Topic: ARC USB Firmware Update for SysEx Communication (Mac first)

The ARC USB uses simple MIDI notes for its communication with TotalMix FX. Unfortunately there are some MIDI programs that can not handle the flow of MIDI messages of the ARC USB, which causes dropped notes and other ill effects. The majority of problems is under macOS and with Logic, but not exclusively.

A fix might be to change from simple MIDI notes to SysEx messages. These are usually ignored, but will be specifically used by TotalMix FX.

For this to happen the ARC USB needs to be flashed to a new firmware version that adds a SysEx mode. We opted to not remove the former mode as older versions of TM FX will only work this way. A newer version of TM FX will recognize the new ARC USB firmware version and SysEx mode (SE mode) will be used automatically.

So far the theory, now to the real-world application. First download and unzip these two files:

Update: beta phase is over, this is the link to the final firmware version which works with TotalMix FX 1.6 and up:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … mac_v7.zip

Exit TM FX and copy the new Totalmix into the Application folder. Overwrite the existing one (replace). Do NOT start it.

Hold down the buttons TALKBACK and DIM while connecting the ARC USB. Then all LEDs should be lit a tiny bit. The ARC USB is in programming mode.

Start the ARC USB Flasher app. If you did not follow the above instructions you will be notified to exit TM FX. If it doesn't find the current version number then the ARC USB is not in programming mode, see above.

If programming succeeds disconnect the ARC USB, exit the Flasher, start TM FX, reconnect the ARC USB. Now go to Options / ARC & Key Commands Settings, tab ARC USB. In the lower right beside the Default Encoder Function list the info string 'SE-Mode' should show up.

Now check if your former issues are resolved.

Thanks for any feedback!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ARC USB Firmware Update for SysEx Communication (Mac first)

You might encounter the following issue: after wakeup from sleep ARC communication is dead for up to 30 s. Simply wait, it will come back. We saw this effect on one of many tested Macs only, and it vanished even there later on. This will be fixed in a later version but should not prevent you from trying the new SysEx mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is great, MC. Installed it yesterday around lunch, and haven't had any issues in say 18 hours of working since. Before, I would have had to restart Logic about 10 times in that time. Glad this is solved!

RME Fireface 802 + RME ARC USB
Mac Pro 2010 | 12core 3.46ghz | 96gb
MacOS 10.13.6
Logic Pro X 10.4.2

This is great news

Sounds4all how are you getting on with it - issues resolved still?

Going to do this tonight

Sounds4All wrote:

This is great, MC. Installed it yesterday around lunch, and haven't had any issues in say 18 hours of working since. Before, I would have had to restart Logic about 10 times in that time. Glad this is solved!

Sounds4All wrote:

good news!!

macOS 10.12.6
MBP 11,3 (15" late 2013)
FF UCX FW v47 driver v3.08
RME ARC USB

Hi MC
What is the latest version of this that fixed the arc issue. I'm still running the beta 1.53b1? please tell me where to find total mix drivers can't find them hmm
Tristan

MC wrote:

The ARC USB uses simple MIDI notes for its communication with TotalMix FX. Unfortunately there are some MIDI programs that can not handle the flow of MIDI messages of the ARC USB, which causes dropped notes and other ill effects. The majority of problems is under macOS and with Logic, but not exclusively.

A fix might be to change from simple MIDI notes to SysEx messages. These are usually ignored, but will be specifically used by TotalMix FX.

For this to happen the ARC USB needs to be flashed to a new firmware version that adds a SysEx mode. We opted to not remove the former mode as older versions of TM FX will only work this way. A newer version of TM FX will recognize the new ARC USB firmware version and SysEx mode (SE mode) will be used automatically.

So far the theory, now to the real-world application. First download and unzip these two files:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tmfx_mac_153b1.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … mac_v7.zip

Exit TM FX and copy the new Totalmix into the Application folder. Overwrite the existing one (replace). Do NOT start it.

Hold down the buttons TALKBACK and DIM while connecting the ARC USB. Then all LEDs should be lit a tiny bit. The ARC USB is in programming mode.

Start the ARC USB Flasher app. If you did not follow the above instructions you will be notified to exit TM FX. If it doesn't find the current version number then the ARC USB is not in programming mode, see above.

If programming succeeds disconnect the ARC USB, exit the Flasher, start TM FX, reconnect the ARC USB. Now go to Options / ARC & Key Commands Settings, tab ARC USB. In the lower right beside the Default Encoder Function list the info string 'SE-Mode' should show up.

Now check if your former issues are resolved.

Thanks for any feedback!

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28270

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The Beta test phase is over, the Mac flasher for the ARC USB is now on the website's USB download page, including a readme on how to use it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have another perhaps odd thought. Not only the ARC USB remote can send SysEx, i.e. you could also configure e.g. DAW controllers to work like the remote. Right?
Is there any public list of these messages? I would like to try this out. :-)

No such list, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I get the following error from ARC USB Flasher.app, though the device appears to work when TotalMix FX is launched and subsequent attempts to flash the device show the current FW as version 7:

Read back reported errors at 9D8. Please close FlashTool, disconnect ARC USB and try again.

Is this cause for concern?

No need to worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ARC USB SysEx Update works great ; had the Logic X issues with midi notes ( mac ) . In addition you can/should filter
the SysEx data coming into Logic X . Go to : Projectpreferences - MIDI - Input Filter - SysEx     No SysEx data will be on the tracks

I had an issue on my Mac Mini M2 pro where the ARC was causing sylenth1 not to work correctly ... which was cured by switching the ARC in to sysex mode... unfortunatley i now cannot control total Mix FX with the ARC, no buttons work the dial does nothing.
Ive looked but don't seem to be able to find another setting i need to change.... is there any advise ??

Is that an older ARC USB? Tried the firmware update?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I thought i had done a firmware update .... but now you ask i think that may have been on the Babyface and not the ARC USB so will try that later thank you.

SO when switching to Sysex mode there are no other settings that need to change ?
I will filter sysex messages in the DAW's so there's no chance of messages bleeding accross.