Topic: Fireface 800 vs UFX

Hi,

I need your advice and some info, the situation is this..
I dont have so much $ to spend right now, so im looking for a used RME Fireface 800!
I think i will use it (FF800) as a Master interface and later i will buy a used UFX mk1 or ADI 8DS to get more analog inputs and ADAT options and use it as a slave in standalone mode..
so the questions are:

1. The very first time i will turn the UFX on and use it, i need to connect it to the PC with USB/Firewire, install all software, drivers, then i can configure all the different settings, i need a flash USB stick where it will save my configurations which i can later recall from the usb in front of the interfaces panel, right? After that i dont need the USB/FW connection to the computer and can use it (UFX) as standalone converter and my settings i need will be in the USB FLASH even after powering the PC and UFX down..!?
2. But after i get the UFX, if i then will use the UFX as master (and i think i will, its better and newer) and FF800 as slave (standalone converter), the Fireface800 will need the connection to the PC and software every time when its powered on to get the configurations and to authorize itself so to say, right?
3. And hows with the ADI 8 DS? Does it need a connection to the computer when later turned off and on again? It doesnt right? Every time i start it it will remeber the old parameter,s and if i need to change something i can do it just from the front panel, right?
4. If i buy the used older models, how do you think, would it be wise to bring them just in case for a maintainance check? For example PSU's may get old with the time and some other components too.. Whats the time after which it is advised to check these interfaces by RME people just in case!? And what should i look for buying a used one? Are there some model-specific problems some times? The FF800's will be at least 10years old..im a little afraid to get a bad old one..
5. Does RME have a official service center or distributor here in Latvija in Europe? Lettland..?
6. If i use UFX and FF800 together, say all channels i can, analog and ADAT's on both devices 44.1khz to 192khz, it doesnt matter, it will differ time to time..Will the USB 2.0 or firewire connection be enough to deliver everything to the PC? The standart situaton is: one Firewire or usb connection for one device, but if both UFX and FF800 both go through one Firewire or USB connection through the MASTER device which is connected to the PC? Should i be worried about something? The fastest and serious devices are sitting always on a PCI-E lines on the PC's motherboard..Does RME have a solution for this? a PCI-E card to which i can connect the both UFX and FF800 for less latencies and such things? I suppose u understand what i mean..sory for my language! smile I use many many synths with midi, some outboard gear, 24channel analog mixer and i deffinetly know that most of these channels will be used to record in live, i make music in live, so everythings should arrive in time, midi and audio..Should i think about PCI-Express and the bandwidth stuff or it wont be a problem if using both UFX and FF800 together through UFX connection to the PC?
7. My old emu 1616m doesnt have world clock BNC connectors, if i use it together with FF800 till i get the UFX, can i configure the clock through SPDIF or ADAT? are there some other options? A external clock machine is one way, but are there other ways? If configuring clock through ADAT, lets say RME has 2ADAT ins and outs, RME has only 1 ADAT in/out and if i u use ADAT for clock sync, it will use all the channels sitting on the 1 ADAT connection right? 1 ADAT -in can give me / transfer 4stereo (8mono) signals, but if im using this same ADAT -in for clock sync, it wont be usuable for anything else right?

Sorry for my language, i hope i could explain myself good enough smile

Re: Fireface 800 vs UFX

to 1) I would connect the UFX via USB, because flashing is only supported via USB
The USB connector in the front is only for DURec.
The UFX has 6 configuration profiles where you can store the config/routing of the device.
You can store/recall settings either in standalone mode on the UFX itself or via TM FX.

to 2) look at the handbook in terms of standalone operation. if I remember its possible to either store config
or that the device remembers last setup, look at the FF800 handbook, I know its documented there but forgot details.
So I am pretty sure that you do not need the FF800 instantly connected to the PC.
But you could by opening for it a 2nd TM FX instance to be able to operate both.

to 3) pls look at the handbook, the ADI-8 QS for example restores the last settings after power-cycle.

to 4) however you want to handle this ... its your choice. Depends on how important the devices are for your business.

to 5) dont know, is there nothing listed in terms of partners on the webpage under service ?!

to 6) the device/driver will support the amount of channels that the recording interface supports.
It doesnt matter what you chain or not behind i.e. the UFX.
Its still a 30 channel (IN and OUT) interface.
But keep in mind that the amount of channels, that you can transfer through ADAT will decrease with 88.2/192kHz.
From 8 to 4 -> 2 channels because of the multiplexing required via ADAT.

to 7) easiest is if your devices can receive clock via digital IN channel, if they do not support Word Clock.
You need to check this for those devices whether they can be configured to receive the clock from there.
RME can transfer Clock information via WC, ADAT, AES, SPDIF.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ok, thank u very much, i understood everything , u perfectly explained what i did want to know!
No problems here then, i will buy and use them both!

thavenchy1th wrote:

ok, thank u very much, i understood everything , u perfectly explained what i did want to know!
No problems here then, i will buy and use them both!

Many thanks and enjoy your new solution.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13