Topic: Direct Monitoring; how to turn it off on an input channel.

I am having a difficult time getting a mic into my computer without its input sounding over the speakers. I'm trying to connect using a Multiface II and Total Mix. How does one turn off direct monitoring on an input so that the mic signal going into the computer isn't heard over the speakers, but still reaches the computer....without messing up everything else? A previous answer did not help, and when I tried those options, they didn't work for me, and I had to spend a few hours reinstalling and rebuilding the TM ("Direct monitoring is off by default. You have two easy options to ensure the input monitoring is not active. Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback will set the mixer back to a default state. Or you can completely disable the input monitoring by switching modes. Options > Operational Mode > DAW mode.) I don't want to "reset the mixer" and lose all settings, and DAW mode just made a mess of things. Any help someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I must admit I am finding TM very confusing. Thanks.

Re: Direct Monitoring; how to turn it off on an input channel.

As monitoring is not on by default it most probably is done by your recording software. TM is only confusing when searching at the wrong place...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you, but I am working from the desktop of a Mac Pro for this and not using any recording software like Cubase or Logic. Just working with the Multiface II, TM and Sonarworks calibration software. If I plug a mic directly into an input, even with the faders all the way up, the signal is not strong enough, so I've had to add a preamp into the chain. Sorry, but IMHO, TM is far more complex than it needs to be, even if one does look in the right place.

The Multiface has only Line inputs, so OF COURSE you have to use a mic preamp. I don't get what that has to do with the complexity of TotalMix. Also TM is basically a monitoring solution. For your application it can be completely disabled/left alone. It won't change the record (input) data and is not needed for Sonarworks at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

playz123 wrote:

If I plug a mic directly into an input, even with the faders all the way up, the signal is not strong enough, so I've had to add a preamp into the chain. Sorry, but IMHO, TM is far more complex than it needs to be, even if one does look in the right place.

Consider that you need to give yourself more time, as you do not seem to know some important basics.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13