Topic: ADI 2 PRO or Babyface Pro as a recording interface

Hello,

I'm building a home studio in my bedroom to record an EP. I have a Mac running logic pro. I'm only going to be recording guitars and vocals through a microphone. I haven't bought a microphone yet but I'm leaning towards an sm58. After browsing many forums, I've learnt that RME devices are probably the best I can buy for my money. I've looked at the product line and identified two products that might fit my needs; the ADI 2 Pro and the Babyface pro. I'm going to be using a guitar with active pickups as well as guitar with passive pickups and I'm planning to use HS5 monitors with my setup. Could you guys please recommend which one of these two products would be suitable? If neither fits, could you recommend an alternate product please? I'm new to recording and audio engineering so I'm not sure what would be an ideal setup

Thank you.

Re: ADI 2 PRO or Babyface Pro as a recording interface

And you have a Kemper ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by somebodyoncetoldme 2018-09-29 22:41:58)

I'm currently running the audio straight into my DAW (I'm currently using a focusrite interface I borrowed from a friend) and using the Bias FX vst for my amp modeling. I plan to purchase an Axe FX sometime in the near future

ADI-2 Pro is a DAC / converter, not a recording interface that usually comes with mixer software like TotalMix.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by somebodyoncetoldme 2018-09-29 22:48:26)

Could you explain a bit more please? From what I understand, the interface is basically a piece of hardware that has both A/D and D/A components so that you can record analog instruments. Currently, I just have my guitar plugged into the focusrite and the focusrite plugged into my laptop. There is no mixer software that I'm using with it. Is my understanding flawed?

The ADI-2 Pro is a high quality AD and DA converter with line inputs. You need hi-z (instrument) and microphone inputs, the Babyface Pro offers that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your explanation. If I understand correctly, the babyface has high z inputs that can handle an instrument but the adi has line level inputs. I get the use case for the babyface but what would be an applicable use case for the adi?

8 (edited by ramses 2018-09-30 20:55:50)

Its an USB DAC, Phones Preamp, Multiformat AD/DA converter.
Use cases are described in the handbook, on the product webpage.