Topic: Mixer outputs to Baby face pro mic/line inputs

Hi. I have just brought a mixer that id like to connect to the babyface pro. I have read that that this can be connected through the xlr inputs as it is also a line input. i will be connecting the balanced master outs from the mixer to this. There are no unbalanced outputs on the mixer as i would use the line ins on the babayface. The mixer has USB capabilities but  i like the Babyface converters better. Im considering buying a box that converts balanced signal to unbalance but hope i dont have to. Would appreciate some thoughts. thanks smile

2 (edited by ramses 2018-10-18 05:32:35)

Re: Mixer outputs to Baby face pro mic/line inputs

See Handbook chapter 5, p. 8

The Babyface Pro has two analog microphone inputs that can operate as line inputs with levels
up to +19 dBu, when set to 0 dB gain and PAD active. The electronic input stage uses a
servo balanced design which handles unbalanced and balanced signals correctly, automatically
adjusting the level reference.

When using unbalanced cables with the XLR inputs pin 3 of the XLR jack should be connected
to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of
the balanced input.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

hay mate. thanks heaps, i couldnt find my handbook and was unsure where to look on the online manul. Cheers heaps!

4 (edited by ramses 2018-10-18 05:51:28)

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/ma … %270x27%3B

And on each product page there is a handbook link on the left hand side.

Its always the latest handbook and with Adobe Reader it is very easy to read it in different output formats.
1 page, 2 page full screens, 2 page scrolling, etc...

The handbooks have a clear structure. Look into the index. It took me perhaps 2-3 min to find this info for you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I am not sure I can ask this here, but my question is related to the original, so please forgive me if I am wrong.

Is it possible to set the XLR inputs as line level in standalone mode? I know I can set level by selecting In 1/2 and pressing MIX B, but is it possible to control mic gain and toggle PAD this way?

I am using the Babyface Pro as a AD converter, coming from a summing mixer/compressor and going back to UFX via ADAT out (to print). Also, I am monitoring through babyface XLR outs. I am doing that so I can use the 8 line outs in UFX to go to the dangerous box...

is this makes any sense?

Cheers!

> Is it possible to set the XLR inputs as line level in standalone mode?

No. You have to set Pad or No Pad in USB mode, then pulll the USB plug. The current PAD state stays and is remembered for stand-alone mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I think that's good enough!