Topic: Connecting Babyface Pro and Neumann kh120 (digital input)

Hi,

long time RME user, will get straight to the point.

I would like to connect the Babyface pro to a pair of Neumann KH120d but through digital connectivity. (i know analog is possible)

THe Neumann Kh120d have an digital input, the AES/EBU and the connection is through BNC input, as we all know babyface has spdif/adat out.

I understand i will need a converter to process the SPDIF to AES/EBU the 75Ohm to 110OHm.
The problem i am having is really how to/when to/where to split the Spdif out to 2xdigital signals (L&R) and then on do the step up to AES/signal.

any ideas, with avoiding buying additional expensive units:-)

2 (edited by ramses 2018-11-05 22:05:21)

Re: Connecting Babyface Pro and Neumann kh120 (digital input)

Only a few suggestions shall money back be an option.

The €1000 more for the digital version of the speakers I would have invested into a ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 DAC.
I made myself the experience that the D/A converter inside of digital monitors are not really on par whats possible
nowadays and also the Neumanns are since long time on the market.

Same with i.e. Geithain RL906D, I could have saved the money for digital ...
D/A converter on UFX+ sounded already better and now with the ADI-2 Pro it is much of a difference.

If you have still the possibility for money back do so and get the normal version of the Neumann KH120.
Get then an ADI-2 Pro FS or DAC (better the pro).
Connect the ADI-2 Pro FS digitally to the BBFP and thats it.

You have much more from this combination... excellent D/A conversion for phones and speakers, dynamic loudness,
PEQ, compared to D/A conversion in the Neumann (spoils more money for the speakers with most likely no real big
benefits). On top of that you need to take care of this cabling issue.

See also my blog how to integrate the ADI-2 Pro /*. https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Sorry for the potentially "bad news", but if you have the possibility to re-think/re-decide, then better do now.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

thanks for your reply but i fear you might be missing my point. (I could go the analog way of hooking them up and avoid all the hassle)

to avoid the brand reference alltogether:-)
I am looking for a way to use the spdif out of my soundcard to connect the digital inputs of my studio monitors.

Or to ask a very specific question regarding the RME.
How do i split the spdif signal into L&R signal physically, because i would eventually like to connect my L&R speakers who has digital inputs, respectively. Albeit that i have to consider the format conversion.

Looking at pricier rme digital to digital converters would not solve it either since there is only 1x AES output with 2 signals embedded.

any thoughts?

p.s. why i am asking this? becasue i would like to use BFPro as a surround output card, and would use the spdif out to fill my Ls (surround) and Rs speakers, my Kh120d.

11miles wrote:

How do i split the spdif signal into L&R signal physically, because i would eventually like to connect my L&R speakers who has digital inputs, respectively. Albeit that i have to consider the format conversion.

The speakers should do this, i.e. one will extract one channel and forward the other to the second speaker. Check the Neumann manual.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by ramses 2018-11-05 22:45:27)

11miles wrote:

Hi Ramses,

thanks for your reply but i fear you might be missing my point. (I could go the analog way of hooking them up and avoid all the hassle)

to avoid the brand reference alltogether:-)
I am looking for a way to use the spdif out of my soundcard to connect the digital inputs of my studio monitors.

Looking at pricier rme digital to digital converters would not solve it either since there is only 1x AES output with 2 signals embedded.

any thoughts?

p.s. why i am asking this? becasue i would like to use BFPro as a surround output card, and would use the spdif out to fill my Ls (surround) and Rs speakers, my Kh120d.

You didn't tell anything whether you just bought the monitors or whether they are brand new.
You seem to miss my point completely, that if you still should have the possibility to return the KH120D
and to get the normal version, then you could get simply from the price differency a most likely much
better D/A conversion with the ADI-2 DAC and if you put smth on top you could get even the ADI-2 Pro FS instead.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Daniel,

thanks, that helps.

also how do i go phisically form BFpro TOslink out to bnc?

what about the sheer format conversion? unnecessary apart from impedance match?

found this while researching...

AES3id or S/PDIF to AES3
This conversion only requires impedance matching since the levels are smaller than AES3, but compatible. No satisfactory resistor-only network exists to convert between AES3id or S/PDIF and AES3 even though one appears in the AES3id document.