Topic: Babyface buzzing with MacBook Pro when not on battery power?

I have owned an original Babyface for 5 years. I dont remember when this issues started and I had a few years off music, so I'm only just dealing with it again now.

When the Babyface is plugged in, and the MacBook Pro has its power cable in, there is a buzzing noise. It's constant, like a ground loop type hum/buzz. It disappears when I unplug the laptops power, or diminishes almost completely if I place my hand on the MacBook case (which is metal).

I've been recording recently and having to do everything on battery power, then charge it up again. It doesn't record the buzz, but its too distracting. This was the same on my old MacBook Pro, and I've tried all the USB ports. I've used it in various countries, various power supplies, some are worse than others. I'm from the UK/

It's really a problem. Is this normal? I never had this with my Fireface UC. But I guess that was because it has a power supply. Is this a common occurrence with USB powered audio interfaces? I would have thought RME wouldn't be ok with it?

Any help really appreciated
Thanks

2 (edited by Babyfaced 2018-09-05 11:27:00)

Re: Babyface buzzing with MacBook Pro when not on battery power?

Check my post about the same issue as yours, made about 30 minutes later! Is the sound sample in my post similar to the sound you are getting?

My feeling is it is some kind of ground loop interference. I am using a desktop though, so do not know what the sound would be like from a laptop.

The Babyface seems to be able to take an AC adapter, where does one purchase one though, as it wasn't included with the interface...

Hi, yeah mine is a similar noise to that. It's definitely a power thing, Im sure it differs on different computers, power supplies etc.

I am talking about the original babyface, not the babyface pro... What about you?

Its really frustrating because its such a good interface, but I cant really unplug power every time I want to use it! Which is what I have been doing

Yes, mine is the original Babyface too.

It would be really nice if someone from RME can help us here? Or anyone else.

I really thought it was to do with me using a laptop

robodelfy wrote:

Come on .. You posted 4+ hours ago ... Do you expect realtime support on a user forum ? Wrong expectation...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
robodelfy wrote:

Come on .. You posted 4+ hours ago ... Do you expect realtime support on a user forum ? Wrong expectation...

Hi Ramses, I didn't mean it like that. I dont mean instantly smile But I think I worded it a bit wrong!

Connect ground to whatever real ground or earth there is available. The buzzing noise comes from the ungrounded switching power supply of the MacBook.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Connect ground to whatever real ground or earth there is available. The buzzing noise comes from the ungrounded switching power supply of the MacBook.

Thanks MC for the quick reply. So this buzzing happens with all MacBooks and the babyface? Is it the same with the Babyface pro?

Sorry I dont know much about electrics, how would you suggest doing connecting it to ground? I am from the UK, I though it was grounded

Sorry for the not questions smile

I am using a grounded 3 pin UK plug also. Can you elaborate, MC, as to how to connect to a real ground, as whatever grounding is there at the moment is insufficient.

Do we have to put a crocodile clip on the laptop and a wire running to a plug!  I hope not smile

If this is the same for all MacBook Pro users, why can I not find that many people complaining about it? There must be so many MacBook users with Babyfaces

MacBook power supplies have no connection from the secondary voltage ground to the third prong of the power supply connector. That's why the whole MacBook is 'floating', typically at 90 V AC here in Europe. Look at the ifi grounding kit to get an idea of what to do:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/groundhog/

Note these are just passive cables to achieve a ground connection via various existing sockets. Usually the problem is fixed automatically, for example when connecting a 3-prong monitor display, or any other earthed devices.

When using a desktop getting such noise it might be that the earth is not connected at the computer, or in the home's electrical cabling. Or the USB power is really that bad, or there is a real ground loop because the BF is connected to something that is also grounded (in addition to the computer via USB).

Added: This is not the same for all MacBook BF users for the above reasons, as everyone has a different setup, connections, and earth in home.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC

Can you look at the link below, its an image of my MacBook plug. You can see the earth on the plug, and also the round metal pin and the metal it connects to which I have circled in red.

I have found others saying that this should be earthed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gAKtH … B-no6MW2cu

I rather not have to buy another special cable to ground it and use both my USB ports just to plug my babyface in and ground it. Especially when it seems that my plug is meant to be grounded, unless I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks for the help

MC wrote:

When using a desktop getting such noise it might be that the earth is not connected at the computer, or in the home's electrical cabling. Or the USB power is really that bad, or there is a real ground loop because the BF is connected to something that is also grounded (in addition to the computer via USB).

In my case, I am using the Babyface inputs to record vinyl from my turntable, which is grounded. Is this the most likely source of the noise? Do I need to lift a ground somewhere, as obviously I can't lift it at the turntable end without significant noise occurring there.

If the three prong adapter causes grounding problems then try the two prong one before going through other hoops.

Timur Born wrote:

If the three prong adapter causes grounding problems then try the two prong one before going through other hoops.

I'm away currently and only have the longer MacBook cable, which is the one that is grounded, and everyone says should fix grounding issues on apple forums.

Maybe I need to wait until I get back in a month to try the other one, but it would seem odd if the ungrounded version got rid of the hum.

17 (edited by Timur Born 2018-09-05 16:57:41)

Running the Macbook on batteries is basically the same "ungrounded version". Macbooks have been less than ideal with their power and grounding in the past and likely still are.

One reason I had Apple exchange several versions of my Macbook Pros between 2009 and 2011 was that grounding the MBP via an externally powered USB device (like a HD or Fireface UC) would lead to a discharge upon connection that could cause ExpressCard/Thunderbolt disruption. That lead to transfer error (aka data corruption), disconnects and even full on freezes of the MBP.

Did you try to power your Babyface via external power-supply yet? This would change the whole MBP grounding similar to how your externally powered UC does.