Topic: Win10 1809 Upgrade woes ...

1. Boot Menue becomes deactivated .. again a job for easyBCD
2. WIn7 Gadgets become deactivated .. need to install Classic Shell again or similar tool, forgot which I lately installed *sigh*, wasn't classic shall not being maintained anymore.

Microsoft is so ignorant regarding other peoples administration work and time.

I am pretty sure that I have also to recreate my privacy settings, more to this later ...

All I want to tell folks .. don't forget a backup and maybe do a screenshot of your installed programms,
shall Microsoft deactivate this or that ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: Win10 1809 Upgrade woes ...

Macrium Reflect Restore including Boot time was a matter of 5-6 Minutes, back at normal.
Now I will prepare the Win10 upgrade installation more carefully and look which programs/tools I deployed exactly.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

https://8gadgetpack.net/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes indeed that it was, many thanks Matthias.
I just printed the screenshot from Programs and Features.
Whats again really funny now with Microsoft, they appearently counted my upgrade attempt as being done.
Now I do not get the upgrade anymore (I know they upgrade in waves to reduce load, but this is real crap again).

Just upgrading some applications and tools from my just restored Win10 1803 golden image and awaiting to get from them again the right to upgrade *pfft*

It seems that my initial settings to delay Windows upgrades have been restored together with my
restore of Win10 1803 "golden image".
After removing this delay with 0010shutup the upgrade is being loaded again.
So this was false alarm and the system is now upgrading...

6 (edited by ramses 2018-10-04 06:29:41)

The upgrade went very long, its as over 1h at 75% and then it ran unattended the night through.
This time bootmenue has not been wiped out,
Windows Gadgets with previous settings easily restored by reinstalling the program.
Big Windows warning to install this 3rd party installation.
Not sure, maybe because this is a .msi installation ?!
Maybe from M$ on this "blacklist" to reintroduce Gadgets ? ("Beware, customer restores great Win7 features" ?!)

7 (edited by engineXStudios 2019-01-08 22:22:32)

I have a similar problem with the final release of 1809 - I use  a Fireface UFX. My issue is slightly different. Basically, I can use the DAW normally (Studio One 4.0 for me) once per boot. If I keep the DAW loaded, I can continue to use it. But if I close the DAW, I can not do any audio processing again until I reboot.

When it craps out, the behavior is that if I engage playback, the playhead moves, the UI updates - but no sound is produced. The CPU usage meter shows 100% intermittently. If I then stop playback, I'll get a second or so of audio. The UI also can become "sticky" - menus don't respond - almost like Windows messages being queued up.

I am considering reverting to 1803, which worked great. Also keep in mind - I'm writing in January 2019, so this is after the primary 1809 debacle in the fall of 2018.

Suffice it to say that Microsoft Windows 10 has become an epic clown car operation. I don't know why they need to change major kernel level I/O, or management of it, but it sure is annoying. I blew about 24 hours this past weekend white box testing, reinstalling, you name it.

This can have many reasons. From personal experience: using a Samsung 950 Pro SSD requires to use Samsumgs v 2.0 NVME driver (not older not newer), or you will see stuff like you experience (hard drive access triggering it). After a Windows update this driver might be changed. I meanwhile got rid of that SSD and now use the WD Black, which runs perfectly with Windows own NVME driver.

These days you have to know your hardware in and out or you will not be able to use it optimally. Sad.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME