Topic: Babyface output has to be driven more for +4dBu and less for -10dBv.

Hi RME Support,

I have a basic technical question regarding whether the balanced outputs of the RME Babyface (older version) send signals at +4dBu. Looking online everyone says that Balanced outputs means +4 dBu and unbalanced outputs is -10 dBv.

I have a pair of Focal Twin 6 Be monitors is connected via the Balanced XLR Outputs of my RME Babyface Soundcard which has an
(1) Output impedance of 75 Ohms and
(2) the Output level balanced at 0 dBFS is +15 dBu.

What I find strange is:

on the Focal Twin 6 Be, when I set the speakers at the +4dBu setting, I have to drive my Babyface output much more to get a good monitoring level for even say -18 db RMS (at -9 Output level on TotalMix FX)

Whereas at the -10dBv setting, I don't have to drive the Babyface output as much to get a similar level. I get -18 db RMS at say -15 or lesser Output level on TotalMix FX.

Can you please help clarify my confusion? Thank you so much.

I use them in a Professional Home Studio where I use the speakers for Tracking, Mixing and Mastering as well as casual listening to Music. Please advice.

Re: Babyface output has to be driven more for +4dBu and less for -10dBv.

Check the headroom of the Focals, that must be explained somewhere. +4 dBu is never the real level, and the amount of headroom varies largely. If -10 on them matches to your BF then there is no problem to use that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

The Maximum SPL (headroom I guess) on the Focals manual is 115dB SPL (peak @ 1m); the Input impedance is listed as Electronically balanced / 10 kOhms. I believe the Babyface's headroom is 112dB?

I don't really understand these technical details so would be really grateful if you can advise given your knowledge regarding the same, based on the above details.

No. The Focals must state what input level is necessary for full output power. This can't be +4 dBu or your ears would bleed already...when using the BF with +15 dBu...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I checked the manuals and forums for the Focals, they have not stated in detail regarding the +4 and -10 settings. But, when I set it to -10 dBv, the sound is much more louder and more details can be heard with lower output levels on the Babyface.

For example, I just changed the setting to -10dBv and played the same music at -12 output level on TotalMix and the RMS level peaks at -26 dB but generally is between -30 and -46 dB on TotalMix but the speakers sound much louder, as if the speakers are being driven super hot, sounds like PA level loud.

This is something the Focal Tech wrote on Gearslutz when someone asked a similar question, don't know if it helps?

"It seems a lot of people are intrigued on the +4 / -10 settings on Focals. I know this discussion is mainly centered around Twins, but every Focals have similar input gains.

Short answer : use +4 with +4 sources.

As you may have noticed, Focals, when compared side by side to other brands, at same volume, have less sound output. That's because most monitors at +4 have actually way too much gain! (you quickly realize that when your monitors are playing insanely loud and yet, you're not even halfway on your volume control!)

We're doing this for a couple of reasons. One of the main reason is that by having lower input gain, you can use the entire volume control effectively.

By doing that, chances are that you'll be monitoring at a volume position higher than 12 o'clock, which reduces signal to noise ratio (most consoles or monitor controllers use regular pots which do sound better at higher volume)

Still, you should be able to crank your Focals to really really loud levels anyway (as some have noticed, Twins in particular can reach PA-like levels pretty easily!"

I have contacted the Focal Support regarding the same too. But any help with your knowledge would be truly appreciated.

Thank you Matthias!