1 (edited by matiasgodoy399 2018-10-22 21:06:28)

Topic: Guitars DI clipping with +4dBU and 0 gain

Hello there!

I´ve just purchased a Babyface Pro, and when I sat to try it I couldn´t get away with my guitars, I have two and both of them clips with minimum gain on inputs. Is this normal? Is there any PAD function so I can record DI signals without clipping? It´s quite frustrating for me as this is what I bought it for, didn´t expect to have this issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: As I was requested: I´ve tried a Les Paul with SD SH-6 bridge and a Schecter with a Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 strings pickup.

Re: Guitars DI clipping with +4dBU and 0 gain

Would have been very informative to know what guitars you have and with which pickups they are equipped.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Would have been very informative to know what guitars you have and with which pickups they are equipped.

Sorry! I edited my post

Pickups seem to have high output, maybe simply too high.

Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7:
Bridge DC Resistance: 14.7 kΩ Magnet: Ceramic
Neck DC Resistance: 11.5 kΩ Magnet: Alnico 5

Duncan Distortion - bridge SH-6b
DCR:16.6
Magnet:Ceramic

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks ramses! But then, what would be a solution for this? Shame it has so little headroom!

Maybe a D/I box that can handle this better.

BTW, why I came to this opinion: one of the two pickups has sound files at Thomann shop.
The soundclicp sounded unusual distorted on a clean amp.
This leads me to the conclusion, that these PUs seem to be "extra heavy" for this metal genre.

Other potential options:
- to use another guitar with more normal PUs and to shape the tone shall you play VSTi's in your DAW
- to use a loadbox like Torpedo Captor and the corresponding IR software for several cabinett types
- to use a loadbox like this guy here in the video and a special IR software
  X-LOAD LB-2 and IR's from OwnHammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQ-IBYcn1Y
- also interesting this video comparing Torpedo Captor vs Suhr Reactive Load
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flTEt8favu0

Thanks ramses. I'll try a DI box. I would love to have the budget fot the other options but I certaonly don't. What seems surprising is that my previous presonus interface never had a problem regarding this, and what seemed to be a great upgrade started with the wrong foot imo. Well I hope this babyface change my mind in the future.

Thx again pal!

Maybe RME has an idea. This was only from end user perspective and that I never had issues with instr inputs on UFX and UFX+ with a Les Paul, but there the normal '57 PAFs.