Topic: Input gain is 0 and I still get signal on my input

I am using a fire face UC mac.
Total mix FX 1.52
Logic Pro 10.3.3
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

The system has been working fine and has had no issues.

Today while recording. My input gain was 0 and I was still getting a signal into my DAW.

The moment I touch the gain knob and keep it to as low as 10.0, my audio started distorting.

I changed cables and even microphones and even tried both the inputs.
The issue is the same.
While the distorting is temperamental. I still get a strong enough signal even when the input is set to 0

I tried reinstalling the total mix and it wouldn’t help.

What could be the problem?

The system has been working rock solid for a while before this is happening.

Re: Input gain is 0 and I still get signal on my input

Gain is preamplification. 0 means signal passes through without change. This is not a fader, you can not mute incoming signal with it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Input signals (TM FX: HW Inputs) are always passed unchanged to the application (DAW..).

The faders and mute buttons of TM FX HW inputs are only influencing your submix (i.e. for phones submix).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Yes gain is preamplification.

The main problem is the distortion.I guess I kinda figured out why it’s happening.

So in logic on the channel i was recording. The input gain was set to 9.

So the level was getting amplified by logic and hence distorting.

Even when I am opening a fresh session in logic the value seems to be 9 of the input gain until I turn it down to 0

When I open the audio midi setup on my Mac. There is a value of 9db which shows up.

How do I reset this?

By using the slider there to set it to 0. But on my Mac I don't see that 9 or any other amplification with a UC via Audio MIDI Setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, MC

On my settings when the slider is set to 0 i can see 9 in the db column.

What could be the reason for this?

I suspect this could be the reason why the input gain on logic is showing 9....

puneetsam wrote:

Thanks, MC

On my settings when the slider is set to 0 i can see 9 in the db column.

What could be the reason for this?

I suspect this could be the reason why the input gain on logic is showing 9....

When you say 9 you mean +9 dBu what you see in the meter section of the faders or the fader positions or what exactly in Logic ? Could you kindly provide a screenshot to make clear what you refer to exactly. I personally have not a clear picture what you exactly mean.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Okay here are screenshots from my other computer. On this computer, i am using a RME babyface.

This comp has a similar issue. Insted of (9db input gain this shows 6db input gain)

On the logic screenshot, you will see 6db input gain as the value. (extreme fader on the left)

On the audio midi screenshot, you will find that my fader is set to 0 but it shows be a value of 6db besides it.

I am trying to figure out the relation between this.

Hope this helps me explain better.

Screenshot uploads - https://www.sendspace.com/file/y5zwoe