Topic: RME UFX+ Questions

First of all, just wanted to say:

I've read the manual. I've googled these questions. I've searched reddit. I've searched these forums.

Apologies if these have been answered in some other thread. I seriously have exhausted all my googling abilities to answer these!

Anyway,

The UFX+ has caught my eye, as I think it meets all my use cases, but I want to confirm before diving in.

As an audio interface. I think this is a given. I use a DAW on Win10 and own a Kemper amp. I think the UFX would fit in with it like peanut butter 'n jelly (but correct me if I'm missing anything).

As a mixer. I do this thing where I run two guitars and an electronic drum set (2x 1/4 TRS lines) together and run the output to 3 sets of headphones, for a 'silent' jam session. As I understand it, the UFX can run in standalone mode, and I can mix the inputs and send them to 3 separate outputs for this purpose (am I correct?). One thing I'm uncertain of is: will I need some kind of headphone amplifier for said outputs, assuming this works.

Lastly, I had a question about the iPad integration. Does TotalMix standalone as well, or do you need a computer powered on and connected to the UFX to use it. I saw a video on youtube of a UFX at some conference, and the presenter appeared to be using the iPad with the UFX without any computer around, but I could be wrong. Curious as to how that works (couldn't find anything confirming it in the manual).

Re: RME UFX+ Questions

You have two headphone outputs on the UFX, so for the third phone you will need an amplifier.

For the iPad a special 'TotalMix FX for iPad' app can be bought that allows full desktop-style operation, controlled via the iPad. See Apple App store.

In Stand-Alone mode you can store and load setups made connected to the desktop, and also adjust anything via the display.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The UFX+ is very versatile, you will definitively like it

Many advantages over the old flagship interface UFX and excellent RTT, whats important for you when playing with an electtronic drum set, see excel in the my log article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

It can also be used with get better amps sound by creating a parallel effect loop, here i.e. for a setup with a Marshall combo, which only has a serial effect loop:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … arren-Rig/

By MADI you can expand it and remote control i.e. one or more Octamic XTC as so called AUX device.
MIDI over MADI makes additional MIDI cabling between RME devices unnecessary.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

With a decent system you reach an incredible performance and stability even when using a lot of tracks in your project, which is comparable / on par with PCIe based interfaces like the RayDAT:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

As devices can influence each other on the USB bus (from chipset) it might be also the case for your system, that it would be even better to isolate the UFX+ behind a dedicated USB3 card. I made very good experience by using a Sonnet USB3 card with the FL1100 chipset on it. As i connected 2 UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro I choosed the more expensive card which has a dedicated USB3 controller for each of the 4 USB3 ports. Thus the card requires a PCIe x4 socket.
There is also a more inexpensive variant of the card available, which shares one USB3 controller across the 4 ports.
The card uses a more advanced interrupt handling methodology, which is called MSI (message shared interrupts).
You can recognize those drivers with "negative" numbers for IRQs.
For Win7 you can use the excellent driver, for Win10 the card is recognized automatically without the need for an additional driver.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 3pcie.html (4 x FL1100 chip, requires x4 PCIe socket)
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html (1 x FD1100 chip, requires x1 PCIe socket)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Shall you have a little bit of spare money you could consider to add the ADI-2 Pro into the setup.

By this you get a fantastic D/A quality for 2 Phones and 1 Nearfield Monitor
and get in total 4 phones outputs (2 on ADI-2 Pro and 2 on UFX+).

By cool features like remap key you get an excellent control over phones and speaker.
Slow ramp-up of volume when changing between speakers and phones
Dynamic Loudness is so extremely useful. On lower listening levels you don't loose the "sound".
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Some use cases of the ADI-2 Pro, best is IMHO the integration into a setup / in conjunction with another RME interface like the UFX+ which has TotalMix FX which you need to get the flexibility of creating flexible and low latency submixes for phones, monitors, etc  which I described in the article above: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ramses 2018-10-11 06:52:51)

Finally you also have the option like me, to connect studio and HiFi world at home and bring reference grade conversion quality for both as I described in this blog article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … her-EN-DE/

UFX+ is the heart of your studio
ADI-2 Pro enhances D/A quality in the studio or recording corner

Then you have from your UFX+ i.e. a TOSLINK cable to an ADI-2 DAC in front of your HiFi.
There the ADI-2 DAC is the heart of reference grade D/A conversion for several devices.
With a TOSLINK switcher (incl. a remote control) you can select between 4 digital sources
and feed it to the ADI-2 DAC. And from there analog into your HiFi or High-End Amp.
The ADI-2 DAC offers also a nice remote control.
The dynamic loudness feature is also very nice for your hifi if you need to listen at lower volumes.
For TV, BluRay Player, Audio coming from UFX+ .. and 1 channel free, you get the idea ....

I ripped all my CDs, so my PC is audio player.
With MusicBee you get an excellent handling.
There is a plugin, that you can do title selection via Android Tablet or Smartphone (MusicBee remote).
MusicBee can also write a replay-gain tag to the FLAC header, so that all your music has about the same volume.
In combination with the Dynamic Loudness Feature of the ADI-2 DAC -> excellent listening experience.

MusicBee can also convert your lossless music - based on i.e. playlists - to MP3 320, shall your HiFi in the car not support lossless audio format.

Last but not least you can also transfer lossless music with MusicBee to your smartphone, so that you can carry your lossless music with you and to listen to it whenever you want, to feed it to Bluetooth players or to a Plantronic stereo headset which you normally use for phone conferences, so its possible to isolate yourself a bit, when working in large rooms.

So .. this is all a chain of featurs, what you can do, to enrich your audio experience not only in the studio but also in your daily life and also for your beloved HiFi, if you have a "merged" room (studio / living room), or such rooms close to each other like it is the case for me.

Everything does not need to build up in one sweep. But as you see, with the UFX+ you get a very flexible device and RME offer still some more devices, which can enhance your listening experience a lot in the studio and also for your HiFi.

Ty for the detailed responses (both of you)!

MC - when you say "adjust anything via the display", do you mean the UFX display, or an iPad display?

Basically my question is: can I use the iPad app in standalone mode? Ty!

In stand-alone mode you have no iPad. That would be CC (Class Compliant) mode then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In stand-alone mode you have no iPad. That would be CC (Class Compliant) mode then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

First a little bit history, then some experience/hints and finally a question:

History
I'm using RME for more than 8 years with Micstasy as stageboxes, connected over MADI to a MADIface, which uses an ExpressCard/34 sitting in a MBP17 for mobile recording. In the studio, the ExpressCard is sitting in a Supermicro dual Xeon workstation, connected over MADI to ADI-648 to connect to external HW-reverbs, speakers etc. Both solutions are running rock solid with WinXP on the MBP and Win7 x64 on the Supermicro to serve my Pyramix DAW. Last year I also started with Pro Tools native. The actual workflow is: recording and editing with Pyramix, mixing with Pro Tools, (CD-) mastering again with Pyramix. Just as a little test: it's possible to run both DAWs at the same time under RME ASIO, sharing the same plug-in licenses without problems! The only issue is that Pro Tools is supporting only 32 input channels, which means that half of the 64 MADI channels cannot be used with MADIface.

Some time ago, I added an UFX+, mainly to be prepared for actual notebook interfaces, since ExpressCard is no more available and also to get a mechanically more robust connection. It was always a bit dangerous to eject the card by mistake. If that would happen, a complete reboot would be needed. Not very useful for live recording situations! Another reason was headphone monitoring and also USB direct backup recording, which is an important feature of UFX+. Since I still had no new notebook, I was remote controlling the UFX+ with an iPad or using it standalone. For a long time, I was evaluating a new notebook. Apple was out, because of glossy screen, Thunderbolt only connectivity and other really good things missing like the magnetic power connector and so on. This year the 8th generation of i7 came out with the zBooks of HP. So I decided for a zBook Studio G5 with USB3 and Thunderbolt connectivity (and non-glaring UHD display of course).

Experience/Hints with UFX+ and zBook Studio G5
First I tried the Thunderbolt connection to the UFX+, using an Apple cable to convert from TB3 to TB2. It was working, but I had clicks in the audio from time to time. After some time of intensive failure searching, I found the problem: HP is providing several security applications and one of them, HP sure run, was needed to be stopped. Clicks had gone, but I was still missing the rock solid behavior of the MADIface. For example, if WiFi was set to flight mode (which would make perfectly sense during recording), the UFX+ became heavily disturbed! It seems, HP (or Intel) has a problem here. Also an external Thunderbolt docking station of HP observed a lot of problems. That was the reason to try out the USB3 connection of the UFX+. A brand new, medium priced USB3-cable of 3m length didn't work. But the original cable of RME was working without problems. And the good news: no clicks, stable operation even if WiFi is switched on/off and very quick startup time, when the USB cable is connected to the notebook. The only drawback is that the USB connector needs to be pulled out and reinserted after booting of the notebook. Maybe that's related to the ARC remote control, which is also connected by USB to the UFX+.

However, I would only use TB connection with that notebook, if very low latency is required. In that case TB seems a little bit advantageous related to USB3. But in any other case, I propose to use the USB3 for better stability. Not what I was expecting first.

Question
And now to a problem for users of Pro Tools native with UFX+. Since Pro Tools is strictly counting ASIO input channels, only 2 of 64 MADI channels can be used. Why? The ASIO driver of RME is using channel 1 to 30 for analog, ADAT and AES inputs before MADI is counting up. PT native is limited to 32 channels. I tried to re-route the channel order in Pro Tools I/O setup, but it didn't help: PT is strictly on ASIO channel order and just allows the first 32 ASIO inputs getting thru. Very annoying! MADI is completely useless with PT native and UFX+! And even worse, there is no license available from AVID, which would allow more channels with 3rd party interfaces! And to be very clear: it's not a performance problem. Pyramix is working smoothly with all 94 channels!

Therefore my question: it would be very helpful, if the ASIO cannel order could be configured by RME users, what do you think?

All the best

Hi

sorry to hear that you had these issues with your new laptop.
Maybe you should have bought a turnkey system for audio so that all these issues wouldn't have happened.
Based on my experience I can tell you that running USB3 based on a desktop simply works very nicely.
Even such big amount of tracks and VSTs. 400 tracks, 2 VSTs/track (800 in total) and playback of this project is possiblt at 44.1 and 96 kHz without audio loss (UFX+, 32 samples ASIO buffer): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/
What I want to say by that .. USB3 can run rock solit, there is no strong demand to use thunderbolt.
In my case I could further optimize things (to be able to run two (!) UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro) by using an add-on USB3 card from Sonnet with 4xFL1100 USB3 chip on the card, which means full USB3 power for each of the 4 ports.
The drivers of the card use drivers with MSI (message signalled interrupts) which works more efficient esp. under load, as it reduces the interrupt load by the way MSI works.

Not sure whether RME can reverse the order of channels in the driver, I remember such a request here on forum, but cant remember whether the status/outcome.

A change of DAW is not possible ? I know I know, lot of work, training, etc ...

Yes I agree, USB3 can obviously be very stable. I was not expecting that because there is a note in the manual, which is the other way round.

It's not a problem to use another DAW (I'm still using Pyramix, BTW since 1997), but it would be nice if the PT license could be used.

All the best