Topic: Talkback with built-in microphone (Mac)

I wonder how I can use the Mac's built-in microphone as talkback with Totalmix. As far as I can see it Totalmix does not allow me to select any other source as microphone for talkback than an RME interface; if that's right, then the only option I had would be using a third-party Mac application to route the built-in microphone via software to one of the RME audio output channels, is that correct?

The setup is:

3x Octamic XTC (in concert hall) ---(MADI LWL)--> Madiface USB (control room) ---(USB)---> MacBook Pro

Last resort would be a veeery long mic cable from the concert hall to the control room and a dedicated external mic for talkback, but I hope there is a more elegant way. smile

Re: Talkback with built-in microphone (Mac)

I'm not familiar with Mac or Core Audio, but if you can select "monitor this device" or "Listen to this microphone" in your Audio Settings (like you can in Windows to hear yourself - with a little latency), you might be able to do that, and see if it shows up as a TM Software playback channel for your default system audio channel.  Then route that playback channel to an unused output in TM, and then use loopback as you are planning on doing...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Unfortunately the macOS preferences do not support that:

https://pasteboard.co/HGVwMCX.jpg

There are only 3 controls available & enabled: 1. Mic Sample Rate, 2. Mic volume level, 3. Mute checkbox

Apple is known for reducing user settings to the bare minimum as much as possible.

This feature would be great !
Actually the only possibility is to connect the Mac output to any RME interface input and to use this input as Talkback. But you need to use an app (like QuickTime) to put the Apple mic always on. It's not very simple nor elegant but it helps you to have a clean setup without additional mic and cable on your (mixing) desk.
I hope RME will add this feature like other manufacturers actually do.

Bertrand Allaume