is a very nice digital, crystal clear unit, I wouldn't want to run it through stuff that could color it.

Unfortunately I cannot afford the more expensive interfaces right now.

6 (edited by ramses 2018-09-03 21:20:23)

That was what I meant since the beginning.

BTW product description clearly says 1x ADAT or SPDIF.

You configure this in the driver settings dialogue whether the ADAT port shall operate in ADAT or SPDIF mode which is simply a different protocol / number of channels via TOSLINK: ADAT 8 / 4 / 2 (depending on the sample rate in use) and SPDIF always 2 channels.

UC and UCX at least have besides the ADAT port an additional coaxial SPDIF port.

Alternatively you can also use the servosymmetric 8 analog lines to connect equipment. RME analogue lines have a very good quality see tech specs.

But again, BBFP doesn't have enough analog outputs as you require 2 more for the speakers.

I recommend using UCX with newer converters, FX chip and Autoset. The UC is also a valid choice.

Better wait and save some money for a good and feasible solution. Don't buy cheap stuff its not worth the money, try to stay with RME. Recommendation from an Ex-Focusrite user.
Better wait and save money.

ramses wrote:

That was what I meant since the beginning.

BTW product description clearly says 1x ADAT or SPDIF.

You configure this in the driver settings dialogue whether the ADAT port shall operate in ADAT or SPDIF mode which is simply a different protocol / number of channels via TOSLINK: ADAT 8 / 4 / 2 (depending on the sample rate in use) and SPDIF always 2 channels.

UC and UCX at least have besides the ADAT port an additional coaxial SPDIF port.

Alternatively you can also use the servosymmetric 8 analog lines to connect equipment. RME analogue lines have a very good quality see tech specs.

But again, BBFP doesn't have enough analog outputs as you require 2 more for the speakers.

I recommend using UCX with newer converters, FX chip and Autoset. The UC is also a valid choice.

Better wait and save some money for a good and feasible solution. Don't buy cheap stuff its not worth the money, try to stay with RME. Recommendation from an Ex-Focusrite user.
Better wait and save money.

I was considering investing in a UCX so I dont have to ever worry about a DAC ever again, since i dont plan in pluging anything besides a h9000 and not much else I guess I would be set for life. However im surprised there are no reviews for it on YouTube. Do you have any good reviews?