Topic: RME UFX AD/DA settings and what am I missing mono/stereo levels

Hi there,

I was playing around with the AD/DA settings on my UFX yesterday. I played a 440Hz test tone from a stereo channel in Cubase and set it so that in Cubase, the level was at -15dBFS. I sent this stereo output from Cubase to a stereo output on the UFX (set to Hi Gain, 15 dB of headroom above +4dBU) and ran it through the line in on two Shelford Channels with the gain on these set to 0dB. The output in TotalMix showed -15dBFS as expected. The VU meters on the Shelford channels both showed 0VU as expected, since this would equate to +4dBU which in turn would be -15dBFS based on how things were set in Cubase and on the UFX.

However, if I set up a mono channel in Cubase and set a tone generator to -15dBFS in Cubase and send its output to a single channel on the UFX, the output on the UFX in TotalMix showed a ~2dB hotter level at -13.1dBU. I am trying to wrap my head around this, and at first I was wondering if it was a pan law issue, but given that I was using a mono Cubase channel sent to a single UFX channel, that would not seem to be related.

Can anyone help me understand why this would be?

Thanks!

Re: RME UFX AD/DA settings and what am I missing mono/stereo levels

Mono channels in TM FX do have a pan pot...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: RME UFX AD/DA settings and what am I missing mono/stereo levels

There is no pan pot as I am using a single channel output. I just did another test, however, and this time all the levels matched. Not sure what was going on yesterday, but I am seeing what I expected to see now.