Topic: Fireface UFX II with M-32 DA

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a second hand M-32 DA with the idea of adding more analog inputs for my gear.  I failed to realize that the UFX II doesn't have MADI.  Is there any way of getting these two to work together or was this a wasted purchase?

Thank you!

2 (edited by ramses 2018-10-11 20:37:37)

Re: Fireface UFX II with M-32 DA

The M-32 DA has also 4 ADAT inputs ...

So you can use ADAT 1 and 2 out on the UFX II .. so in TOTAL
- 16 channels @44.1/48
- 8 channels @88.2/96

Or sell UFX II, get UFX+

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I've been playing around with this for a few days but I can't get any of the analog gear input in through the M-32 DA. 

I have ADAT 1/2 OUT from the UFX II into ADAT 1/2 IN on the M-32 DA.  The clock is set to WCK going OUT from M-32 DA to IN on the UFX II.  ADAT sync is 1/2, and state is set to QS. 

The synth's OUTPUT is going into M-32 DA channels 1 and 2 but there's no activity in TotalMix on any of the meters.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Arnej wrote:

I've been playing around with this for a few days but I can't get any of the analog gear input in through the M-32 DA.

No wonder. this is a DA converter, not an AD converter.

Arnej wrote:

I have ADAT 1/2 OUT from the UFX II into ADAT 1/2 IN on the M-32 DA.  The clock is set to WCK going OUT from M-32 DA to IN on the UFX II

Remove that cable. Set the UFX II to internal clock.

Arnej wrote:

ADAT sync is 1/2, and state is set to QS.

You work at 192 kHz?

Arnej wrote:

The synth's OUTPUT is going into M-32 DA channels 1 and 2 but there's no activity in TotalMix on any of the meters.

TotalMix shows the send signal, not the analog out of the M-32. So you did not send any sound to the M-32...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Arnej 2018-10-19 13:31:20)

Hi MC,

I  purchased this off Eay without noticing it's DA and not AD, but Ramses in the reply above mentioned I can use ADAT 1/2 out from the UFX II to M-32 DA in to at least get 16 channels, is this possible at all considering the DA only has analog outputs and not inputs?

Sorry, when you asked you didn't tell anything about a required communication direction, whether you need DA or AD.
I only wanted to be supportive in terms of how devices could be connected via ADAT, but nothing more.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No worries! The fault was completely mine in buying the wrong product to begin with, but I do appreciate your help smile

What is actually the right product for UFXll to expand it with additional O/I's ..?

9 (edited by ramses 2018-10-20 04:56:39)

Gandra wrote:

What is actually the right product for UFXll to expand it with additional O/I's ..?

Sorry, but you ask very general by only saying "O/I's".
There are several possibilities which depend on your demand (and budget).

So to find the "right" product you need to detail your demand first.

1. What type of ports do you need as inputs and outputs (Mics, Instr, analog or digital inputs and/or outputs) ?
2. The amount of inputs and outputs at what sample rate