Topic: overdubbing with BabyFace Pro USB and playing back to desk speakers

Hi, I'm a new user to Babyface Pro. Currently I can only hear the playback if I keep my headphones on, that I used to record/overdub. I'd like to hear the music played back on my laptop speakers, using the laptops existing headphone output (after I just recorded it), so I can take off my headphones and hear it more simply. I record bass guitar, I take my headphones off and I'd like to instantly have Samplitude playback the tracks to my desk laptop speakers. I'm making basic music and I'm concerned with being in tune and capturing a groove, instead of hi-fi monitoring. Having a setup like this would allow me to easily make, hear and evaluate my recordings. Is this possible?
My alternative is to buy a 1/4 headphones and then plug the laptop speakers into the BabyFace 1/8 headphone output. This will be using both headphone outputs to monitor my music. I would prefer to not always have my babyface plugged into the USB, for example, when I am surfing the internet and playing youtube.

details: Or do I need to click and change these driver settings in Samplitude each time I'm ready to playback?
A. Samplitude Driver system has these choices:
ASIO Fireface USB - this is what I use when using my laptop to record.
Magix Low Latency
WDM - this is what I use when I don't have my babyface plugged in.
MME

B. Sampltidue has a Monitoring options in the System Setup:
1. Tape monitoring (default)
2. Manual monitoring (changing between these seems to change nothing)

Thank you
Mike

Re: overdubbing with BabyFace Pro USB and playing back to desk speakers

Best practise is not to use the Windows Sound system and to use the ASIO driver.
A DAW can only work with one Audio Driver at a time, so you best use your RME ASIO driver.
Once you do this, you can work only with the input and output channels of your recording interface.
I can't recommend solutions like ASIO4ALL which might make this possible. Its not a real ASIO driver.
Its more an umbrella driver and adds an additional layer over ASIO and non-ASIO drivers to combine them
and then mimicries as one ASIO driver (for all others) towards the application layer.
But .. this can also cause issues of its own.
If you want stability best practice is to get rid of such solution and to work only with the ASIO driver of your RME recording interface. You can also get small inexpensive monitors for your babyface which are surely better than laptop speakers.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Ochimento 2018-10-10 20:17:20)

Re: overdubbing with BabyFace Pro USB and playing back to desk speakers

cool. thanks for the input. I found an adapter for my desk speakers to plug into the larger headphones out, so I am satisfied. I use both headphone outs, which is one of main reason I bought the RME.