Topic: DigiFace USB asynchronous operation

Hi people,

I am not a musician or studio expert so please forgive me if it turns out the below is dead simple :-)

The manual of Digiface USB (as well as other USB enabled RME products) states under Windows operation the following, which does not show under the Mac OS section:

Another common source of trouble is incorrect synchronization. ASIO does not support asynchronous operation, which means that the input and output signals not only have to use the same sample frequency, but also have to be in sync. All devices connected to the Digiface USB must be properly configured for Full Duplex operation. As long as SyncCheck (in the Settings dialog) only displays Lock instead of Sync, the devices have not been set up properly!

I am correct in assuming that if connected to a Mac OS device, sample rates on input and output do not need to be equal? I did not find anything relevant about asynchronous operation with Core Audio in this regard.

(I plan to buy a Digiface only to route the output of digital devices (Phono AD / CD player / DAB radio) to the Mac OS machine for SRC and convolution before outputting again through the Digiface USB).

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: DigiFace USB asynchronous operation

Any hardware needs identical input and output sample rate, unless it has sample rate converters at its inputs. This is not about Windows or Mac.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: DigiFace USB asynchronous operation

MC wrote:

Any hardware needs identical input and output sample rate, unless it has sample rate converters at its inputs. This is not about Windows or Mac.

Good day,

Just learned something :-)

Thank you very much Sir!