Topic: Efficiency of non standard buffer sizes ?

Hello everyone,

I wonder is there any sort of performance/efficiency penalty to using non standard buffer sizes ?
For example if I still have occasional clicks/pops at 128 samples, would setting it to say 151 samples have any additional consequences ?

Re: Efficiency of non standard buffer sizes ?

What recording interface do you use ?

Where do you set such buffer sizes like 151 ? The RME driver settings dialog doesn't support such values.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It's the buffer size in Reaper, in Mac. So you're saying it rolls over to next round size ?

4 (edited by ramses 2018-11-02 14:24:18)

You didn't tell that you work on Mac.

I was referring to RME ASIO drivers, which are only applicable for Windows.

I am not sure whether the things that you intend to do are valid
for Mac OS / your application.

Maybe somebody else has an idea.

One general question of interest where can you set the buffer sizes.
In Mac OS on driver level and / or in the application ?
For my personal feeling it makes only sense to set this in one location
either the OS or the application.
And the application maybe would "tell" to the driver, I want to use buffer size "XYZ".

But as most things in the IT world is based on binary logic, I would feel more
comfortably with values like 32, 64, 128 and so on.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Unlike windows, I am not aware of any system level setting on Mac where you can see or adjust the buffer size.

Reaper however does provide a sample accurate setting where you're free to set an odd number. The reported in/out latencies that Reaper displays update accordingly.

brk wrote:

Hello everyone,

I wonder is there any sort of performance/efficiency penalty to using non standard buffer sizes ?
For example if I still have occasional clicks/pops at 128 samples, would setting it to say 151 samples have any additional consequences ?

I'd says, if it solves your issue, then use it wink

If there are negative side effects, then I would expect them to appear rapidly.